Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jacoba

Which RealityXP GPS to buy?

The 530 or the 430?

Which one fits into more add on planes?

I'm a bit of a payware snob, so all I fly are payware planes presently.

Ones I own that I feel are candidates for the RXP.

Eaglesoft Citation II (530)

Carenado C90B (530 or 430?)

Digital Aviation Cheyenne (430)

I'm also looking to add the RealAir Beech Duke (both piston and turboprop)

So which unit would be the more useful in your opinions, I know both is probably the best way to go... but for now which one to get?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It really is going to depend on the plane. The Dukes will use both, the C90 only the 430 directly, though some have managed to replace the Avidyne with the 530. Don't have the Citation or Cheyenne, so I can't say with them.

They're basically the same unit, with the 530 having the larger display and a few additional display/control related features. If you can fit the 530 and can only buy one, that's what I'd get as the larger display makes the unit far easier to read/use. The 430 probably fits in more planes, however, with its smaller size.

Scott

430 for versatility; 530 for specific applications; and if you are serious about it, buy both AND the unlimited pack upgrade.

....If i had to get one only, it would probably have been the 430. But the money I have spent on the RXP garmins is still some of the best I have put out for ANY addon for FSX.

430 for versatility; 530 for specific applications; and if you are serious about it, buy both AND the unlimited pack upgrade.

What exactly is this?

Is it the WAAS unlimited expansion pack?

WOW... both units @ $49.99 and the expansion pack @ $99.99... $200.00 for FSX add on's, man this hobby is getting crazy!

The unlimited pack allows you to crossfill flightplans between units, and to use multiple instances of each - e.g. two 430s or two 530s in a single panel.

I agree with the versatility of the 430, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you buy the 430, you'll be getting the 530 soon after. I don't think I made it two weeks. Yes, the $100 for the two of them is a lot, but as I've mentioned before, when amortized over all the airplanes I use them in and given the value I've gotten from them I consider them money VERY well spent.

The unlimited pack? I still haven't talked myself into that being worth $100 to me.

Scott

I agree that buying one will lead to buying the other, so skip that part and just buy both...

Would be nice if RXP offered some type of 530/430 package deal and even nicer if they offered a 530/430/Expansion pack deal.

RXP are free to charge whatever they want of course, but why are the 530 and 430 $49 each?

You should at least get a discount on one if you buy the other, they both use the same trainer and its not like you are purchasing a "physical" unit. One just has a bigger screen!

I have used the RXP units in the past when Dreamfleet used to provide a locked version in several of their aircraft, and yes, they are great but, and I stress that this is my own opinion, RXP will not get me to purchase at those prices. I would need the 530 and 430 to be universal across my addons and at $100 it's pushing it too far. Let's not even mention the crazy unlimited pack.....

Add into the fact that the support forum is "unofficial" with fairly regular complaints about support tickets not being answered and that is just about the icing on the cake for me.

On the other hand, if I was using one of these units in real life then the cost of the RXP version as a trainer would probably be money very well spent.

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course and each must make their own determination.......

My guess is the costs are high because of the licensing from Garmin.

As far as I know, and based on comments in the Flight 1forum, I don't believe there is any licensing from Garmin.

The RXP unit hooks into the freely available Garmin trainer

Well I'm sure some agreement exists between Garmin and RXP because they offer them as educational tools to flight schools etc... their market goes beyond the FS world.

Yes, the RXP units utilize the Garmin Trainer that Garmin chose to make freely available to aid in famialirity with their units. The price of the RXP units, especially when ported in to FSX and ported in such a way as to allow for two units that can crosstalk (the trainer on its own doesn't do this!) is for the all the R & D it took to get them there. Were it easy to do I am sure there would be some competition... there isn't!

Oh WOW, check this out!

Air Display on iPad 2 with RealityXP GNS 530 WAAS

A quote from a dev at F1 in June 2011: (available for anyone to read in the forum)

"You are talking apples and oranges.

RXP isn't licensing any data. He is hacking the Garmin trainer and making it work with FSX.

The data is embedded in the trainer and Garmin pays the licensing fee for that data to Jeppesen.  A very rare situation and one that I am surprised has lasted this long."

I would need the 530 and 430 to be universal across my addons and at $100 it's pushing it too far.

Value is, of course, in the eye of the buyer, but I don't understand this comment, Glenn. The 430 and 530 ARE universal across my addins. That's one of the reasons I find the investment to be worth what I've paid.

YMMV, but this is one of the FSX addins that I wouldn't want to live without.

Scott

Were it easy to do I am sure there would be some competition... there isn't!

Indeed. If someone can provide more for less, I'd certainly look at it. So far, no one has.

Scott

Yeah, sorry, did not word that well.

What I meant was that I would need to buy both the 430 and 530 as the addons I have use a combination of the two.

Buying just one would not give me the ability to use an RXP unit in each addon.

I have them both plus the unlimited pack and I never did regret the purchase.

David DD

If you value the ability to fly on vatsim/ivao/pilot edge with recent navdata RXP provides a good way to do it.

I bought the 430W a long time ago and only recently went to the 530W as well. The main reason I did is because I bought the BayTower RV7 and I wanted to be able to file /G on Pilot Edge with recent navdata.

It also fits very well in the Duke, Carenado T210, and Orbx Lancair

I would buy the 430W because it fits better in some older planes and generally it will fit in more planes than the 530. One feature the 430 lacks is DME readout and radial.... which the 530 has. They both give you terrain guidance.

I don't have the unlimited pack but would consider it eventually. Summer 2011 data is available, just search their simforums site...

edit: Thought I'd make a list of the planes they go into...

Most recent Carenado stuff...

T210 - both (native 3d bezels)

King air - 430 (native 3d)

C337 (both I think)

They'll both fit into some of the older planes like Arrow, seneca with some panel.cfg edits

RealAir Dukes - both (native 3d)

Flight1 PC12 - 430's with user panel edits

Eaglesoft SR22 - 430's with user panel edits

Baytower RV7 - 530 (native 3d)

Milviz 310R - both with user panel edits

Orbx lancair - the 430 requires some user edits, I believe the 530 will go by itself

Aerosoft katana 4x - 530 (native 3d)

Lotus L39 - 430 (native 3d)

Ant's Tecnam Sierra - 530 (native but as a 2d gauge)

RXP are free to charge whatever they want of course, but why are the 530 and 430 $49 each?

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course and each must make their own determination.......

I've bought lots of airplanes that are no longer in my hangar... but the RXP units

are with me on pretty much every flight (except for in the Scout)..

Worth every dollar IMHO

430 support is also native in the new F1 C177 Cardinal. (which is why I started looking into this again)

Where is Dreamfleet when you need them?. :Big Grin:

C337 (both I think)

No, actually just the 530.

This is why I continue to emphasize that the best one to start with depends on what planes YOU have. It's all well and good to generalize and say that the 430 will fit in more panels when considering all planes, but what each of us care about most is what fits in the planes we each have and especially the ones we fly the most. If, for example, the C337 only works well with the 530 and it's my most flown plane, then...

But again, I think most people will ultimately get them both after getting one - especially if they have a hangar full of planes that feature native integration. I have 9 planes, and 8 of them have RXP GPS's in the panels.

I'll add a couple of Carenado planes with full (3d) integration to Ryan's list for reference:

Carenado P46T Malibu JetProp - 430 and 530

Carenado A36 Bonanza - 430 x 2 (would require unlimited pack to use both)

Scott

I think most people will ultimately get them both after getting one

Wise man. I just bought the 430 after starting out with the 530 for a few yrs mainly for aircraft specific application. One of the top two best addons for FS! You can use them in anything similiar to the ISG1 gauges. Thinking about It, guess I decided on the 530 first for power and versatility more than realism. Flying in moutainous areas it is nice having the easy to read TAS of the 530 and I was doing alot of that at the time.

No, actually just the 530.

This is why I continue to emphasize that the best one to start with depends on what planes YOU have. It's all well and good to generalize and say that the 430 will fit in more panels when considering all planes, but what each of us care about most is what fits in the planes we each have and especially the ones we fly the most. If, for example, the C337 only works well with the 530 and it's my most flown plane, then...

Which is why I made a list...

If you count the total planes you can add the 430 to the number will be greater than the 530... Recently it's been more balanced with the 3d bezel option....

Either way I'm glad developers are allowing us to the put the 430/530W into our addons :) I'd be stuck flying tubeliners with navigraph support if it wasn't for RXP.

Flying in moutainous areas it is nice having the easy to read TAS of the 530 and I was doing alot of that at the time.

The 430W has tas readout too... either you can change display fields or go to the AUX page..

Which is why I made a list...

Understood. My comments weren't directed specifically at you, Ryan, I was just correcting the 337 info in your list and using the 337 to illustrate my point.

Scott

The 430W has tas readout too... either you can change display fields or go to the AUX page..

+

|Ryan Butterworth|

Yes tru. But the 530's physical size makes it much easier to read.