Sign in to follow this  
OrderlyChaos

High Altitude Jet Routes 737NGX FMC

This is a little bit off topic, but here is a flight plan from YBBN to YSCB:

DCT BN H62 MSO N0454F370 W180 SY N0450F360 H65 CB

Can someone tell me how to enter the highlighted way points into the fmc? What type of way points are these?

Can someone tell me how to enter the highlighted way points into the fmc? What type of way points are these?

Sounds like a waypoint Flightaware doesn't recognize.

You have to start and end such a sequence of airway entries with a waypoint. If you simply enter the DEP and ARR airports and try and enter a valid airway in the route page it will report INVALID ENTRY. The airway is in the database, but the airport isn't a waypoint on it.

That's because you shouldn't enter the arrival airport until the rest of the plan is setup. Enter DEP, go to the route page, then enter the airway on the left in the next line after the SID, then the waypoint after. Once that's done you can enter the arrival section. Keep in mind during many flights the arrival section is not filled in until in the air and confirmation of which arrival.

That should be SPEED (TAS, the "N" code means speed is expressed in knots) /flight level restriction for given waypoints. So for MSO you should apply restriction N0454 is TAS and F370 is FL370.

Now, I do not have idea how you can enter TAS in LEGS page restrictions....

Edited by g_precentralis

That should be SPEED (I think its GS, the "N" code means speed is expressed in knots) /flight level restriction for given waypoints. So for MSO you should apply restriction N0454 is GS (or TAS?) and F370 is FL370.

Now, I do not have idea how you can enter GS in LEGS page restrictions....

I guess that could make sense. The cruise alt was FL380 on that particular flight.

Here is another one which is a qantas flight. Cruise alt is FL340. I would assume the M073 is mach 0.73?

DCT LAV H62 MSO M073F330 W180 SY M073F320 H65 CB

So now that is sorted(thank you g_precentralis), does anyone know how to enter this into the fmc routes? Is it possible in the NGX?

That's because you shouldn't enter the arrival airport until the rest of the plan is setup. Enter DEP, go to the route page, then enter the airway on the left in the next line after the SID, then the waypoint after. Once that's done you can enter the arrival section. Keep in mind during many flights the arrival section is not filled in until in the air and confirmation of which arrival.

Nonsense, it doesn't say INVALID ENTRY because you entered the arrival airport, it says INVALID ENTRY because you tried to enter an airway without defining a starting waypoint (whether as a SID or simply a direct waypoint). See Ryan's post earlier in the thread.

I've never heard anyone suggest it's wrong to enter the arrival airport before entering the intervening route. You're right that you won't know the exact approach procedure and runway, but certainly do you know the airport you are intending to land at. The likely arrival may also be provisionally filled in since you know the direction you will be arriving from. This can always be changed later. Absolutely nothing wrong with entering the destination airport on RTE page 1 then entering the flightplan on RTE page 2.

Personally I tend to enter the route without a SID or STAR then save it as a CO ROUTE in case I want to use it again. Then all I have to do is enter the departure runway and SID for the prevailing conditions.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Nonsense, it doesn't say INVALID ENTRY because you entered the arrival airport, it says INVALID ENTRY because you tried to enter an airway without defining a starting waypoint (whether as a SID or simply a direct waypoint). See Ryan's post earlier in the thread.

I've never heard anyone suggest it's wrong to enter the arrival airport before entering the intervening route. You're right that you won't know the exact approach procedure and runway, but certainly do you know the airport you are intending to land at. The likely arrival may also be provisionally filled in since you know the direction you will be arriving from. This can always be changed later. Absolutely nothing wrong with entering the destination airport on RTE page 1 then entering the flightplan on RTE page 2.

Personally I tend to enter the route without a SID or STAR then save it as a CO ROUTE in case I want to use it again. Then all I have to do is enter the departure runway and SID for the prevailing conditions.

1+

So I have entered the flight plan into the fmc which is all ok, apart from the DCT waypoint not being in the database... but anyway. What format do I need to enter the speed and flight level details into the legs page at the waypoints? Because the format below just comes up as invalid entry...:

DCT LAV H62 MSOM073F330 W180 SY M073F320 H65 CB

As for the speed and flight lel: you set the flight level on the perf init page in the cruise alt box. Set cost index and the fmc will set economic cruise. You don't need to mess with this in the legs page. When you need to change cruise level, go to cruise page and change it.

A very simple way to deal with airways is select your route from FlightAware paste into Aivlasoft's EFB, add airport ID for Dep and Arr airports at the begining and end of route text string then activate and save in the PMDG .rte format and load into the FMC co route. Works like a charm every time.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Regarding N454F370 and N460F360 - this is because True Air Speed is a little different compared to constant mach at different flight levels. A six knot difference does seem a bit too much, nevertheless... a small difference in TAS in levels might just mean they intend to keep the same mach number, this time 0.79 or maybe 0.8

You don't put those on the route. That's just for ATC filing purposes.

DCT BN H62 MSO W180 SY H65 CB

Matt Cee