Sign in to follow this  
vergilmarquardt

Tutorials flights for PMDG 737

You'll get a "Not Found" error when trying to download.

Peter, AVSim is updating the library tonight. It will be up by 12:00 noon EST tomorrow (June 1st).

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I am using stock atc as well, bad hearing so online atc is not for me.

one tip: watch the descent point on the ND, and ask atc a decrease descent before you reach that point, say you are on FL320, ask a 10.000 feet decrease.

Don't wait until atc tells you to descent, because from that point on you are "stuck" with their commands, and they often are far to late with their descent path.

happy flying,

Ton v Dongen.

Peter, AVSim is updating the library tonight. It will be up by 12:00 noon EST tomorrow (June 1st).

Everything is back to normal and the good old one. Thank you.

Kind regards

Peter

Just curious - what do you feel like you're missing after the two we wrote?

I know there's a few things like ETOPS operations that haven't been covered yet, but I tried to explain pretty much everything you'd need to successfully complete almost any flight in the two we made...

I just bought the 737 package, but the first thing I noticed is that there's a HUGE gap between where FSX lessons stop and the PMDG aircraft begins. What you get to process when doing the tutorials added to the package is so much, not to speak about the 4000 pages manual, that this maybe is understandable for professional pilots, or people with a huge FSX experience, but not for someone who wants to expand his basic FSX lessons.

Its nice that the tutorial tells you everything you need to enter, but for example, I wouldnt know where to find the information myself. The tutorial points you to the charts at the end of the document, but thats a very small chart, it doesnt tell me anything about a flight from Paris Orly, to Hamburg and even if it did, there are several different SIDs and I still wouldnt know which one to choose...

Or as I experienced, I was still reading about descent in tutorial #1, while my aircraft was already flying past Schiphol and that with the whole flight pre-programmed. I wouldnt know what to do if ATC would direct me to another runway for landing, then the one programmed in the 5-6minutes you have after ATC gives you those directions...

Reading and using chart information just isnt there in FSX itself, you get a setup route from the flightplanner. From what I see in the tutorials, we're expected to know from using flight planner and FSX's GPS, how to read charts and know how to choose from all the options, and have full understanding of the FMC. Sorry, but this is just not gonna happen...

And like myself, I've got a concentration dyslexia, reading those manuals is gonna cost me years and I can promiss you, after reading them, I wont know anything of what is explained in them, this is way, way, way too much at once.

What is missing is a quickstart guide, that teaches you how to start using the aircraft with the basics FSX has tought you, flying by flightplanner and FSX's GPS, leaving the FMC for what it is and from there, short tutorials that add one, or a few new lesson at a time.

What I would like to know is how to start flying with the lessons I've learned from the FSX aircrafts, so I can grow into using new items from there on.

Cheers!

Maarten

I just bought the 737 package, but the first thing I noticed is that there's a HUGE gap between where FSX lessons stop and the PMDG aircraft begins. What you get to process when doing the tutorials added to the package is so much, not to speak about the 4000 pages manual, that this maybe is understandable for professional pilots, or people with a huge FSX experience, but not for someone who wants to expand his basic FSX lessons.

Its nice that the tutorial tells you everything you need to enter, but for example, I wouldnt know where to find the information myself. The tutorial points you to the charts at the end of the document, but thats a very small chart, it doesnt tell me anything about a flight from Paris Orly, to Hamburg and even if it did, there are several different SIDs and I still wouldnt know which one to choose...

Or as I experienced, I was still reading about descent in tutorial #1, while my aircraft was already flying past Schiphol and that with the whole flight pre-programmed. I wouldnt know what to do if ATC would direct me to another runway for landing, then the one programmed in the 5-6minutes you have after ATC gives you those directions...

Reading and using chart information just isnt there in FSX itself, you get a setup route from the flightplanner. From what I see in the tutorials, we're expected to know from using flight planner and FSX's GPS, how to read charts and know how to choose from all the options, and have full understanding of the FMC. Sorry, but this is just not gonna happen...

And like myself, I've got a concentration dyslexia, reading those manuals is gonna cost me years and I can promiss you, after reading them, I wont know anything of what is explained in them, this is way, way, way too much at once.

What is missing is a quickstart guide, that teaches you how to start using the aircraft with the basics FSX has tought you, flying by flightplanner and FSX's GPS, leaving the FMC for what it is and from there, short tutorials that add one, or a few new lesson at a time.

What I would like to know is how to start flying with the lessons I've learned from the FSX aircrafts, so I can grow into using new items from there on.

You could always start up your flights with the panel state with the engines running. For the flight route, you can build it in the default flight planner, and find a utility which concerts FSX flight plans to ones which can be read by the pmdg fmc. However, you can simply go to flightaware.com, and there you will see routes flown by actual real-world routes. Also, you can use http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/, which is a free route planner. You literally put your departure and arrival airports, and it gives you the SID's STAR's, and the enroute points. As for the performance calculations, these you can basically do with the fmc alone, but if you want to fly more like a default aircraft, you can simply takeoff and fly with vertical speed and level change modes. Hopes this helps at least a bit.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

@kjjj11223344 Thanks, that indeed might be helpfull, I'll have a look at it. :D

I'm just starting to look outside of the native FSX aircrafts and with all the 5-star reviews I got PMDG, but working through the manuals and tutorials it seemed so much at once...

But I'm gonna have a go at it and see where it takes me, thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Maarten

Just got done with Tutorial 2 and really appreciate the time and effort that went into making it Ryan. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the information you've presented but it's slowly sinking in as I lather, rinse, repeat. I certainly understand much more about the aircraft than I did prior to both tutorials.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but is there any chance you could add a missed approach tutorial in there somewhere? Maybe an addendum to one of the tutorials already published?

Tony

@Ryan. nice tutorials. I have flown both but I also you FSX ATC and I missed some things that I had to find out myself. another thing I want to request for the 777 upcoming tutorials...dont use frame heavy airports for the tutorials please. I have mega airport heathrow and mega airport amsterdam and putting me there with the ngx wasnt that much of fun...

Lukas Dalton