Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Sad sad news about our Carbon Cub

I am quite surprised that some of the "pilots" posting on this this thread can be reduced to fits of hysteria over a minor issue like this. Wonder how they would react in a real cockpit when confronted with some type of problem.....????? :Thinking:

"Fits of hysteria" and even "Minor" are characterizations that attempt to frame the current dismay and voicing of same (so far quite politely) in such a way as to discredit it as invalid. One is then left to react on the basis of whether one accepts the attempted framing. I reject it in this instance. Should someone in fact threaten self immolation, I will reconsider. Until then, and as long as it remains civil; no.

Right now, the most I see is some "minor" hyperbole.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hate to add fuel to the fire here, but the Carbon Cub, while an amazing STOL aircraft, is not even a practical airplane for the bush country such as Alaska. Empty weight is 900 and you only get about 420lbs of useable weight out of the max 1320lbs (2 pilots already alone are like 400lbs). That does not leave much room for simple cargo like rifles, survival supplies, rations, etc. So, for missions and jobs, you won't be using the CC for anything other than sightseeing. If anything, they should have at least included the famous Super Cub which can take much more cargo.

Let's hope that "basic" means it's the Stearman for Alaska....sightseeing and frozen hamburgers.

I would bet they mean Basic as opposed to Deluxe.

I think peoples frustration other than lack of information, is that they want feature X now and not later. I know I am in that camp. I do believe Microsoft will get it done. It will just take time.

I am quite surprised that some of the "pilots" posting on this this thread can be reduced to fits of hysteria over a minor issue like this. Wonder how they would react in a real cockpit when confronted with some type of problem.....????? :Thinking:

You mean the problem of the entire nose of the plane falling off, taking your panel and all visual references of the aircraft forward of your seat with it?

That never happened to me in a plane.

Yet. <knock knock>

And it's cold & noisy like that too

And it's cold & noisy like that too

Puts me in mind of this, though...

Maybe your grand kids got tired of stutters, and glitches and crashes and blue screens of death and programming that is over a decade old. :Party:

Maybe your experiences with inferior old Computers,your lack of expertise,has put you in a black hole....NEVER have I had those problems...Not with up to date,fast,,tons of memory,and the latest NVIDIA card..for a my. computer...Seems you may be in a small minority with yer problem with FS9,or FSX...which as of today are incomparable as Flight Sims,and are not a Game!...The Whole World is my Plum.in them..With every Plane that ever was./...I detect a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT by you with FLIGHT..and like the KIDS we are ...Ya can Not Accept it....Neither can I,and if FLIGHT does not have a reasonable complete planes??? They have lost a lot of customers!..Sorry they have chosen poorly,hopefully diminishing sales will prompt them to have a greater degree of a SIM,along with their game!..We shall see.....As far as my Kids?..yes this TOY is just fine for them! :Nerd:..HAVE FUN!!

Well let's see......

If the cockpit goes dark, my Garmin 696 "portable" goes to battery. If that fails, then the backup GPS on the right side should still be working. And if all of the GPS satellites are knocked out of orbit, then I can pull my handheld nav/comm out of the bag. Of course I'd need some altitude and VORs within range. But up to that point, I've been following along on my up to date sectional..........so I'm immediately not lost, anyway.

I loved the Piper Cub in the last few versions of FS and it was my favorite airplane. But, I would not pay money for a Cubcrafters Cub when I already have a Stearman and a Maule, both STOL aircraft.

The initial reaction from so many people is what I too felt, however. We are so used to complete airplanes and thus we feel cheated and angry when something is different. Especially when that something is so important as a cockpit, arguably the most important part of an airplane. All the rest is just "eye-candy" as the "serious" airline simmers might say.

It does not make much sense for MGS to release another airplane without cockpit after such a long stream of cockpit-less aircraft. There have been great outpourings of angst and anger because of them, although they certainly seem to have sold a number of copies.

I wonder what it all means. It is just speculation on my part (and what else could it be?), but MGS has gone to great trouble to satisfy a minority of users with the last update, those who use TrackIR and those who have rudder pedals. So, perhaps they have bundled this cockpit-less airplane with Alaska so as not to offer it as separate DLC. Perhaps the DLC aircraft next up will be sold apart and have a full working panel, (perhaps it will be a Beaver with floats.) Perhaps by bundling this airplane with Alaska they are responding to the complaints and marketing that type of aircraft differently so that it will be perceived as a bonus, a plus to the scenery and mission package.

Initially, when reading this news yesterday, I thought to pass on Alaska. After all, I have never once flown there in past versions of FS, or in Hawai'i either. It is not my part of the world, not what interests me. But, now, I shall most likely get the Alaska Wilderness Pack.

I tend to get over my anger and disappointment very quickly, much more quickly than most people. Because I have enough problems in my life (really a lot!, but then probably so do you) without adding to them over what is only a video game. So, it took me just one night's sleep to recover my serenity and put all of this in its proper place.

I remember telling some of the airline simmers back at the beginning in the Beta Discussion Group: if what you are doing does not make you happy, then you should find something to do that will make you happy. Life is far too short to waste time. And this is valid now as well.

Best regards.

Luis

You mean the problem of the entire nose of the plane falling off, taking your panel and all visual references of the aircraft forward of your seat with it?

That never happened to me in a plane.

Yet. <knock knock>

First of all, nobody really knows if the new Cub has a cockpit or not, it is purely speculation on everyone's part. I saw the same thing happen when FS9 and FSX was introduced and everyone was convinced that the new sim would have this and that, and it wouldn't do this and that, and 90% of it was totally wrong. So to get worked up over something, that might not even be true, to me is a total waste of time. Meanwhile, I have enough aircraft in Flight at the moment, that I can use so more practice time flying. When I master the Stearman and Maule, then I might start to worry about the Cub.

As far as Alaska, when I had Misty Fjords on my FS9 and some other Alaska scenery, I flew around in that scenery for almost a year, and never once was I bored or felt like I wasn't challenged. I am sure it will be the same if not better in the Flight Package.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Well let's see......

Once my electrical system went...At night,Full moon,in VFR..in a AZTEC,fumbling with a pen light ,i tried to read the Whiskey Glass Compass..Literately my nose was on it....We were in mountains...and my concern was that the Ground Would Come Up And Smyth Me...No Desk Top Thing Here,No Reset Button...no pause for a Fridge break..As far as "HYSTERIA"/One has no time for that.in real situations..Best thats left in yer bedroom.,or looking at ones self in front of a full length mirror!....Now in a GAME world? all reality is left to ones imagination..in a Real world? no time for HYSTERIA.....All Airline Pilots,all the Captains spend lots of time in Simulators..its required...its a learning ,and a review tool for coping for emergency .....I see that Hudson River Landing was not a HYSTERICAL LANDING.....Try that on a SIM,and see what you would do....OOH! Yes upon landing ,My knees were knocking...a Bit.....HAVE FUN and HAPPY LANDINGS!!.. :Peace:

Maybe your experiences with inferior old Computers,your lack of expertise,has put you in a black hole....NEVER have I had those problems...Not with up to date,fast,,tons of memory,and the latest NVIDIA card..for a my. computer...Seems you may be in a small minority with yer problem with FS9,or FSX...which as of today are incomparable as Flight Sims,and are not a Game!...The Whole World is my Plum.in them..With every Plane that ever was./...I detect a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT by you with FLIGHT..and like the KIDS we are ...Ya can Not Accept it....Neither can I,and if FLIGHT does not have a reasonable complete planes??? They have lost a lot of customers!..Sorry they have chosen poorly,hopefully diminishing sales will prompt them to have a greater degree of a SIM,along with their game!..We shall see.....As far as my Kids?..yes this TOY is just fine for them! :Nerd:..HAVE FUN!!

So when I look at the FSX Forum, as I do periodically and I see threads about this crashing, and weird problems like blocks in the sky , flashing runways, out of memory, as I did this morning, then I must be reading about problems that people are just imagining. Or how about an entire forum devoted to "crashes to desktop"? Same goes for FS9 forum devoted to software that is almost a decade old and still problematic. I have about 30 hours on Flight already and it hasn't locked up, frozen, CTDed or anything else that is even slightly problematic. Only thing I had to do was turn off Vertical sync, to get rid of a highly intermittent slight stutter in the Stearman. That's it. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours tracking down problems in FS9 and previous versions. To me, going back to that, is like me going out today and buying a tube type TV set with a turrent tuner.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

First of all, nobody really knows if the new Cub has a cockpit or not, it is purely speculation on everyone's part.

Actually, no, it is not.

MICROSOFT defined "Basic Plane" as having no cockpit. That is NOT a designation we came up with.

Once my electrical system went...At night,Full moon,in VFR..in a AZTEC,fumbling with a pen light ,i tried to read the Whiskey Glass Compass..Literately my nose was on it....We were in mountains...and my concern was that the Ground Would Come Up And Smyth Me...No Desk Top Thing Here,No Reset Button...no pause for a Fridge break..As far as "HYSTERIA"/One has no time for that.in real situations..Best thats left in yer bedroom.,or looking at ones self in front of a full length mirror!....Now in a GAME world? all reality is left to ones imagination..in a Real world? no time for HYSTERIA.....All Airline Pilots,all the Captains spend lots of time in Simulators..its required...its a learning ,and a review tool for coping for emergency .....I see that Hudson River Landing was not a HYSTERICAL LANDING.....Try that on a SIM,and see what you would do....OOH! Yes upon landing ,My knees were knocking...a Bit.....HAVE FUN and HAPPY LANDINGS!!.. :Peace:

My CFI, when I first started learning night flying back in the 70's told me that if the engine ever quit at night ( this was on the Miami Area of Florida), and I couldn't restart it, I should wait until I get down to about 100 feet AGL and turn the landing lot on, and if i didn't like what I saw, turn it back off again... I thought about that for the rest of the hour of dual we had that night.

spacer.png