Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Do you like the "mouse for flying..." in MS FLIGHT?

I use the mouse only with my laptop, when I 'm not at home...

At home, I use the Saitek Yoke, Pedals, TPM-module.

Sometimes I use the Saitek X52 instead of the yoke, but not often (when I make "acrobatics")

Gesendet von meinem X10i mit Tapatalk 2

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

Also agree about the twist thing..I wish I had a yoke/pedals, but I don't really have the space..it's all on my home office PC, which I have to use for work a lot when I'm not at work..

I am going to try the mouse tonight for a bit..you can switch between easily, right? There's a mouse-mode key - is it a toggle?

Try the CH USB Yoke/Peddles package. I use my computer for work as well with no issues concerning space with these controllers.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have about about 150 hours in a C172SP. I've had my license for a few years now.

If I have time (ie - 20 minutes or more), I'll plug in my Saitek AV8R and TrackIR and fly around in Flight using those. I prefer a joystick (and some kind of rudder control) any day. Especially for crosswind or off-airport landings.

That being said, I often have less than 20 minutes to fire up Flight and do some "sight seeing". In those situations (which have been the vast majority of my time since I installed Flight), I have found the mouse to be very useful and a completely acceptable and enjoyable way to do simple flying. Much better than it was implemented in FSX.

I have a Logitech 3D pro but started using the mouse the past few days to see what it was like and found that it's actually a pretty good way to fly if you don't want to bother with all the trimming. It is less realistic but pretty convenient especially when looking around, which is much better with the mouse than with the hat switch.

if you have a side wind, lets say it's a magically consistent side wind, of around 20kts.

Do you point the mouse in the dead center, with the plane pointed towards your destination or

point the mouse dead center with the plane pointed a bit into the wind direction to compensate for the wind but travelling directly towards the destination, as I would with a joystick or

do you point the mouse a bit off in the direction of the wind, to compensate?

Basically, at dead center, does the mouse autotrim, or is the autotrimming aspect more like a "joystick lock" in that I can place the mouse pointer where I need to to trim correctly, but unlike a joystick, I can leave it there hands off?

sorry, this post looks confusing now that I read it back to myself.

I did an Alaska RV-6 landing challenge yesterday strictly using the mouse which had 17kt crosswinds. I made the approach as I normally would with a joystick by pointing the nose off-center of the runway into the direction of the wind and that seemed to work since I got gold. I also did the Maule ILS with the mouse, got silver but the Maule seemed a little more unruly to control with the mouse.

I'm a casual flyer, usually put off by all the numerous keyboard commands of simulators, but I decided to download Flight and give it a try. I've been enjoying the free island and planes a lot and fly with mouse most of the time, except for aerobatics and occasional rudder on landings using the keyboard.

I've also turned my Dad onto flight and with zero computer gaming experience he took to it immediately and was able to enjoy himself with the simplicity of mouse flight.

Since starting with the free MS Flight, I picked up a console WWII combat sim (with 100 planes with cockpits) and flight stick. Although the stick is PC compatible, I haven't bothered to try it with Flight, since mouse and keyboard is enough for casual flying around the island. Keyboard control isn't great for subtle corrections, but it's enough for a few stunts. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to plugging in the stick.

I'm still on the fence about buying into Flight because of the limited planes and areas and the whole piecemeal DLC strategy. I'm thinking about ordering FSX Gold to fly more planes and see more of the world. Flight has gotten me interested enough that I'm ready to start learning all the simulator keyboard shortcuts. As for buying Flight, I'll probably wait until there is a reasonably priced bundle including more areas and more planes (a dozen or two would be nice).

Flying with a mouse?.

25 years ago, maybe. Right now with all kind of joysticks you can find out there, I see no reason for that.

Not only do I fly with the mouse, but my mouse is actually a trackpad on my laptop...

I have an Extreme 3D in the closet that I used for FSX, but Flight works perfectly with the trackpad, so I haven't even felt the need to drag it out and plug it in.

Well, I'm in a flight right now...flying with the mouse.

All I will say is that some proper work has gone into making it fly like it does with the mouse...it has inertial damping and auto-yaw control...it is good for stabilising the plane in rough weather..I can fly with it!

It Just Feels Weird. :smile:

If only all that mouse-control work had gone into a better map.... :wink:

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

1. Yes, I like that they have that options for people that don't have joysticks or for people that like flying with the mouse. More options is better because It let more people enjoy this sim/game. And more users recruited better for all of us, meaning flighsims can have a future.

I never let a mouse do the flying....a cat or dog, maybe, but never a mouse. :LMAO:

first aircraft with no VCs become the norm and now flying with a mouse, man, simming makes less and less sense to me daily.

Best, Michael

KDFW

first aircraft with no VCs become the norm and now flying with a mouse, man, simming makes less and less sense to me daily.

I believe I understand your feelings,but at the same time I ask myself why does it feel so much closer to flying for real than before? It puzzles me :-|

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I fly with a mouse, never set my foot in a cockpit in RL. Like you I am amazed at how well it works, except for aerobatics. Planning to buy a yoke and some pedals eventually, but I fear the fun will just be too much, I spend way too much time in Flight as it is :wink:.

A big yes. Mouse control works beautifully; I do not have room for a joystick or rudder pedals.

Am currently on vacation and will get Alaska when I get home; looking forward to it!

Ken

So, with the 34 answers I got I decided to separate the answers in three groups:

- Yes = I like it / often use it.

- Sometimes = used sometimes, even if as some sort of CWS/AP.

- No = don't like it / don't use it / used it but quited when got the "proper hardware".

Around 59% use the mouse, and of those, 20%, based on the info I got, have a pilot license.

41% do not use, don't like or used but replaced by dedicated control hardware. Of those, around 36% have a pilot license.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...