Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Basler BT-67 Turbo Conversion DC-3 released

That did it CoolP. There was no definition in the .cfg file. Now the engines are the loudest thing heard in the cockpit. You (and the others) are the greatest!

John Wingold

I finally found the time to install and fly this bird.

All I can say is.....WOW!!!

If this isn't the nicest freeware plane out there, it's gotta be top 3.

Thanks to all who put her together.

Is there, or will there be, a paint kit available for it?

Thanks again.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Had no time to continue uploading and working on more textures.

Need to work and earn money to buy a graphic tablet

Small update on todays work:

Basler Airlines (N300BF) W.I.P.

bt-67_n300bfx8ig4.png

More textures are on their way!

Upcoming release: US Forest Service (N142Z)

Had no time to continue uploading and working on more textures.

Need to work and earn money to buy a graphic tablet

Small update on todays work:

Basler Airlines (N300BF) W.I.P.

bt-67_n300bfx8ig4.png

More textures are on their way!

Upcoming release: US Forest Service (N142Z)

Looking good. You gotta eat to play.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks for the continuing stream of repaints. I took the Basler on a cargo flight from Lihue, Hawaii west to Tern Island. The flight was about 900 miles round trip. I buzzed the coral landing strip to get the turtles and the sea gulls off of it before landing. I think the Basler will be perfect for cargo flights in the Hawaiian Islands.

I wonder if in real life if it would be possible to actually fly one from the mainland to Hawaii. The distance is outside the normal maximum range. Maybe extra ferry tanks in the fuselage? One problem I foresee is the prevailing winds would probably be headwinds.

EDIT-Checking with www.gcmap.com a flight from San Francisco KSFO to Hilo, Hawaii PHTO would be approximately 2015 nm. If I could average 180 kts, the flight would last just under thirteen hours. That's with no adjustment for winds.

Please let me correct myself on the BT-67's range. The documentation says it has a range of 2140 nm using the long range tanks. According to this figure, the stock BT-67 would have the range to make a flight to Hawaii from California. The payload has to be lessened to no exceed the MTOW.This figure does not consider any effect by winds aloft.

The long range fuel load is 10,606 lbs(The payload has to be lessened to no exceed the MTOW). The climb performance chart shows that climbing to 9,000' would use 271 lbs of fuel at 95% torque and an average climb rate of 700 fpm.

Rounding that figure up to 300 lbs to allow for engine startup and taxi, that leaves 10,303 lbs remaining for the cruise portion of the flight.

The cruise chart says at 9,500', the BT-67 uses 932 lbs an hour at 80% torque. This means that you have fuel for 11.05 hours of flight. At the shown cruise speed of 177 kts shown in the chart, you have a cruise range of 1956 nm.

I am planning on recreating a flight that took place in 1941 when three DC-3's were flown to Hawaii from Oakland, California. They were being delivered to Hawaiian Airlines. All three DC-3's had been outfitted with long range tanks in place of seats in the passenger compartment.The flight took off from Oakland (KOAK) and landed at John Rodgers Field (PHJR) on Oahu.

The flight I have planned from KOAK to PHJR has a distance of 2,116 nm. To be safe, I have installed virtual ferry tanks in the passenger compartment of my BT-67. I did not modify the aircraft.cfg at all.

Here is my plan. After adding a third relief pilot (170 lbs) to the crew, I figured out how many pounds of payload I had left (not including the 510 lbs of crew weight and 300 lbs of cargo) before reaching MTOW. I came up with a figure of 1578 lbs or approximately 235 gallons remaining for my virtual ferry fuel. The weight of the ferry tank is not considered as it balanced out with the weight of seats removed from the cabin.

My plan is to add the 1578 lbs of ferry fuel to BT-67's main and auxiliary fuel tanks using the Fuel and Payload tab at the later stages of the flight. I then will remove the 1578 lbs from the payload to simulate transferring the fuel. This now gives me a usable fuel load of 12,184 lbs with out exceeding MTOW. This should give me a surplus in case I encounter headwinds. Flight time should be approximately twelve hours.

Wish me luck!

Yikes! 12 hrs. Wish you luck on the weather and a lot of fun. :smile:

Thanks, CoolP. Hopefully, I will not have to use the ferry fuel tanks at all. If all goes well at home, I will try and takeoff early tomorrow morning. It all depends on what NOAA says are the winds aloft at 10,000' tomorrow. They are supposed to be 8-12 kts for the next 24 hours from varying directions. What FSX Real Weather says is anybody's guess!

Hawaiiherewecome.jpg

My ship for the trip!

Hi all

I'm now intrigued by this aircraft. The original link is dead, sorry for asking a dumb question but in the interests of avoiding 13 pages of link-searching for some of us, could the OP be updated with the right link? Thanks :)

Hi all

I'm now intrigued by this aircraft. The original link is dead, sorry for asking a dumb question but in the interests of avoiding 13 pages of link-searching for some of us, could the OP be updated with the right link? Thanks :)

Just go to www.flightsim.com file library and search in the FSX files for the Basler BT-67. You will find the original aircraft download as well as several nice repaints by Cheese-Strike. Enjoy it!

Euh.. altough nice, I like the music of the radials much more.. albeit slower, but oh so nice!

Euh.. altough nice, I like the music of the radials much more.. albeit slower, but oh so nice!

Oh I'm with you! As far as freeware aircraft go though, this is really nice.

The Hawaii flight is over. The developers will be happy to know that the BT-67 is able to fly all the the way from Oakland, California to Hawaii on the long range tanks. The ferry fuel I added was not needed at all. The stats-

Takeoff: 07:50 MST

Fuel onboard: 10,606 lbs at engine startup.

Distance: 2,116 nm + 20 nm in approach pattern

Land: 19:11 MST

Total elapsed time: 11 hours 21 minutes

Fuel remaining at engine shutdown: 618 lbs

Average speed: 188.5 kts GS

Fuel Usage: 880 lbs/hour

I started out using an 80% Torque setting, but then I lowered it to 70% to save fuel. During the last hour or so of the flight, I increased the torque back up to 80% when I knew the was enough fuel remaining to finish the flight.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I get them back from the Kalaeloa Walmart. LOL