Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

Why You Need to Leave UAC Turned ON

If you call irresponsible surfing "here" i.e. at AVSIM or Anandtech... then yeah... I am guilty as charged.

"Infecting using javascript has been around for awhile, the thing that makes this one different is all you have to do is load the page containing the ad. You do not even need to click on the ad for it to infect the pc" http://forums.anandt....php?p=29544429

I keep saying I am going to buy VMware and do all my surfing inside a vm. :p0305:

Hello

Try this https://www.virtualbox.org/

I stand corrected! That OBX trip threw me off.

:P

Seriously tho... yes I understand... and no doubt I had become lax in my browsing the past few weeks (ESET was off... was using IE... and yes shame on me i know). Thanks for the no-script tip.

Thanks mad dog.

These knuckleheaded malware coders... and "C'mon Sun... get with it!"

Oh I miss the good ol' days when getting a virus meant sloppy sharing of diskettes. :Big Grin:

There are several keys to UAC being viable for a simmer...

1. Do not install FSX to the Program Files folder. Install it to a new folder without access restrictions. For example, C:\FSX. It makes accessing the folder much easier also.

2. When installing anything, right click it and select Run as Administrator.

3. Do the same with FSX (Run as Administrator). You can set this up to happen automatically in the shortcut to FSX by selecting Properties and setting it there.

With the above, you can actually have some success with UAC on.

In any case, make sure that Java is always running the latest version. Most of the malware I have seen enters through Java (not so much Javascript as that is something different)... so make sure you have the latest here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp.

Of course make sure you are up to date on Flash player also: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html.

So you CAN run with UAC, but you MUST know what you are doing. In product support we have to tell folks many times to disable this or that when in a sense it would not really be needed if they knew all the ins and outs of using UAC and computer security products.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Restoring the system last Friday to the previous Friday's state got my machine running again.

Just a curious question. I know you said it was your development machine but did the system restore have any negative consequences for you r Flight Simulator set up? As my add-on selection keeps growing I would be a bit worried about system restore mucking things up.

Hi all - to clarify my UAC point, if it is set to its highest level any system type operations will result in a verification prompt. This includes writing files to the system32 folder and updating the registry. Both of these operations are required for the 'sire' trojan to successfully install.

It really doesn't matter what the script kiddies are using as UAC will intercept the copy and registry update operations.

The other thing I forgot to mention is to leave the Windows Firewall enabled and don't assume that your IC provider has one in place to protect you.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png