Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Thinking of taking the plunge for P3D

Hello,

After many frustrating years with FSX I am looking at the very attractive $50 academic license. Just a few questions for it.

Does it provide the same performance and stability increases as the professional one and as a percentage how many of your products from FSX now work on Prepar3D as well?

Thanks,

97% of my products work 100% in Prepar3D*

1% Don't work at all and are just broke or crippled on purpose

1% Sorta work by doing some manual installation**

1% Don't work 100% but work enough where it doesn't distract from the product at all. ie: A particular planes panel button clicking audio, gear, and flap audio won't play but engine, starter, wind, prop noise etc audio does work.

* - Carenados planes require disabling Prepar3Ds water reflections to function correctly. This is a known Prepar3D bug and version 1.4 will fix the issue

** - As far as aircraft go one of the first things you should do to maximize compatibility is copy over FSX's default gauges and aircraft because not everything that was default in FSX is default in Prepar3D.

I pretty much avoid discussion further than this about this topic now though. It's a very tabu subject matter because of licensing concerns some developers have raised with cross installing products. More developers are supporting Prepar3D though and free of additional charges by making their products installable into Prepar3D or FSX like Orbx and Carenado to name just a few. Others aren't out right saying you're allowed to installl their products in Prepar3D, but they aren't saying you're not allowed to either. Kind of a looking the other way approach at addressing the matter. Best bet, read around this forum as is there are many threads to get you pointed in the right direction of installing things into Prepar3D (it's really quite simple) and trial and error on your own. If it works, it works and leave it at that. If it doesn't and it's not discussed already then well, it probably really doesn't work.. That's what most of us long term Prepar3D users have done (trial and error) and quite happy with LM's lovely product!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Thanks for the feedback, pointed me in the right direction. Now just gotta figure how to pay online.

I agree with the assessment above....I'd say 90%+ of my add-ins work, but it took a little work to get there. Plan on buying the migration tool that's out there and also a few small side-by-side license fees such as for RES Essentials....was less than $10 if I recall. Good luck.

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Just like to get an opinion on the performance. I have seen a few mixed opinions for the performance about it been on par with FSX and some blowing FSX out of the water, but how exactly does it compare to a well optimised FSX installation?

My experience with it on a newly custom built system has been excellent. I have not done any extensive testing, but in general I have found it to be very 'smooth' is probably the best word. A few spot checks with Fraps has yielded similar FPS or better in some situations as with FSX.

Just like to get an opinion on the performance. I have seen a few mixed opinions for the performance about it been on par with FSX and some blowing FSX out of the water, but how exactly does it compare to a well optimised FSX installation?

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Most people who complain about performance never disabled bathymetry. (ocean floor terrain for submersibles) It's definitely a better performer than FSX for me on the same levels of settings.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Speaking myself only.. Yes.. I don't spend any time tweaking or fighting with Prepar3D. I just fly.. Not that there aren't bugs here and there but the difference is LM is actively engaging with their user base to document the issues and actually fix them.

For a complete run down of what a lot of changes are since FSX read this post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/373587-prepar3d-whats-different/

Thanks for all those, that makes it even more well worth the upgrade! Honestly, it is good enough of Lockheed Martin just to give us a new piece of software that actually works, the rest can be up to developers. Just a question about updates. Are they paid incremental updates like from 1.2-3, and I have heard about the upcoming 2.0 release and how would that work?

VirginAus - what an unbelievable forum name, as I didn't think we had any in this country.

However I am one who has happily moved to P3D which in version 1.3, I describe as FSX on vitamins. LM have taken the ORPHANED MS FSX, hired some of the old ACES team and have begun to redevelop the simulator for commercial purposes. But they have not forgotten those outside the commercial simulation sector who also want to "learn" to fly or "brush up" on skills.

The $50 Academic version is the one for us, and has all the functionality of FSX and better performance. Each upgrade, the next is 1.4, is so complete that it requires a complete reinstallation. I find it no problem because I keep my game cleaned up by removing unused add-ons of all sorts.

If you do buy in, I have a cookbook approach to migrating FSX material to P3D - with the few limitations specified above by other members. Let me know.

Updates are free after the initial purchase.

From what I've read and understand point releases (1.4) will be free updates and new full version increments will be chargeable upgrades.. They haven't worked out a pricing plan yet but I'd assume if you're academic P3D 2.0 will require an entire new academic license purchase. Not sure how professional users would go whether another license purchase or a reduced upgrade offer.

Either way I don't mind, well worth paying LM for the continued development of the platform..

VirginAus - what an unbelievable forum name, as I didn't think we had any in this country.

I think the airline may be the only one :wink:

I'm also thinking about P3D.

I read for a few times now that they are working on P3D 2.0 or something like that. Does anybody know if this is going to be a free upgrade or a completely new product and if 2.0 is still going to have Academic license option?

I'm also thinking about P3D.

I read for a few times now that they are working on P3D 2.0 or something like that. Does anybody know if this is going to be a free upgrade or a completely new product and if 2.0 is still going to have Academic license option?

Where did you read that? I'm curious to because I'm thinking about it too.