Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Thinking of taking the plunge for P3D

Hello

I don't want to blame Flight1 they are by far my favourite publisher.

But perhaps Jim should reel him in a bit, maybe get him on a customer service course before he does anymore damage.

I think it is pretty clear that Flight1 see FSX and P3D as two totally separate businesses.

Our desire to see a consumer version of P3D emerge, is not in line with their business plan.

Bert

Our desire to see a consumer version of P3D emerge, is not in line with their business plan.

Hello

Well I must be out of line with their business plan being that I am one of those "Hobby kiddies"

despite being 54 years old.

If LM makes it a condition of entry for devs to develop for the professional version that they also release consumer versions for the Academic licence they will change their tune.

Taking the P3D plunge on my birthday Friday. dance_bandwagon.gif

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

This is what NickN was referring to:

Quote John Nichols:

I have stated in the past and I will state again. The upgrade pricing has yet to be worked through the business and we are still a ways off from release of Version 2.0, so we will be making an announcement when we are able to about this price. It is for the Professional version only. There will be no upgrade price for the Academic version, major releases will need to be purchased, (i.e. you would need to buy version 2.0, 3.0 etc and I hope that this was how my last post was read BTW and perhaps that is why you are angry by misunderstanding my post) however those users will continue to get free access to updates as point releases when they are available. Again this is consistent with normal industry practice. Developers continue to get access to the most recent versions for the same subscription price.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=924

You can read that to say that there will be NO Academic version 2. You could also read it as there will be an upgrade path for the Pro version but no discount for academic version. Either way, it will not be a free upgrade.

Considering - *IF* the P3D product was an exceptional improvement to FSX *AND* there were no other players in the market, would a $200 price tag be too high? I've spent a helluva lot more than $200 on add-ons, hardware etc through the years so it is something I would consider.

So far, many developers have gone along with the flow and have no problem with running their product on P3D. Others are developing a P3D version which will probably have a nominal fee. Then there are those who do NOT have a P3D version but are still adamant that one should NOT use their product on P3D.

Tons of arguments can be made on either side - frankly I don't care - I am only interested in having a trouble free sim experience and enjoying myself. I will use my purchased product where I see fit, period. *IF* a developer of a product that I purchased releases a P3D version, I will buy it rather than port it over myself but if there is no P3D version available and the FSX version runs on P3D, I will use it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am only interested in having a trouble free sim experience and enjoying myself.

Vic

Same here Vic, this is what im hoping 1.4 will bring me a step closer to, the abilty to run out of the box with out having to tweak or mend, just get me addons installed and fly like the way its meant to be :)

I don't care about version 2 as its not out, we have no information on it and it wont be released for what could be a few years ( i do care about the myth mill that seems to happen a little ).

-Paul-

Tons of arguments can be made on either side - frankly I don't care - I am only interested in having a trouble free sim experience and enjoying myself. I will use my purchased product where I see fit, period. *IF* a developer of a product that I purchased releases a P3D version, I will buy it rather than port it over myself but if there is no P3D version available and the FSX version runs on P3D, I will use it.

Hello Vic

We are on the same page, £200 for a stable bug fixed version that cures the few remaining issues that I still have with FSX is a fair price to pay, I would have no qualms about paying that to keep enjoying my hobby into the future.

I think it is pretty clear that Flight1 see FSX and P3D as two totally separate businesses.

Our desire to see a consumer version of P3D emerge' date=' is not in line with their business plan.[/quote']

NickN has a real hate on for p3d so I would take what he says with a MASSIVE grain of salt!

Flight1 and nick are clearly making a nice business selling $50 software for 100's of dollars to commercial users of ESP and P3d.

Its really NOT in their interests to see P3D in the hands of the common folk hence the stance they are taking and also scaremongering tactics towards anyone who asks.

Most other vendors (FSUIPC, Aerosoft, Orbx etc,) are quite happy to provide NON -commercial use licenses to use the software they already have for FSX.

Clearly Flight1 have put their eggs in the commercial market and this may be somewhat of a threat to that business plan.

Treating users with contempt and insults can only last so long however........

I must also add that I am a huge fan of Flight 1 products....but I think this policy stinks and will eventually come back to haunt them as in my mind, P3d may be the only Real future for simming.

Bottom line is this.....if P3d lives upto promises and expectations my addon spend will go to whichever vendors support this platform (and I don't mean by paying commercial license prices either!!!!)

I'm also a fan of F1's products, and their P3D version of the iDly 737 is perfectly reasonable, but it would be very nice to see a greater range of support for P3D in their product lineup.

As far as the misconception about a v2 of the Academic version I think it's obvious that there will be one if you just read the statement by the P3D team.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

There is a thread on the Orbx forum where a lot of people are saying they are uninstalling P3D because it is too buggy and crashes a lot. As others have posted, I'd also be happy to pay $200 to have a refined, smooth, high performance FSX if V2 is that. Right now I don't think it is. Though to be fair this is based on reading people using P3D, I haven't installed it myself.

I've been running Prepar3D non-stop for months now and I can say 100% without a shadow of doubt in saying this.. It's rock solid *if* you have FSUIPC installed (G3D).. Matter of fact as we speak, while posting I have Prepar3D and Air Hauler running w/ my Lancair Legacy on AP carrying Airplane parts to K020 while Active Sky 2012 controls the weather from another PC sitting on the other side of the room.. I have done absolutely no tweaking, no voodoo spells, no magic dust or anything else to make it stable.. The product just works.. I had issues with it when I first got it which I eventually narrowed down to self induced problems and nothing to do with Lockheed Martin or Prepar3D. With all the registry hacks, and fake FSX installers to get addon items running I can imagine those less familar w/ the inner workings of the sims could end up corrupting it and yes, making it buggy and crashing..

The last time I had Prepar3D crash was running Orbx's Lancair w/ a 6.5 LOD.. 4096 textures + 6.5 LOD = Asking for trouble and I sure as heck got it. :)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This is what NickN was referring to:

Quote John Nichols:

I have stated in the past and I will state again. The upgrade pricing has yet to be worked through the business and we are still a ways off from release of Version 2.0, so we will be making an announcement when we are able to about this price. It is for the Professional version only. There will be no upgrade price for the Academic version, major releases will need to be purchased, (i.e. you would need to buy version 2.0, 3.0 etc and I hope that this was how my last post was read BTW and perhaps that is why you are angry by misunderstanding my post) however those users will continue to get free access to updates as point releases when they are available. Again this is consistent with normal industry practice. Developers continue to get access to the most recent versions for the same subscription price.

http://www.prepar3d....viewtopic&t=924

You can read that to say that there will be NO Academic version 2. You could also read it as there will be an upgrade path for the Pro version but no discount for academic version. Either way, it will not be a free upgrade.

Considering - *IF* the P3D product was an exceptional improvement to FSX *AND* there were no other players in the market, would a $200 price tag be too high? I've spent a helluva lot more than $200 on add-ons, hardware etc through the years so it is something I would consider.

So far, many developers have gone along with the flow and have no problem with running their product on P3D. Others are developing a P3D version which will probably have a nominal fee. Then there are those who do NOT have a P3D version but are still adamant that one should NOT use their product on P3D.

Vic

I just want to say what I believe John Nichols is saying regarding price:

Usually when purchasing software, upgrade price refers to a heavily discounted price that is offered to owners of previous versions. As an example: Microsoft is offering a $39.99 upgrade price for Windows 8 to people who have older versions of Windows.

In the same note, I understand that LM will offer an upgrade price to their customers who bought the Professional Version of Prepar3D. So instead of paying $200 (or $500 or whatever the Professional License price will be) they will pay a lower amount.

He also says that there will be NO upgrade price for the Academic Version, so I read that you will have to pay the full value of a new Academic License for ver 2.0.

Developer's Licenses won't suffer any change and will have ver 2.0 available as soon as it gets out.

John Nichol's was replying to somebody who was expecting to have a free upgrade to ver 2.0. I believe this post clarifies things further (emphasis mine):

"Don't get confused by my wording.... the above means that major updates for the Academic version will need to be purchased, upgrade pricing is not available for the Academic version. If you purchased the Academic license, you will get free point updates, not free major versions."

He clarifies it further in another post (emphasis mine):

It is unfortunate that you feel this way however, actually we have been consistent with our messaging since we released Prepar3D that there will be an upgrade price for major versions for the Professional/Commercial-Use version. This is absolutely consistent with commercial simulation applications and actually many software applications including Microsoft Office, CAD applications and so on. Indeed to be fully consistent we should be charging support and maintenance fees on an annual basis for companies and individuals to actually be eligible for point releases as well. We decided not to do that as a business decision and as a business we are providing our software for academic use at a very reasonable price. I point out to those eligible for academic use that have previously purchased FSX or XP, that at no point have there been free upgrades between major versions, so cannot understand the anger directed against us.

People all over the world continue to experience and use Prepar3D and hope that you will do so as well.

I have stated in the past and I will state again. The upgrade pricing has yet to be worked through the business and we are still a ways off from release of Version 2.0, so we will be making an announcement when we are able to about this price. It is for the Professional version only.

There will be no upgrade price for the Academic version, major releases will need to be purchased, (i.e. you would need to buy version 2.0, 3.0 etc and I hope that this was how my last post was read BTW and perhaps that is why you are angry by misunderstanding my post) however those users will continue to get free access to updates as point releases when they are available. Again this is consistent with normal industry practice. Developers continue to get access to the most recent versions for the same subscription price.

Regards,

John

So at this time, there will be an Academic License for ver 2.0 but no price has been set. Also, those who purchased the Professional License will have a discount on the purchase price of ver 2.0. Again no price nor discounts have been set.

You have this exactly right.

There has never been any mention of not having academic version of v2.

Ignore the NickN scaremongering.......

Ignore the NickN scaremongering.......

Hello

I will, it just annoyed me to read his description of Flight1's FSX customers

It does no good in the long run to alienate your core customers, where have we seen that before ?.....

MS Flight! and Joshua Howard

I will, it just annoyed me to read his description of Flight1's FSX customers

The arrogance has no bounds. If I was Flight 1 I would reel in him a bit.....no, make that a lot.

At the end of the day, if this community shifts towards P3D as its primary simulator, as much as I enjoy F1 products, I can live without them if they choose to offer no support (or overpriced) for it.

There are plenty of other companies who are providing addons for both P3D and FSX.

As for GEX (NickN's own product) its great value for covering large areas quickly with tiles that are better than default, but after flying in Orbx land in PNW, NRM and PFJ + Tongass X, I have a hard time going back to the UTX+GEX combo. I only load it up now when I want to fly in a local area to practice something specific.

Did I mention Orbx offer P3D support at no extra charge? :Thinking:

There are plenty of other companies who are providing addons for both P3D and FSX.

I believe they all are offering Prepar3D ready products, Simarket, Justflight,Flightsim Shop, Avsim etc, with the exception of Flight1 and their vendors. RealityXP, Eaglesoft, etc. At this point, we P3D users are an extremely small minority so our disdane has very little effect. Perhaps that may change in the future? Oh well, its not rally that big of an issue. Not planning on bycotting F1 just because of that. FSX is and more than likely remain my primary sim. P3D is just kind of a novelty.