Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Reason # 3,000000,000 Why I don't go near Facebook

Hi Devon,

I agree with you. Just use some common sense and take care of your stuff is all. I remember years ago a friend of mine just moved to Brooklyn, New York and got robed. He had just moved in and bought a lot of new stuff. Put the boxes out on the curb and went out....

He came home and all his stuff was gone. The next day his neighbour approached him and told him you deserved to get that stuff stolen. You put out the boxes to advertise for all of the neighbourhood to see.

Matthew Kane

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using Facebook unless, like others said, you are a moron.

My profile is locked down, you can't see any of my pictures or any of my posts UNLESS you are my friend. These news reports are BS. Common sense is key.

people try to use it as platform to be a mini celebrity

LoL brainless minions

The only way to be isolated from the world is to not live on it

where do I sign up..

I'm quite the private person, even second think some of my posts here on Avsim if I feel they give away a bit too much information. I see the benefits and advantages of sites akin to Facebook, but would be very weary of them. I guess it does all boil down to how you use them...

My eldest son on the other hand, seems to post every second thought that enters his head on the site and doesn't seem to hold much back, like father like son has been thrown out the window in this respect...Always telling him do cut down on the kind of stuff he posts and on privacy settings, but he's 18, so what are you going to do.... :Talking Ear Off:

Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I realize this thread is sort of old so with luck no one real read this but I thought I'd mention a disturbing trend that has started to rear its ugly head. Some employers are starting to require job applicants to give their FB passwords when being interviewed. I can hear some of you private sorts saying "no way in h*ll would I give that up" but really? In this economy, after being unemployed for a while? Or freshly out of college with a stack of student loans? There have already been stories on the tv news about people being refused emploment over stuff on their FB page and so far there seems nothing to do about it. Apparently this is not considered an invasion of your privacy, at least not in a legal sense.

So what do I do if I don't have a FB account then? Wonder if they would refuse you a job because of that. Of course I'm sure some HR manager out there would. Weird world these days.

So what do I do if I don't have a FB account then? Wonder if they would refuse you a job because of that. Of course I'm sure some HR manager out there would. Weird world these days.

I would think you'd be OK job wise, because you don't have one. You wouldn't be logging on all the time at work, or using work time to update your Status.

Now, if you didn't have a FB account and the HR manager tells you that you have to have one, then what? I don't think that would happen, but as you said... weird world we inhabit!

Personally I don't have one, and I'm glad I don't, for all the reasons stated. :mellow:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

If an employer were to ask for my passwords I would refuse to offer it. I would also refuse to work for a company that requires this information.

I am self employed so easy for me to take this approach. Corporations do loose top talent in the workplace because of policies like this.

Matthew Kane

There is supposedly an effort in Congress to ban the practice, although one attempt in the form of an amendment to a bill, was already shot down in the House back in May. Illinois though have passed a state law prohibiting employers from asking for social network passwords, as well as other private information. Hopefully if Congress doesn't act on this the other states will follow Illinois lead!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Don't think you'd get away with that in the UK.

And it shouldn't. Canada has the charter of rights and freedoms that protect citizens from wrongful search and seizure so this wouldn't work in Canada either. Many other Common Wealth Nations have since adopted simlar practice.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

I realize this thread is sort of old so with luck no one real read this but I thought I'd mention a disturbing trend that has started to rear its ugly head. Some employers are starting to require job applicants to give their FB passwords when being interviewed. I can hear some of you private sorts saying "no way in h*ll would I give that up" but really? In this economy, after being unemployed for a while? Or freshly out of college with a stack of student loans? There have already been stories on the tv news about people being refused emploment over stuff on their FB page and so far there seems nothing to do about it. Apparently this is not considered an invasion of your privacy, at least not in a legal sense.

Whether it's invasion of privacy in a legal sense would depend on your privacy settings, and on whether you've added someone from work as your friend. Requiring facebook account details is something that needs to be stomped on quickly imo. I think Germany has already made it illegal to request facebook details during a job interview.

Whether it's invasion of privacy in a legal sense would depend on your privacy settings,

What your privacy settings are is irrelivant as in the job interview they are asking for your PASSWORD. This means they have a policy to see EVERYTHING.

It is only the USA where this has been an issue. Other modern nations this will never hold up due to protection against Search and Seizure laws, a company would be very foolish to attempt this practice under other charters.

USA has never adopted a similar modern charter and are on there own....

Matthew Kane

"It is only the USA where this has been an issue. Other modern nations this will never hold up . . ."

​I wouldn't be so sure about Britain. Aping US commercial practices is becoming increasingly common here. We really are getting to be the US mini-me :Monkey:

Oh Facebook Facebook... Damn everyone seems to use it in these days, IRL I don't know anyone else from my age who wouldn't be using it.

Myself privacy really wasn't a problem as I did really never bother to write anything on my wall there and didn't have profile picture any longer than few weeks. Most of stuff people post in Facebook is completely meaningless, and probably less than 20% of my friends there were ones I meet in real life too. That's why I removed my account and never felt like going back there. I seriously hope that Facebook boom will stop at some point.