Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

Hi Bill

"Not a rep" - you should be B) . That's a very comprehensive appraisal. You're a major fan - to say the least.

You have a very elaborate and high performance set-up, and this tool is clearly a massive asset for you. I wonder if those with lesser installations would see so many benefits.

For example, I've been down all the set-up tracks and have recently concluded that a 30" monitor 2560 x 1600 (16:10 single screen), with TIR is the best I've experienced to date. In my set-up I have 5 active screens - one being a touchscreen for the CDU. My previous set-up was 3 x 20" (36:9) - very immersive but I could never get used to the bezels and the left and right distortions.

But - my mind is open and I will probably try Opus FSX in my next rig.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

:smile: I am a fan! It has really made things so much easier for me. I went down the route trying to get WideView, Active Sky and EZDOK working in a network , and it was a nightmare. They are all very good programs in their own right, but there was just too many issues trying to get them synced and playing nicely together.

I like the fact that with OpusFSX, everything you need is in one product with a quick startup time.

I don't think you have to be a hardcore cockpit builder to benefit from this software.

Your 30" with TIR is a good alternative to a multi monitor view setup.

The camera shake and weather would probably compliment your setup. Keep in mind though, that all controls and gauges must be on the server. The networked PC's can only be used for views.

The bezels on a multimonitor system would bother me as well. With my setup though, it's like an aircraft window frame, so it feels natural.The distortion in Eyefinity and Surround is the main reason why I settle for lower framerates with an individual monitor setup.

Bill

Hi Bill

Your set-up answers the bezel problem very naturally. I would like that, but have resisted the cockpit build as it would restrict me to one aircraft -visually at least. I enjoy PMDG737 or 747 for airline flight and a Carenado Cessna for low and slow. My PFC based set-up doesn't (visually) tie me.

But, I can see that OpusFSX would help in a set-up like mine, especially when I add another high spec PC.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Somebody correct me if I'm now misunderstanding this, but why can't you run both client and server on the same machine?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The views set up in OpusFSX have the same framerate loss as you would get from setting up additional windows in FSX. It

Hi Bill.

That sentence threw me off.. What FPS drop do I incurr in the client PC/FSX and or Server PC (With three monitor front viev)? IF I have say two monitors/2 views) in my client PC/FSX and 3 monitor front view on my server PC/FSX, I am expecting FPS what I would get with two monitor setup and not what I can expect with 5 monitors on the client PC and the FPS I currently have with 3 monitors on my server PC and not FPS from a 5 monitor load on the server PC/FSX

Can you please clarify.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Somebody correct me if I'm now misunderstanding this, but why can't you run both client and server on the same machine?

Hi Paul,

If you only have one PC, there is no need to run the client.

Bill

Hi Bill.

That sentence threw me off.. What FPS drop do I incurr in the client PC/FSX and or Server PC (With three monitor front viev)? IF I have say two monitors/2 views) in my client PC/FSX and 3 monitor front view on my server PC/FSX, I am expecting FPS what I would get with two monitor setup and not what I can expect with 5 monitors on the client PC and the FPS I currently have with 3 monitors on my server PC and not FPS from a 5 monitor load on the server PC/FSX

Can you please clarify.

Manny

Hi Manny,

With OpusFSX you should get the same FPS you are getting now with your 3 monitors. I haven't noticed any change on my 3 server monitors FPS when I don't start up the client PC. As far as I can tell, running the client PC doesn't impact the FPS of the server monitors, and vice versa. The FPS you would get on a client PC with two monitors would depend upon the PC specs of the client.

OpusFSX doesn't increase or decrease FPS. You suffer the same framerate loss with each additional view you open with OpusFSX, as you would with each additional view you open in FSX without OpusFSX.

Bill

Hi Bill

Your set-up answers the bezel problem very naturally. I would like that, but have resisted the cockpit build as it would restrict me to one aircraft -visually at least. I enjoy PMDG737 or 747 for airline flight and a Carenado Cessna for low and slow. My PFC based set-up doesn't (visually) tie me.

But, I can see that OpusFSX would help in a set-up like mine, especially when I add another high spec PC.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

I started out with a generic cockpit, but whenever I would fly a different aircraft, I would always be thinking that I really would rather be flying my A2A B-17. Thats when I decided to specialize and make it B-17 specific. I haven't regretted it, and don't really miss flying other aircraft.

Bill

Hi Manny,

With OpusFSX you should get the same FPS you are getting now with your 3 monitors. I haven't noticed any change on my 3 server monitors FPS when I don't start up the client PC. As far as I can tell, running the client PC doesn't impact the FPS of the server monitors, and vice versa. The FPS you would get on a client PC with two monitors would depend upon the PC specs of the client.

OpusFSX doesn't increase or decrease FPS. You suffer the same framerate loss with each additional view you open with OpusFSX, as you would with each additional view you open in FSX without OpusFSX.

Bill

Ah ok.. then I should try it out. I see they have a demo version of their software.. I shall try it.

Thank you

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi

Just thought I would give you a heads up on our current activities. With the first phase of development for the Automatic Head Movements (AHM) for taxiing and banked turns just about completed I thought I should take time to explain our current development plans for improving the Dynamic Head Movements (DHM).

Recently we have successfully captured two more sets of landing data on a 737, several sets of data during taxiing, airborne and some nice turbulent data. We will soon be capturing some more data on board a light aircraft, processing this data, and preparing an upgrade to the DHM.

At present we are making improvements to the Live Weather Engine (better weather smoothing algorithms, cloud smoothing to prevent clouds disappearing too quickly into thin air, alto cumulus and stratus clouds etc.), this will eventually include a predictive algorithm for determining the probability (frequency) and severity of any turbulence effects in flight. Once that is done we will add support for the turbulence effects within the DHM software. Our plan is of course to make everything as realistic as possible.

In response to one comment above and a little reminder to others trying out the Live Weather Engine for the first time. Of course we do not include any sky or cloud textures within OpusFSX, so to get the best effects from the engine with all the benefits of using the generated Dynamic Weather we strongly reccommend you install the excellent high-definition sky and cloud textures provided in packages like REX, Active Sky, or Flight Environment X.

You can find further details of our activities on our own forum pages.

Regards

Stephen

After experimenting somewhat with this, I really didnt find anything of value for myself. I don't really want to install FSX or P3D on a client computer for the views features, its hard enough getting it licensed on one computer. I tried the weather engine for P3D and wasn't that impressed with rendering and , at this time, can't be run on the client computer. REX weather engine for P3D, as much as a pain as it is, was quite a better rendering clouds and effects running on a client computer.

P3D has a multimonitor function using simconnect running on seperate computers that will do the same thing and more included in its SDK.

Hi Rendy

I must say I am very surprised about your comments regarding the Live Weather Engine considering the highly detailed nature of the generated Dynamic Weather and all the many benefits that come with using them mentioned on our web site and in our Live Weather guide.

If you are a licensed user of OpusFSX then please refer to my previous post above regarding our recommended use of the high-definition sky and cloud textures.

However, if you were using the demo software I should point out that the Live Weather Engine is completely disabled in demo mode, so all you would have been seeing is nothing more than the default FSX/P3D weather, and not the results of the excellent OpusFSX Live Weather Engine.

Addressing your other points I think I should mention,

1. It is very simple to activate FSX over the phone.

2. OpusFSX has little if no adverse effect on the frame rates on any system so there is no problem activating the Live Weather Engine on the server.

3. We will soon have a client side Live Weather Engine option.

4. There are other methods of networking computers on FSX and P3D systems but none of them offer all the benefits, ease of use, and smoothness of operation of OpusFSX Live View.

Regards

Stephen

As requested, ugrades including Live Traffic for AI traffic synchronisation across networked systems, Live Camera Control with smooth panning for video making and creating dynamic camera actions, and Dynamic Head Movements (DHM) for virtual cockpit views, or DAM for 2D cockpit views, will be available soon. The DHM effects are being upgraded to include airborne and intelligent turbulence effects. The airborne effects also include special effects for powered climbs, all DHM effects are based on actual real-life captured 3D accelerometer data. The current version also includes the new Automated Head Movements to assist the pilot in taxiing and banked turns. Full details are available on our website and Flight1 forum pages.

Regards

Stephen

This product needs a video demo showing what it can do for the average FSX user. I'm reading the site but don't see or fully understand if it benefit me.

Won't have a chance to try the demo for a while, so quick question.

Are the taxi/landing camera shake effects roughly on par with those of EZCA.

If so, I'm sold.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Certainly, in fact in our opinion they far exceed the effects in EZCA. For a start all the camera shake effects are derived from and using actual real-life captured 3D accelerometer data, captured on board light aircraft and Boeing 737s. The same is true of our soon to be released airborne effects, we have managed to extract and prepare data relating to powered climbs (climb out after takeoff), in flight low frequency turbulent motions, and high frequency turbulent motions (bumps). These will be incorporated very shortly to accompany the ground and landing effects data. Furthermore, with our camera control interface you do not need to reassign any FSX keys, the user interface is extremely friendly. We are also going to release our Live Camera Control interface soon which includes panning actions for people who want to be a little creative, not just in making their own FSX/P3D videos but for creating nice dynamic camera panning shots to enjoy during the flight. Please have a look at our Flight1 forum pages for further details. You should also check out our Automated Head Movements (AHM) that assist the pilot during taxiing and in banked turns.

Regarding the making of videos, we currently have some users getting to grips with this. We also have prepared the tools to make some of our own, but to be honest our time at present is completely taken up with software development and testing so it may be a while before we are able to get round to it. I will though try and put aside a few moments to create some short video clips showing the excellent AHM effects, I hardly use the hat switch any more when taxiing and banking.

Regards

Stephen

That is what I understood as well so my question is : can you use P3D on one and FSX on the other ?

Yes you can, you simply select the simulator type you want to use in the server and each client program's Configuration dialog along with identifying the installation folder for either Microsoft FSX or LM's Prepar3d, or if you want, locate both and use the same machine to run FSX one day and P3D the next, that's what we do.

Regards

Stephen

Certainly, in fact in our opinion they far exceed the effects in EZCA. For a start all the camera shake effects are derived from and using actual real-life captured 3D accelerometer data, captured on board light aircraft and Boeing 737s. The same is true of our soon to be released airborne effects, we have managed to extract and prepare data relating to powered climbs (climb out after takeoff), in flight low frequency turbulent motions, and high frequency turbulent motions (bumps). These will be incorporated very shortly to accompany the ground and landing effects data. Furthermore, with our camera control interface you do not need to reassign any FSX keys, the user interface is extremely friendly. We are also going to release our Live Camera Control interface soon which includes panning actions for people who want to be a little creative, not just in making their own FSX/P3D videos but for creating nice dynamic camera panning shots to enjoy during the flight. Please have a look at our Flight1 forum pages for further details. You should also check out our Automated Head Movements (AHM) that assist the pilot during taxiing and in banked turns.

This can get pretty subjective...

I'll ask an objective question: Does your camera effect work with TrackIR?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules