Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the recent changes and hopefully excited at the prospect of our ongoing development plans and constant stream of enhancements, improvements, and upgrades. We encourage our users to play a very active role in all our development cycles (which are continuous and will be ongoing for at least the next four years!), hence the numerous beta releases.

I will be very pleased to assist and inform you of all the new and exciting FSX/P3D products, and I don't just mean ours. For example, we recommend the use of our Live Weather Engine with the excellent high-def sky and cloud texutures of REX, ActiveSky, or FEX.

Welcome back.

Regards

Stephen

Awesome. Thanks Stephen

I get my pc next weekend and shall be spending a lot of time catching up on everything I have missed out on. :-) I am particularly interested in your turbulence effects and EZDOK (for the lack of a better term) type functionality with an easy to use interface.

Whoops, I should have also mentioned as an example, we are considering doubling the size of our weather horizon for the Dynamic Weather region from 480km x 480km to 960km x 960km, at the same time we may also double the resolution from 32km weather cells to 16km weather cells. These upgrades will help in areas with few METAR stations (METAR voids) and also help to stabalise the weather between updates.

You can check out our Flight1 forum pages for details of some of our current ideas and plans.

Got to get back to flying now, just left behind me the stormy and thundery weather in Holland, crossed the North Sea and am making my final approach into Gatwick (EGKK) in relatively calm conditions (UK2000 Extreme Airports are another great addon).

Regards

Stephen

Awesome. Thanks Stephen

I get my pc next weekend and shall be spending a lot of time catching up on everything I have missed out on. :-) I am particularly interested in your turbulence effects and EZDOK (for the lack of a better term) type functionality with an easy to use interface.

I just love the turbulence effects as well. Our use of real-life captured 3D accelerometer data is also ongoing and we will be adding all sorts of 'real' effects in the future as we capture and process more and more accelerometer data. Just landed, the light turbulence as we passed through some low stratus cloud eased off just before touchdown - testing the latest beta 2.10.5 tweaks which will be posted very soon, just one of the perks of being a developer.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I'm still reading! This question is about CPFlight hardware. I have the EL versions. I see the Config mentions only the PRO version.

Does this mean that mine will not work with OpusFSX?

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Frank

I believe it should work fine since they both use the same protocol. If it doesn't then we will immediately change the software so that it supports both versions.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Your support and enthusiasm continues to impress. I think my best next move is to invest and - as the saying goes - suck it and see :rolleyes:

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Stephen

Because I have liked what I read about OpusFSX I felt that the only way was to buy it, and really try it.

I can confirm that my EL version of the CPFlight hardware works. I have no further need to turn it on the old way. I did have some doubts, as your specs referred only to the PRO version.

Also, after just one flight I am impressed by the weather engine. But before I can recommend it to other readers I will have to run it some more.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Frank

Thank you for confirming that the EL works, I think we will change the docs and dialogs to reflect this.

Providing you are not using TrackIR, perhaps you would like to create a virtual cockpit camera view for your aircraft and enable the Dynamic and Automated Head Movement effects. I think you will enjoy all the DHM 'camera shake' effects including the new airborne, vibration, and intelligent turbulence effects. If you are using TrackIR then we will have the full compatibility version available soon.

Enjoy your flying.

Regards

Stephen

If I use EZCA and don't want Opus to interfere, can those features be easily disabled until full TrackIR support is in?

They certainly can.

But I would recommend giving them a go using the Automated Head Movements to assist you in taxing and banking until the TrackIR compatibility is available. Since AHM I no longer use my TrackIR for the 737NGX, and since the airborne DHM I don't use it at all. I might do though for the SF260 once the compatibility mode is done, but I will still use AHM for the 737NGX.

Personally, I think once you get used to the ultra-realistic DHM effects based on real-life accelerometer data you will no longer be satisfied with the wobbly motions or random effects in EZCA. My opinion of course, but I could never go back they just don't look real.

Regards

Stephen

Hi,

I thought you might be interested in some more visual information on the "Live Weather Engine" of the Opus Software addon for FSX and P3D, called OpusFSX Flight Simulator Interface.

I uploaded a 9 minuts video in YOU TUBE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PheIeOiC30&feature=plcp which should give you basicly an idea of the fantastic combination of the Live Weather Engine of Opus Software and the HD cloud Texture quality produced by REX Essential.

Please take into consideration that I'm NOT a professional video producer and I do not pretend to be an allround Sim Pilot.

You will notice that I'm just a happy Simmer with a very modest computer configuration (i5-760 2.8 GHz, slightly overclocked to 3.3 GHz and a NVIDEA 450GTS graphic card.

Salu2

Fernmil / GCLP

Joop

Seems we have to tell the Client where FSX is located. Do I understand right that FSX has to be installed on both the Server and Client? Microsoft will allow us to install our game on more than one PC at a time??!!

Hi VeryBumpy

Yes I believe you can install FSX on more that one PC at a time just phone through to activate. The client systems operate FSX in a 'frozen' state, something that Microsoft has provided which would be of no use on your main 'flying' server PC.

You only have to install the client software if you wish to use the Live View feature and off load perhaps a 2D scenic view or an external aircraft view, and you must tell both the server and client(s) where to locate the FSX (or P3D) installation folder so that it can load the Dynamic Weather file, modify the aircraft.cfg files to create certain views etc.

Regards

Stephen

FINALLY...got demo to work. Has been one of the most PITA things ever, been working on it all weekend. Mainly cause my home network could see each computer but refused to ping between each other properly. Hence the Opus Server/Client connect would never occur. The 10min 2min demo crap certainly slowed down my trouble shooting problem a lot too.

Nice to have my laptop used as a 2nd screen finally. Need to check out the Live Camera feature next. First sleep.

I'm interested in the shaking effects and in the weather engine.But:

a) I watched the vid posted above and I do not understand what would make this software better than the other 2 weather engines (as2012 and rex).

b)I installed the trial and the shaking effect does not seem better than ezdok ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

a.

For the sake of repeating myself, read all the previous posts on this and other forum pages and please refer to our website for the details. There is NO comparison. If you want to use global weather or accept the sky clearing and flickering at you for extended periods whilst in flight then fine. But I like my weather real, instant, and varied. Our software is far from perfect, if it was I would not have any need to enhance, extend and upgrade it. But it is attempting to give you a little taste of reality. B)

b.

Personally (in my own opinion and many other ex EZCA users for that matter) I totally disagree about the EZCA comparison. Our effect is reality the other is just wobbling the screen - sure certain effects that do appear random will generally look the same, but others like taxiing, landing, climbing out, low-frequency turbulence etc are very different. For a start we do not just wobble the screen continuously and sinusoidally in flight. Jet fighters behave this way in level flight but airliners or light aircraft certainly do not, if they did every passenger would need several sick bags. Our turbulence occurs when you are flying in a turbulent part of the sky (in clouds for example) and the effects reflect this and all the effects are real and not synthetic. The effect may be subtle but they are plain to see for most people, especially those that fly in the RW.

Perhaps this is just subjective but I could never go back to using EZCA effects, they look just plain silly and most definitely synthetic. That is only my opinion, I used to use EZCA myself but disabled most shake effects in the end because they looked phoney and annoying, I did not like re-assigning all the standard FSX keys, and did not care for the user interface. My opinion of course, EZCA is a great program but the flaws were just too much for me to bare and the effect just too synthetic. This was one of the reasons why we were spurred into developing OpusFSX. Of course, the current WideView and weather engines also played a part. Perhaps I am a perfectionist and believe that we should strain every last drop of realism out of our FSX experience, if I am then a fast growing number of others share my beliefs.

Regards

Stephen

FINALLY...got demo to work. Has been one of the most PITA things ever, been working on it all weekend. Mainly cause my home network could see each computer but refused to ping between each other properly. Hence the Opus Server/Client connect would never occur. The 10min 2min demo crap certainly slowed down my trouble shooting problem a lot too.

Nice to have my laptop used as a 2nd screen finally. Need to check out the Live Camera feature next. First sleep.

Hi VeryBumpy

I'm glad you sorted your network out.

I think we mention in the documentation that you can establish and test your network links without running FSX, in which case you can take as long as you wish. The 10 minutes only starts when it connects to FSX.

Regards

Stephen