Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Where to buy Navdata for RXP units?

I know it's possible, can someone let me know where to buy the new 1208 cycle for the RXP units?

I've found thishttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=32036

But I wonder is it for the physical GPS500/600 in the real aircraft's panel?

Anyone know?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Since when can you update the Rxp airacs to such a new airac Ryan? Did I miss something?

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm missing something but I've always been mystified by the folks that want, current, real nav data. From what I think I know, the FSX "world" is several years old w.r.t. airport/navaid/etc. locations -- wouldn't you want navdata that is matched to FSX's airport/navaid data?

Yes, it won't be "real" as compared to Today but it will work fine with the static world that FSX captured however many years ago it was released. I used to run the Jepp moving map app on a 2nd PC and always used the navdata version that was closest to what FSX contains...

Please 'splain it to me Lucy; I must be (as I said) missing something.

cheers,

Dave B.

I know it's possible, can someone let me know where to buy the new 1208 cycle for the RXP units?

I've found thishttps://buy.garmin.c...op.do?pID=32036

But I wonder is it for the physical GPS500/600 in the real aircraft's panel?

Anyone know?

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Maybe I'm missing something but I've always been mystified by the folks that want, current, real nav data. From what I think I know, the FSX "world" is several years old

Yeah, there's a bit of a misconception going on, perhaps in both possible ways. I've read that more than once. :mellow:

First of all, you are correct when it comes to a default FSX and only referring to what one can read from bgl files. That stuff may even be a lot older than the FSX release date. Those bgl files contain the scenery itself and, sometimes, some 'default' approaches from back then. Default GPS gauges can read those, only those.

On the other hand, FSX established the same thing as most other simulators before, being able to navigate and relate to coordinates. Those are universal, they have no date and the only thing you may have to watch is the rest being dependant on e.g. magnetic variation and things. But you can easily bring that up to lets say some 2010 basis. It's just one reference file, being a few kb in size.

What addons like our FMC planes or the ones like the RXP GPS do is to use their own data base, knowing about this or that navaid, airway or fix at certain coordinates. So whatever FSX does and knows about those special placed isn't important, it even gets disregarded as the addons read and relate to their data base, not some bgl files.

When it comes to the actual stuff FSX displays. Well, some airports may have been closed, others opened or extended, but they usually don't drift away in steps of kilometres. So even those pre-2006 bgl defined stock airports will most likely still fit more or less on the actual position, right? When installing addon scenery, the error even gets smaller and the actual layout of the airport receives a very current status.

Now still having in mind the nature of the coordinate based nav data, one can fly to KSFO using old data or one can do this with using a current set. The destination (KSFO) is the same, but the routing of the approaches, over noise sensitive areas and other things, may have changed. And that routing, if displayed on a RXP GPS or some FMC plane, is no problem in FSX and can easily be rendered accurate and current.

Funny enough, even the navaids like enroute VORs and NDBs still work/match most of the time while the local airport stuff can easily be edited and brought up to current standards with installing some freeware or payware airport rendition.

So the first look may declare FSX being too old to make use of current procedures, while the closer one may actually show that current stuff can run in FSX, FS9 and X-Plane for example. As long as the 2006 Rocky Mountains are somehow close to the 2012 ones. ^_^

Mentioning this, some scenery errors of course affect the sim flying. But that's not a problem of 2006 vs. 2012 but of some dev work.

On Ryan's request. I recall some rw pilots stating that they are using their rw Garmin stuff for their RXP gauges too. Perhaps one of those folks can join in and explain how that works. :smile:

It's not the 1208 database from Navigraph, but it's possible to "import" the Jun 11 database from the new 650/750 trainers. Follow the link and check the second post.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-database-update-via-new-garmin-trainers_topic39731.html

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

They probably run their Garmin updates and copy the files out. Not cheap I guess, but yeah I would like to know too even though I'm happy with what I have.. For now that is

n Ryan's request. I recall some rw pilots stating that they are using their rw Garmin stuff for their RXP gauges too. Perhaps one of those folks can join in and explain how that works

I would assume as long as you have the Jeppsen card with the Gamin navdata on it. You can import it into the Garmin trainer navdata on your computer which is where the RXP GNS is pulling its navdata from. I assume the card is just a SD card like in our agriculture precision equipment.

I fly online, so I need current charts because that's what the controllers use. If the pilot doesn't have the newer charts ATCers usually accommodate them. In addition to that, for my personal use, I prefer current charts because it allows me to practice real world ops and helps me stay current with the chart info for my work.

It's not the 1208 database from Navigraph, but it's possible to "import" the Jun 11 database from the new 650/750 trainers. Follow the link and check the second post.

http://www.simforums...topic39731.html

Thanks but old news to me.

Also I've contacted Garmin to see what they say.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I update scenery and addon airports so I update navdata also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using current data can have some drawbacks - eg when ground based navaids have changed since FSX - but as others have pointed out, that's generally fixable, and many scenery packages have updated to more current info. Perhaps the biggest reason for updating, even for those not flying online, is the large number of precision GPS/WAAS approaches that have been added in recent years. Without reasonably current data, you won't have these.

Like most who have the RXP stuff, I'd also be interested in a reasonable source of new (newer than the 2011 data most of us have) data. The 2011 update is good, and generally suffices for me, but I'm certainly interested in newer.

Scott

The biggest reason for me is planners and charts.

If I build the plan with current data (and I can't get any back-dated data very easily), then I want to be able to enter it into the 530.

If I print today's charts for a flight, I want to find those arrivals and approaches in my 530.

So ended up deciding to collect full charts for ALL my scenery at start of this month, and never updating Airac on FSBuild or the aircraft I have from now.

Unless I'm tempted by Aerosofts data - it looks to be including ALOT of stuff that navigraph missed.

A correction to what I said (I haven't touched FSX in a while) I used to use the Jepp data that was closest to the RXP 430/530 database contained at the time.

I used to run the Jepp moving map app on a 2nd PC and always used the navdata version that was closest to what FSX contains...

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack