Sign in to follow this  
mcoomer

New computer, new install, new problem...oh joy

Built a new coputer with an i7 processor and a couple of SSDs and tried to reinstall FSX. Loaded both discs, install looked good, entered my product key, and got an activation succesful message. All good right? When I started the game I got a popup stating something to the effect that the license was invalid, did I want to generate a new key. I assumed this meant I would be prompted to enter my key (one day I'll learn to never assume anything). When I clicked OK a popup appeared immediatedly saying "License Required!". Click OK and it pops up right away. Clicked OK again, and again, and again and after the fifth or sixth time it went away and the game loaded to the start page. For grins I flew the ultralight for a minute then closed the game. Restarted the game and had the same "License Required!" popups.

Decided to uninstall the game, reboot, and reinstall. Entered my product key, got an activation successful message, but still had "License Required!" popups when I tried to start the game. Also, it may be because of the license message but when I tried to download SP1 I got a page not found error. Is it me or did MS take the update down? If so, is it available somewhere.

Any help with either of these problems is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I think you reached the maximum allowed number of activations. You'll have to contact MS to get your key reactivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

something else is going on. if you reach maximum activations, it would tell you. Some software is being loaded that requires a license. I doubt the message is from FSX. See if you can determine what else is running.

FSX doesn't have a "license required" message, it will ask for activation and, if it fails, it will run in demo mode.

As I said, something else is generating the message. Any add-ons? Any system software?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

How many activations is FSX allowed?

I have reinstalled FSX at least 20 times since I first bought it.

Jack Cannon

but still had "License Required!" popups

Did you pass your pilot license exam?

Seriously... Are you trying to download SP1 with a web browser other than IE. Try the below link in IE and you can download. But do it in Chrome and you'll get a 404 error when trying to download. Really!

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

Did you pass your pilot license exam?

Seriously... Are you trying to download SP1 with a web browser other than IE. Try the below link in IE and you can download. But do it in Chrome and you'll get a 404 error when trying to download. Really!

http://www.microsoft...rvicePack1.aspx

I believe I've tried with IE and Firefox, but I'll double check when I get home. I don't have Chrome.

I think you reached the maximum allowed number of activations. You'll have to contact MS to get your key reactivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all else fails I'll contact MS but I'm not hopeful. Sounds like support for FSX is minimal at this point.

something else is going on. if you reach maximum activations, it would tell you. Some software is being loaded that requires a license. I doubt the message is from FSX. See if you can determine what else is running.

FSX doesn't have a "license required" message, it will ask for activation and, if it fails, it will run in demo mode.

As I said, something else is generating the message. Any add-ons? Any system software?

Vic

Fresh install to a new SSD drive. Only software installed period is Win 7 Pro 64, Office 2010, FSX. Lightroom 4 is installed to a second SSD. Two HDDs, one newly formatted, are for storage only. I'll check task manager to see what else is running next time I get the popup.

Mike

Use MSCONFIG to disable startup items and see if that gves you any info also.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Mike

I agree with Vic try running / installing FSX after a "clean" boot (google for steps for your OS) and then you will know if it is a non-windows app that is causing the issue. Did you install by running as administrator likewise when you start FSX always run as administrator (Find fsx.exe right click properties then compatibility and check always run as administrator.

If this is Win & you may want to change the UAC settings as that could an issue.

Regards

pH

Well, I took the "clean boot" concept one step further. Aside from motherboard drivers and utilities Id I'd only installed Windows, Office, and FSX so I decided to wipe the slate clean and start over. Windows DVD in the drive, delete the partition, and reinstall. Did my program installs, entered the product key for FSX and no "License Required!" popups. One thing I did notice is that at the top of the popup it said FSX in the title bar so it was definitely not another program. Anyway, all's well that ends well I suppose. Got SP1, SP2, and PMDG 737NGX loaded. Looking forward to going home tonight and seeing what an i7-3770K can do when you kick it in the butt. Going to move all the sliders to the right, check all the boxes, and taxi to the active!

Also, at some point in the past I'd downloaded and saved SP1 and 2 to my external drive. Disaster narrowly averted.

Mike

Glad it's sorted, Mike. Nothing wrong with the occasional fresh and clean install of Windows. Did you try downloading SP1 for FSX using IE and Firefox?

Glad you got it sorted Mike! Now go enjoy your new system.

Vic

Did you try downloading SP1 for FSX using IE and Firefox?

No, I found a copy of SP1 that I'd downloaded at some point in the past. Since MS is out fo the flight sim business now I guess I'd better hold onto those files.

SP1 and 2 are also in the Avsim library for future reference, MS has removed them from their downloads

Jay