Sign in to follow this  
meshman

P3D launcher?

Hi,

Sorry about that, don't know what's going on. Will investigate and ask library manager to hold off on uploading this new version.

I will keep you posted.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

url.exe is a known threat, and so Maarten you need to change the name of YOUR url.exe to something else, so that AV progs don't miss-identify it as a threat, presuming you know for sure that your url.exe is clean. It's the process that downloads the METAR data isn't it.

I get no warning from MS Security Essentials on it.

Juts a word of thanks for this program; as a P3D user it's a very nice tool indeed. Congratulations on your good work.

Phil

I use MSEs as well and no issues found here, although I concur with gliderdriver's very sensible suggestion that Maarten renames the .exe. Totally respect the concerns you have Word Not Allowed, but I used to buy a Kaspersky subscription and it does tend to find fault with the oddest things. I get the feeling that some AV software manufacturers like you to think there are potential problems that their product is identifying from time to time, to justify the price. MSEs, on the other hand, is totally free and made by the OS developer, which has to be a massive advantage. I have found it to be absolutely bullet proof, have never seen it make a false positive, and wholeheartedly recommend it. Crucially, it also seems to impose no perceptible load on FSX, although in fairness I haven't used anything else for years, so the other paid for/free products may be lighter on their feet these days.

Will be interested to learn the outcome of Maarten's investigations, but frankly I am unconcerned at this time. Did complete system scans this morning and came up 100% fine

Maarten, just want to reach out again and congratulate you on this super little app. Wonderful that you're continuing to develop it. I seriously think this has commercial potential and wish you well if that is your eventual goal.

url.exe is a known threat, and so Maarten you need to change the name of YOUR url.exe to something else, so that AV progs don't miss-identify it as a threat, presuming you know for sure that your url.exe is clean. It's the process that downloads the METAR data isn't it.

I get no warning from MS Security Essentials on it.

Juts a word of thanks for this program; as a P3D user it's a very nice tool indeed. Congratulations on your good work.

Phil

Phil, just a word of warning; do yourself a favour and ditch Security Essentials for something better like Avast.

I used to use it and got a Trojan as a result of it not detecting the threat.

Had to reformat and reinstall everything!

Dave.

Hi All,

I spent the best part of today trying out all kinds of antivirus programs and Kasperky is the only one giving a positive on the Url.exe file:

The descriptions says "...perform hidden actions without the user's knowledge ...", Url.exe is used to asynchronously download metar data from weather.noaa.gov and aviationweather.gov; to contact ourairport.com and to retrieve update information from my site: www.maartenboelens.nl Kaspersky thinks it is a trojan because I'm downloading things from the internet without you knowing about it, and that's exactly what the Url.exe program does.. It is completely harmless however!

Here’s the source code of Url.exe:

UrlDownloadToFile, %1%, %A_Temp%\tempurl.txt

exitapp

It's an Autohotkey script (http://www.autohotkey.com/). Any one of you that has Autohotkey installed and Kasperky's antivirus can compile above and you will get the same false alarm. You can monitor your temp folder and you will find that a tempurl.txt file is created with info from the sites mentioned above. The SimLauncher.log file now contains all of the url requests for you to check.

The Url.exe helper program is needed in order to set a timeout on url requests. Without it, you would sometimes have to wait a long time if one of the above sites is slow or unreachable.

My computer is not infected, I'm not spreading any viruses and this is definitely a false positive, so all of you that use Kasperky's antivirus:

please exclude the whole installation folder from Kasperky's virus scanning.

I tried changing the file name from url.exe to something else, but that does not help: Kasperky stil gives a false alarm. So I choose to keep the file name as is.

Version 1.8 is the latest version now, and includes logging of the url requests:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r83s0c0ly6bqfxf/SimLauncher18.zip

I hope you will enjoy this new version and thanks to all that did show a positive attitude in this thread. As always, contact me if you find any more bugs or have a feature request.

Maarten

@Word Not Allowed: I appreciate your concerns, but next time choose your words a little bit more careful

I also have tried several anti-virus programs and none of them give me a positive. I don't have Kapersky. I have used the launcher several times with no problems and my thanks to Maarten for his work and generosity.

The link https://m/s/r83s0cww...mLauncher18.zip appears to be broken. Everytime I try to go to it I get a server not found error.

Link to version 1.8 is now correct.

Maarten

@Word Not Allowed: I appreciate your concerns, but next time choose your words a little bit more careful

I apologize if my choice of words offended you, I was never aware it was maybe poor.

Thank you for examining the files and now that it has been confirmed that it is free, I hope everyone can rest easy.

Better to be safe than sorry, I say.

It happens... I am getting a Trojan.scar with the FSXOpus trial version using Malwarebytes. Happens everytime I open it. Sure it's a false positive. I did make note to Opus - maybe they can contact Malwarebytes to report.

FYI - SimLauncher 1.7 - empty fuel tanks and no weather for P3D. Will try 1.8

Update - Just installed v1.8. Fuel tanks are back to normal. I still get no weather loaded from SimLauncher. Select rainy for example and I get clear blue skies? I thought this time I would put in my paths for FSX to check that out. Got an error message saying I did not have the files 'runways.xml' and 'g5.cvs' in my FSX folder?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Got an error message saying I did not have the files 'runways.xml' and 'g5.cvs' in my FSX folder?

Go to FSUIPC download page, download makernwys.exe, put into FSX folder and execute.

Weather loading does work, but there's a strange issue with the .wx file of the original default flights of the simulators (...\flights\other\FLTSIM.FLT for FSX and ...\flights\other\PREPAR3D.FLT for Prepar3D): if you send the weather from SimLauncher to the sim, it doesn't seem to hold, but if you then look in World|Weather you will see the weather setting you choose in SimLauncher. Now here's the workaround:

1. launch the sim with the default flight (not with SimLauncher, but directly)
  2. save the flight from within the sim to something like 'my default flight'
  3. change the weather theme and click ok
  4. change the weather theme again to the original setting
  5. save the flight again with the name you choose in step 2, i.e. 'my default flight', check 'set default flight' and allow to override
  6. exit the sim (this is important because fsx\prepar3d.cfg will only be updated with the new default flight once you exit the sim)
  7. start SimLauncher and changing the weather will work now (at least on my machine)

Maarten

When I run 1.8 it says there is a new version to download but if i click yes - I get a 404 error.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sorry about the version numbers, forgot that 'check for update' doesn't work with versions containing two decimals. Version 2.0 is out now. You should be able to download this version If you perform a 'check for update' again.

I'm using version 2.0. I find that when scrolling down the aircraft selection screen, SimLauncher freezes and I have to close it down. If I select an aircraft before I scroll far and then move to another screen then SimLauncher allows me to create a scenario and open P3D. So it performs perfectly if I don't have to scroll far to find my aircraft. It only happens on the aircraft screen.

If nobody else is finding this then I suppose one of my aircraft is causing it somehow.

Win 7/64, P3D

Ian