Sign in to follow this  
Taver

Windows 8 one issue

For me Win8 is marginally better than win7 *at best*. Ive seen people advising others to upgrade because:

- You wont get a performance decrease

- You can get your start button back with hax

- Microsoft will eventually get the bugs out

- Some gain up to a whopping 3% performance increase in fsx (on a fresh install? I get that on a fresh win7 too)

It seems pretty clear to me that this windows release is the "other windows", and the good one will be win9. There is no evidense I've seen so far that warrents all the hassle of upgrading from win7. You take more risk for hardly any gain.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Windows 8 is terrible. I had to reinstall and go back to Windows 7.

The new interface is a confusing mess.

There is no performance increase on Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

FXAA and SweetFX fail to work in Windows 8.

Intel SRT fails to work in Windows 8.

And the last straw,

My HP Printer fails to work in Windows 8!

90% of what you are complaining about is not Windows 8's fault. Software companies need to update their software and hardware companies need to update drivers in order for things to work properly. And you just have to get used to the Metro Screen. It really is not that different than the old start menu. It does the same stuff, just in a different way. Calling the OS terrible because of these things is a bit silly. So far, Windows 8 has been very fast and responsive for me...more so than 7. And with my new SSD, my boot time is about 30 seconds. I can't complain about that.

Also, with past installs of new Windows OSs, I've always run the Upgrade Assistant that Microsoft offers. It analyzes your PC's software and hardware to determine if it they are compatible with the next version of Windows. (so that you don't have to actually go through the hassle of installing the OS only to find out that things don't work) Might be useful next time you consider upgrading. ;)

Brandon Filer

I disagree.

What has fundamentally changed so much that my hp printer drivers from windows 7 fail to work? According to Hp, their development for my laser jet drivers for win8 will only start next year.

Did you know UAC is so restrictive now because of metro you need to 1. Not only install Rex in a directory outside program files, but also 2. Disable UAC via the registry (control panel still limits permissions)?

Intel SRT fails to work so windows 8 is actually SLOWER then windows 7. You no longer have a safe boot option unless you do some startup boot hack wizardry.

Fxaa and sweetfx fail to work in windows 8 so no special effects.

Metro works against my operating flow. It's all nice and pretty but this isn't a touch screen computer! I had to get another app to get my start button working again. Metro is IMHO is akin to yahoo widgets. Looks nice at first but a real hassle and pointless after awhile.

No performance benefit at all, and too much trouble IMHO.

I disagree.

What has fundamentally changed so much that my hp printer drivers from windows 7 fail to work? According to Hp, their development for my laser jet drivers for win8 will only start next year.

Did you know UAC is so restrictive now because of metro you need to 1. Not only install Rex in a directory outside program files, but also 2. Disable UAC via the registry (control panel still limits permissions)?

Intel SRT fails to work so windows 8 is actually SLOWER then windows 7. You no longer have a safe boot option unless you do some startup boot hack wizardry.

Metro completely works against the flow of my work. It's all nice and pretty but this isn't a touch screen computer! I had to get another app to get my start button working again. Metro is IMHO is akin to yahoo widgets. Looks nice at first but a real hassle and pointless after awhile.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I thought I would share my recent experiences with re-building a rig and installing W8; see the specs under "My PC"

When most computer components gets a significant upgrade and a new OS is out, I take the plunge and get a new rig. Yes, it is time consuming and can be a pain. One word of advice for W8's new refresh feature. NEVER refresh your PC... it keeps your files, the programs are still there... but they are not working! I did a RESET afterwards; a clean install is the best.

Three issues: 1- Canon nor Windows 8 offer drivers for the Canon PIXMA 600 printer. Got a 20% discount from Canon to buy a new one. Doesn't matter, it will go on my second PC running W7. 2- Input Director v1.3 build 101 is OK, but clipboard not working. 3 - I have yet to re-install Plan-G and Aivlasoft's EFB (both outstanding programs). The reason I refreshed the first W8 installation was because the Microsoft metro tiles were constantly returning to the Start screen. Reading online, I learned that it might have to do with sharing folders across computers... I will investigate and report back.

W8 is nothing more than W7 with the "app look" that can be changed anyway. Upgrading the processor, getting SSD cards and getting a more powerful video card for the VC on 3 displays has certainly embellished my FSX experience. It is difficult to separate the impact between new hardware and new OS. But in conclusion, I would have to say that re-vamping my sim has been positive. Loading the sim with all it's add-ons is very fast, the scenery and VC experience is smooth and the graphics are without any jittering. We are getting closer and closer to reality.

After all the hardware/software issues are dealt with, the only thing that matters to me is reproducing real flight and enjoying...

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Win7 OS Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

W8 is nothing more than W7 with the "app look" that can be changed anyway.

I disagree, Windows 8 has a deeper UAC than Windows 7.

This caused more problems than it solves. The fact that the Metro apps depend on UAC is totally wrong.

Surely it should be the other way around, if UAC is disabled, the apps should work.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

It's an oldish post but I can't let this go.

I disagree.

Windows downloaded and installed a driver for my HP Photosmart C4600 Series printer/scanner/fax and it works.

It was never a good idea to install anything third party into program files under Vista or Windows 7, nothing new there.

REX works perfectly for me with UAC turned off at the slider, no more needed.

Intel SRT installed and worked straight away and is marginally faster than Windows 7. No, that's true.

SweetFX works perfectly well, just as it does under Windows 7, no knowledge of FXAA

Metro completely works against the flow of my work. It's all nice and pretty but this isn't a touch screen computer! I had to get another app to get my start button working again. Metro is IMHO is akin to yahoo widgets. Looks nice at first but a real hassle and pointless after awhile.

This is purely a matter of personal preference, in my opinion. There are no more mouse clicks required, but no less either.

IMHO, the OS loads much faster, opens programmes much faster, uses less drive space, closes much faster and with the exception of the persisting joystick failure in FSX, every one of my third party installations work as well as or marginally better than it did under Windows 7.

I have found that if everything is installed as an administrator and then run as an administrator, it all works.

If apps need Admin permissions to run that is not the fault of Vista, Win7 or Win8, or even FSX. Win 8 is a big update over 7 to the core app handling on windows and the way idle apps are handled, there are many other improvements including GPU handling and a networking efficiency upgrade which could improve FSX performance with addons, Win8 is designed to run games better than ever. I've had reports of back to back testing on the same hardware improving FSX overall. I've got machines with both and Win7 takes ages to do everything. There are problems with some printers not having their drivers ready yet. Apart from the usual UiAutomationCore.dll requirement FSX runs sweetly.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com