Sign in to follow this  
Taver

Windows 8 one issue

I have completed my fresh install of Windows 8. So far FSX has never run better nor looked better. I run an eyefinity 3+1 setup and had some problems in Windows 7 with that setup that has been solved with Windows 8.

However, I have been able to install every pay-ware add-on with no issues what so ever except Just Flight installers that use the activeMARK security. The installer starts but as soon as the activemark splash logo appears nothing else happens. I am suspecting widows 8 thinks it is malware and is refusing the install. I have turned off UAC, anti-virus/malware and ran it as administrator and in all compatability modes but no luck. I have sent an email to Just Flight about the issue but I have not heard back yet.

Just giving a heads up to anyone else taking the Windows 8 plunge.

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

Update: I have narrowed down the issue to ver. 4.1.100.1332 installers. Still trying to find a solution.

Tim Curtis

Update: I have narrowed down the issue to ver. 4.1.100.1332 installers. Still trying to find a solution.

Thanks for the heads up and the update. I have a couple of those installers and am very interested in your findings. I see that there is a recommendation on Just Flight's discussion Forum to re-download updated installers. This may work for the A320 package mentioned there, but I have at least two older models that don't seem to have been updated and have installers that are still 4.1.xxx. Newer releases seem to have installers that are not 4.1 and may be fine.

Rick

I have an update.

If you have a product that uses this installer then try to re-download it from the vendor you bought the product from. Just Flight has been very helpful and for all the products I have had issues with they have re-packaged their products with a different installer and they all work. Hats off to Just Flight for correcting the issue quickly that Windows 8 threw in their lap.

Tim Curtis

Just giving a heads up to anyone else taking the Windows 8 plunge.

Taver - The information you are providing is great! There are some members up in the CTD Forum who say Windows 8 doesn't work with FSX and are having problems installing their addons. I have been trying to tell them others have successfully installed FSX and addons but they don't seem to believe it might be their fault. Could you possibly look in the Crash to Desktop forum and see if you have any suggestions for them to fix their problem(s) before they start kicking their computers and monitors to a pulp? Thanks!

@ Everyone else who has successfully installed FSX in Windows 8, could you help your fellow members with their issues too? Much appreciated!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Is there any one place on the AVSIM system that we should be posting and/or looking for Windows 8 tips and issues? I'm thinking of getting Win 8 for my system and am interested in whether an upgrade from Win 7/ 64 bit is best, or a fresh clean install, and then what other issues I might consider.

Thanks, Bruce.

"Windows 8 is awesome?" "So far FSX has never run better nor looked better"

In what ways is it better and awesome? Does it actually improve performance? Are you getting additional FPS?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

"Windows 8 is awesome?" "So far FSX has never run better nor looked better"

In what ways is it better and awesome? Does it actually improve performance? Are you getting additional FPS?

im getting more fps than win7, maybe its because of a new fresh install.

For me it solved a problem I was having with an Eyefinity + 1 setup that I have in that windows 7 didn't like the + 1 monitor because it was a different resolution.

Pertaining specifically to fsx along with the ati driver 12.11 I was able to rebuild my .cfg file and only include the highmemfix, affinitymask, bufferpools=0 tweaks, and remove shader mod 3.0.

My frame rates went up.

It can be argued that the game runs better because of the 12.11 driver and a clean install and I suspect that is the reason my system runs better not solely because of windows 8.

In my opinion is if you have windows 7 and are happy then don't upgrade. The issue for the flight sim community is that as people buy new computers it will have windows 8 so we need to find solutions to some of the problems cropping up.

Tim Curtis

im getting more fps than win7, maybe its because of a new fresh install.

Interesting. I didnt really see any need to upgrade to windows 8 before. So to buy it, and go through the trouble of upgrading and reinstalling everything is worth it? More fps. What are we talking about. a couple frames?

Because FSX and P3D are on very old code, it still has the inherent limitations of OOMs. I dont think win8 would fix this. Any crashes and freezes?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Interesting. I didnt really see any need to upgrade to windows 8 before. So to buy it, and go through the trouble of upgrading and reinstalling everything is worth it? More fps. What are we talking about. a couple frames?

Because FSX and P3D are on very old code, it still has the inherent limitations of OOMs. I dont think win8 would fix this. Any crashes and freezes?

every pc and laptop is different but with win8 and FSX/P3D.......i haven't had a crash since i installed the OS on a fresh empty drive. I'm clicking menus like a maniac and everything is stable.

TOSHIBA Satellite X870 Notebook

Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 3.40GHz with Turbo

17.3" 3D HD Screen

16GB Memory DDR3

1TB HDD

256GB SSD

BD-ROM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3gb GDDR5

Windows 8 is terrible. I had to reinstall and go back to Windows 7.

The new interface is a confusing mess.

There is no performance increase on Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

FXAA and SweetFX fail to work in Windows 8.

Intel SRT fails to work in Windows 8.

And the last straw,

My HP Printer fails to work in Windows 8!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I see the pinned thread that Word Not Allowed started on Win 8, although not too encouraging from the reports of users in that thread.... Thanks, Bruce.

From what I've seen, multi-monitor support is supposed to be better in Win8. I don't have a direct comparison, but I have found it easier to get a dual monitor in Nvidia the way I want compared to Win7. Still a couple of quirks with how the desktop works.

scott s.