Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Closing Down Unofficial ORBX Forums being Considered

Hi Alain,

Well you force me into a debate on semantics. To “advertise” the poster surely has to gain from the post? I’d have thought that the ruling applied to such posts? To “endorse” an add-on may be of benefit to the seller but if we follow that argument EVERY Forum, post or screenshot that contains a brand name could be seen as advertising? Taken to a logical conclusion we’d have to stop screenshots and ban brand names in posts. The PMDG fans and Carenado fans all relay wishes, development news and release info on those forums and in the general forums too.

You’ve posted your stance on FTX many times here Alain and whilst I don’t agree with it I defend to the death your right to post it. However if you don’t want information on a certain brands products why read the forum?

As I’ve discussed before I like some of the products under that label and they are the work of many different developers, many of whom have contributed freeware and hosted sites where they have been friendly, open to discussion and helpful. Frankly my ban says more about the person that’s banned me and their inability to take on board constructive criticism in an area that I actually studied at College. Their loss; not mine, because we can still have a sensible and civilised debate here thanks to the good guys on the AVSim forums. I would not have mentioned it in the open forum if the suggestion of closing the section hadn't been raised.

Remember that “Every Dog must have its day”. FTX might have the best solution/compromise of 3D scenery for FS right now (in some regions) but there were contenders before and contenders waiting in the wings? Technology improves and yesterdays programme crasher becomes tomorrows “standard”. Developers set up their own companies and go their own way.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Geof, Scott...

It's not different at all, I think Avsim was to...how should I say...easy with their rules, if they apply the rules for this forums they will also have to do it for other forums, what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Scott...Haha a little Latin here...well I should have said that Orbx is not the end of the world (for me).

Geoff, I read this forum because sometime I can help with a problem...(not always) as I did before, nothing to do with the fact that I like or not the company, again, I love the products I got from them but that's it. I will also defend your right to post your opinion if I don't agree with it.

A good company will earned a lot of respect from their customers, the way Orbx (the boss) did some of his customers (including you) has earned him nothing in my eyes,

Call me an old Hippie Alain but I still believe "what goes around, comes around". Your help was/is noted so you're with the good guys :good: but whilst I'm on the clichés we Brits have another one. "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face." :wink: those who do us down get their comeuppance.

Geoff

@peppy197 do you think so? I come here because there's so much useful stuff.

In fact since I read this Neil from the NA FTX dev team just posted this on the FTX forum

South Alaska (SAK) is very much in process and we are working to have a release before the end of the year (hopefully).

Northern California (NCA) is also actively in work and due out sometime in the first half of next year.

New England/Maritimes (NEM) area airports are being worked as I type.

so hope that ends on a positive note? BTW not advertising from me. I have friends in Northern California and know New England quite well so I look forward to those.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Though it might seem getting a bit technical. If its in the Avsim rules and an exception isn't made then I guess that would have to stop. But whether it is or not stopped there is the website to find out which isn't hard.

I read the 'London Calling' thread and it seems nothing has changed Geoff? Though something new I saw was that he wasn't prepared to ban you in the thread but I guess in a PM......maybe easier to deny when its not out in public? :P

New England/Maritimes (NEM) area airports are being worked as I type. (lost author)

ORBX is the only thing besides P3D that is keeping the flight sim experience alive and growing.

of course, thats my opinion

ORBX is the only thing besides P3D that is keeping the flight sim experience alive and growing.

Your definetely entitled to your opinion (well at avsim at least), but are you saying that if there was no ORBX or if ORBX went out of business the hobby and professions of flight sim would stop growing and die off?

..... seems that AVSIM is geting a bit bitter these days

We are? I must have missed that memo. Please explain...

I don't care in particular for any forum here whose subtext is to serve as an "agony aunt" platform for the disenfranchised. I say this from experience as I had to learn this the hard way with Flight. However, the need for an alternative source of support seems to be a very valid raison d'etre.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

You'r kidding right?....yeaaaa, I know you'r kidding.

I don't own either, don't plan on owning orbx ever and yet manage to enjoy fsx. Funny that.

With no disrespect intended towards the fine Orbx developers, I would respectfully (and thankfully) disagree. It's amazing to me how many innovators we still have working to improve the flight sim experience.

Scott

Frankly if that's all you found then you haven't read many posts. The "Angry" as you choose to call them had every right to be angry and included a number of people who had contributed constructively on the official ORBX forum. If you don't understand their anger you've missed the point. Further more you've missed the fact that many are now able to log onto the forums but still find this a useful section.

Geoff

hmm maybe i read them wrong but alain hendo and a few others never seem too happy when they are here :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

hmm maybe i read them wrong but alain hendo and a few others never seem too happy when they are here

:p0305: Indeed you read wrong about me :vava: , not sucking up to a company does not make me unhappy...au contraire, standing my ground for what I beleive in make me happy. :Party:

not sucking up to a company does not make me unhappy...au contraire, standing my ground for what I beleive in make me happy.

I some what feel the same.

And to again add,

Ever since I was booted from the Glee club and spending countless nights crying myself to sleep :lol: I really don't look out for any ORBX releases nor if I hear about them does it make a ripple within my FS hobby.