Sign in to follow this  
miggs

Windows 8 and FSX - Worth the download!

I've got Windows 8. In fact, I upgraded every computer in my house and everyone in my family loves it.

I have no idea why so many people trash talk an OS that they haven't even tried and or used for an hour. :lol:

I haven't noticed a change an increase or decrease in performance coming from Win 7 but I will caution others out there that you may run into compatibility issues with some of your addons. Specifically, the Level D 767 and the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR22 won't run with Windows 8. On the Level D forums the canned response is 'Windows 8 is not supported' and judging from the feedback who knows when or if it will get a patch to run on Windows 8. Such a shame as it's one of my all time favorite addons but Win8 has grown on me and I've changed my mind about going back to Win7. With regards to the Eaglesoft Cirrus, that's the only Eaglesoft product I own so I can't speak for their other planes when it comes to Win 8 compatibility.

Okay so then definitely no Win 8 for me. Not that I would have gotten it even without those problems, so far haven't heard about a single improvement over Windows 7 that would benefit me.

Okay so then definitely no Win 8 for me. Not that I would have gotten it even without those problems, so far haven't heard about a single improvement over Windows 7 that would benefit me.

+1

However, I do need to spend my next 8months plugging it to the University.. Here look at this.. Great for notebooks and laptops, if you have a desktop though.. Stay away.. Welcome to microsoft ;).

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I only bought Win8 because I found 25 $ on PayPal account I had forgotten about. So it really cost me only about 20 bucks

So just for fun I made a new install elsewhere (NOT an upgrade NO WAY) on another drive.

First impressions:

• its pretty
  • its vague
  • its what really?
  • had a hard time shutting down even...let alone anything else
  • has a learning curve that throws you... curves

With this I would go with: "If it's not broken; don't try to fix it." If your FSX is working well with Windows 7, an o'clock-ed processor, and tweaks, why bother moving to Windows 8. Like many other manufactures, they know many stuff well ahead, many years, and they are used keep bringing them out as if it is the greatest thing on earth. From AOL 1 to buddy 10. From I-phone 1 to I-phone 10...just a game. So, for us if our current setting is working fine, why bother going to 8, 9 or 10. Wait until there is a significant (significant) change, as in processors.

No FS11 from Microsoft, no new Windows for me...

Nice that it is working out for you though.

Apart from joystick trouble, anyone with extensive cockpit hardware setups experienced any trouble with drivers etc?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I will share my opinion mantra-like these days:

if you are happy with Win7: stay there.

if you are curious about a new OS with some new features: change!

I like it very much, and I would not go back!

However as several times stated, there's no benefit for FSX; but the system overall is much faster and rockstable!

I like the new startmenu more and more - many nice additions.

That's my opinion!

So nobody is forced to change, there's really no need!

But please stop throwing out such "stay away" phrases ...

If you don't like it, don't use it. But the most negative comments about, are from people who never tested it, or if so, then not more then one or two hours! And for sure you need some time to get the new features.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't mind trying it but I don't believe for a second that it will make stuff all difference to FSX performance. Any increase that anyone notices is most likely due to a fresh install and/or problems with the configuration they had and until there are concrete tests to prove that FSX is faster under Windows 8 I won't believe it.

I haven't noticed a change an increase or decrease in performance coming from Win 7 but I will caution others out there that you may run into compatibility issues with some of your addons. Specifically, the Level D 767 and the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR22 won't run with Windows 8. On the Level D forums the canned response is 'Windows 8 is not supported' and judging from the feedback who knows when or if it will get a patch to run on Windows 8. Such a shame as it's one of my all time favorite addons but Win8 has grown on me and I've changed my mind about going back to Win7. With regards to the Eaglesoft Cirrus, that's the only Eaglesoft product I own so I can't speak for their other planes when it comes to Win 8 compatibility.

Is it not possible to right click and run in Win 7 compatibility mode?

I have to think this is what's happening. FSX has always been exceedingly difficult to pinpoint exactly what gives it durable improvements, and this seems like the first guess about why the OP is experiencing this in this way. Having to reinstall the OS 15x in 2 weeks is in itself makes one wonder if the apple the orange was compared to was outright rotten! All these conjectures (on my part) aside, it's always good to hear impressions of new technology!

As I said, the 15x (or more) installs were entirely due to software provided by ASUS - nothing to do with FSX itself - The major problem I had was after doing a clean install of Win7 then installing the ASUS provided software and then FSX - I ran into major problems. I then try and uninstall ASUS software, but really, it never actually goes away, there is always some of their ###### still running somewhere in the bowels of the machine. The only way to remedy this is another Win 7 fresh install.

After the fresh install, you always end up needing some driver or some piece of software - in many instances, I needed some Intel drivers, after I install them, I then find out they are Intel drivers provided by and fiddled with by ASUS!!!! so the problem starts over again.

With Win8 - I didn't need to install ASUS rubbish - it installed everything virtually on its own.

I will share my opinion mantra-like these days:

if you are happy with Win7: stay there.

if you are curious about a new OS with some new features: change!

I like it very much, and I would not go back!

However as several times stated, there's no benefit for FSX; but the system overall is much faster and rockstable!

I like the new startmenu more and more - many nice additions.

That's my opinion!

So nobody is forced to change, there's really no need!

But please stop throwing out such "stay away" phrases ...

If you don't like it, don't use it. But the most negative comments about, are from people who never tested it, or if so, then not more then one or two hours! And for sure you need some time to get the new features.

It is rockstable! I haven't had a crash or BSOD since installing it! I believe Microsoft were allowing you to download a trial version free??? It is worth a look! I used to be a Windows XP die hard until Win 7 came out, after installing Win 7 I would never go back to XP - however, to me Win 7 has run its course and the new Win 8 is a big step in the right direction. You cannot crash this system! as the poster says, it is ROCK SOLID STABLE!

I wouldn't mind trying it but I don't believe for a second that it will make stuff all difference to FSX performance. Any increase that anyone notices is most likely due to a fresh install and/or problems with the configuration they had and until there are concrete tests to prove that FSX is faster under Windows 8 I won't believe it.

OK, I maybe mislead some people by accident if I gave the impression that you got better frame rates (which I actually believe I do) after installing Win 8 with FSX - The major benefits are the speed in which the system loads, the speed that FSX loads, the way the graphics drivers and system drivers are loaded when you install the Win 8 OS.

As an example - Fresh install of Win 7 ultimate, you end up with a VGA graphics driver for your video card - you can then either go and search for a compatible driver say from Nvidia - maybe 160MB download and then install just to get your screen up and running. Then if like me you have an ACER 2251W second monitor - go looking for a driver for that and see where you get!

I loaded Win 8 - it had already installed the latest Nvidia Driver for my main monitor, installed the Dell Drivers, and had even installed all the drivers for My Acer which whilst being connected to my Nvidia 460 - wasn't even switched on.

For 39.99 it is a bargain!

With this I would go with: "If it's not broken; don't try to fix it." If your FSX is working well with Windows 7, an o'clock-ed processor, and tweaks, why bother moving to Windows 8. Like many other manufactures, they know many stuff well ahead, many years, and they are used keep bringing them out as if it is the greatest thing on earth. From AOL 1 to buddy 10. From I-phone 1 to I-phone 10...just a game. So, for us if our current setting is working fine, why bother going to 8, 9 or 10. Wait until there is a significant (significant) change, as in processors.

My Windows 3.1 wasn't broken! Neither was Win 95, nor was Win 98 - nor Win XP, nor Win 7 - but sometimes you just have to try something a bit different - Personally, I liked DOS 1.0 - it was great in 1976, but things change!

If everyone has this attitude, why bother buying a new processor or graphics card?

"My 15" Hewlett Packhard Green Screen CRT Monitor looks just fine!!! It's not broken - why should I replace it? - I am perfectly happy with my BBC Micro running programs from an audio cassette, whilst I concur that it is somewhat limited - why fix what isn't broken? And for all those new technology idiots out there buying into any new fad that comes along - Bugger That! I am perfectly happy with my 640K processor and 16KB of RAM! In fact I still cherish my Hewlett Packhard 20MB Hard Disk that costs as much as a new house - It isn't broken so I won't change it - as long as I remember to park the heads with Dpark before I switch off - don't you just hate that grinding noise? whatever that could be?

I wish too that I had kept my BBC Micr Audio Cassette software for my original Flight Simulator Software - AVIATOR - go and check that one out on Google - it too wasn't broken!

It's not that bad to use once you get used to it, but the joystick issue in FSX/P3D is a showstopper for me.

Losing control in the middle of a flight is not funny, especially when running a complex aircraft and connected to a VA ACARS system. Not easy to pick up where you left off if you need to restart the sim.

Back to W7 until I hear that this issue has been addressed. :wacko:

It's not that bad to use once you get used to it, but the joystick issue in FSX/P3D is a showstopper for me.

Losing control in the middle of a flight is not funny, especially when running a complex aircraft and connected to a VA ACARS system. Not easy to pick up where you left off if you need to restart the sim.

Back to W7 until I hear that this issue has been addressed. :wacko:

Exactly - You might get NORAD fighters on your starboard bow threatening to shoot you down if you enter controlled airspace - not to mention the responsibility you have for you passengers lives! Perish the thought, and imagine the paperwork from the FAA - you may never fly again!

Look on the bright side though, if you did manage to get everyone down in one piece, you may be the next Sully "Sullenberger" of FSX! The Washington Post - "Rabid Rabbi saves entire flight and passengers despite disappearing joystick in Windows 8" The purple heart!

JFK Control "Rabid - can you make New Jersey? "

Rabid "Negative"

JFK Control "Can you turn back?"

Rabid "Negative"

Rabid "It looks like the Hudson"

JFK Control "Say again speedbird?"

Rabid "Lost my joystick in Win 8!"

JFK Control "Understand - can you see the Hudson?

Rabid "We are going down"

JFK Control "Can you hit that little button next to the power switch that says RESTART?"

Rabid "Can't Do - we are going to be in the Hudson!

JFK Tower "Repeat Speedbird confirm you are going into the Hudson river?"

Rabid "Hang on a minute, the wife is just bringing me a coffee..."

JFK Tower "Rabid can you make a quick reinstall of Widows 7?"

Rabid "Negative - we are going down lost both engines and my joystick!"

Rabid "Darling, thanks for the coffee, have you seen my Windows 7 installation DVD and the Joystick drivers?"

Awards, TV appearances, who knows where it might end!

I however would probably reboot and look for some new device drivers - or get a parachute.

not sure I like the look of Win8 but eventually I guess I will be forced into it with my next computer.

Hello

Why ?, could you not just reformat and install Win7 on the new machine

I would need some good bench marking to make it worthwhile for an upgrade.

And, not sure I like the look of Win8 but eventually I guess I will be forced into it with my next computer.

32 Gigs RAM, OC 5.1...I'm doing just fine with i7 920, 16 gigs RAM, GTX260 1.7 gig video card. You guys must be screaming fast.

I still have a set of 3 x 1.44MB floppy disks with Win 3.1 if you are game for a laugh!

I still have a set of 3 x 1.44MB floppy disks with Win 3.1 if you are game for a laugh!

And to think they made a fortune off that...

Let alone DOS (one almost empty floppy...was it 97 kB or more)