Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

AS2012 SP2! Beta #4 is now available

OK, a simple test on my side:

Google - overcast - limit time to in the last hour - find a place on earth that shows overcast - load FSX there.

Additionally, why are Cirrus Clouds displayed kind of "double". They look kinda blurred...

Then I did 3 tests:

1) loaded Opus

2) loaded AS2012 with smooth transitions default

3) screenie of weather report in AS2012

4) loaded Opus

One additional shot (can AS break my hardware???) :O

And yes, overcast hardcore.

Thanks for the screenshots. That helps to understand what you are seeing and referring to.

So there is an area of clearer clouds to the east of the area, but directly over the airport reporting here (KDTO) there is solid overcast, as well as all the way to the north and south. Here is a shot rotated to the north so you can see what the conditions are on the other side and directly over the airport:

KDTO-2.jpg

Interpolation is providing the variable area of clearer clouds to the east. We can fine tune this. Am I to understand that it is preferred that OVC clouds at one airport should be spread out as far as the eye can see, in station-based mode, and avoid any potential clearer areas regardless of data and/or our own processes which might determine a potential area of clearer clouds away from any data?

When using DWC mode without Local Station Writes you get the wall-to-wall coverage, BTW:

KDTO-1.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Am I to understand that it is preferred that OVC clouds at one airport should be spread out as far as the eye can see, in station-based mode, and avoid any potential clearer areas regardless of data and/or our own processes which might determine a potential area of clearer clouds away from any data?

If the stations report OVC, then the depiction should be OVC. I looked at the MAP function in the AS2012, and noticed that all stations in the area reported OVC, albeit not at the same height.

Why do your processes determine a potential area of clearer clouds if there are no stations reporting it? What is the determination?

And thanks for the DWC, I'll test with it!

ok - this is what I see. Using DWC with local stations. All visibility options checked. Used AS2012 to search for IMC and started there

These are views on runway and during climbout.

at 1700 feet

at 3000 feet

Vic

and more looking backwards -

and wider angle

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So there is an area of clearer clouds to the east of the area, but directly over the airport reporting here (KDTO) there is solid overcast, as well as all the way to the north and south.

This is exactly the kind of cloud depictions I've been getting with AS2012 all along, and it is exactly what I want. DWC with Local Station Writes and Prevent Cloud Redraws. On the ground or in the air, I can see correct weather for my location, and changing weather in the distance.

SP1 seemed to depict overcast as cumulus (a real frame rate killer), and on one fight I had the same clouds the whole flight, while the weather map when I landed showed different clouds. This last problem was possibly due to having a 30 minute weather update interval, which I have since changed to 10 minutes. Sometimes the initial weather depiction makes more sense than it does after it goes through the synthesis process, but I understand the necessity for it. I have occasionally grumbled a bit when the barometric pressure changed back and forth when flying near different stations; I'd prefer a change slow enough that I couldn't detect it by watching the altimeter. These are the only problems I've ever had with AS2012.

Larry Hookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Here are some screen captures from today for PAKT. I used the default "Standard Depiction Mode" and only checked "Create Additional Stations" and unchecked "Local Range Suppression." Active Sky 122.00 MHz PAKT wx was reporting light rain with 2,500 ft. overcast, 4,200 ft. overcast (photos 1, 2).

I did have a solid good-looking overcast, with light rain, when I first loaded FSX. However, the rain stopped before I took off, and in some areas, the clouds began getting lighter (thinner). Soon after takeoff, blue holes began to appear in the lighter cloud areas.

I took the first in-flight screen captures after leveling off at 2000 ft (photo 3), the next two at 1,000 ft (photos 4, 5), and the final one during my landing (photo 6). All the captures were taken in few minutes, before the next wx update.

My captures are similar to those in Post #37. On other days, I have gotten overcast depictions similar to those in Post #25.

Howard Sodja

There is a problem with overcast again!

Now using DWC, and in Minneapolis the metar is saying OVC031.

At first I get abysmal performance of 20FPS with C172 on KMSP, and the the weather clears, and I get a HUGE blue hole, and clouds only in the distance. Directly above me there are only blue skies.

Using Opus demo app now, I get consistent overcast. Been sitting for 5min now at the runway in KMSP.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you guys.

Thanks everyone for the information and screenshots. We have identified some issues are we are working on improving this for the next beta build. Regarding DWC: One issue is related to local station writes option causing clearing.

Damian Clark

2012111210264221.png

20121112102627159.png

20121112103054166.png

20121112103938435.png

Nice work on sp2 HIFI and thanks for your help with my issue yesterday Damian :wink:

Chris Howard

Thanks everyone for the information and screenshots. We have identified some issues are we are working on improving this for the next beta build. Regarding DWC: One issue is related to local station writes option causing clearing.

So for now leave this unchecked? I currently have it checked.

Eric 

So for now leave this unchecked? I currently have it checked.

If you're you'd like cloud coverage as reported for closest station being replicated across the entire horizon/sky then we do recommend un-checking this for now. With it enabled there are potential areas of clearer clouds, but this depends on data and area.

Damian Clark

Chris's pictures just made me purchase this baby a while back. Oh boy did i miss my winds aloft and the turbulence when in thunderstorms... Right now cruising over Kamenskoye (UHPZ) on IVAO with my trusty MD-11 from VHHX to PANC and the weather depiction has been fabulous. I have been holding back on AS2012 because weather engines aren't exactly cheap and i already had one but i needed the winds...

Passed through a thunderstorm back in Japan, with lots of turbulence and high altitude clouds, i could almost feel the MD-11 cracking and screaming as it shaked back and forth... You have a winner in your hands, don't let it slip!

Great job!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi NaMco

We are consistently improving on all area including graphics quality and taking ALL feedback , I have noticed you got issue with some clouds of doom compressed before, I recommend you to reduce this issue, with our clouds from SP2 and stratus clouds from SP2, In AS2012, you can select in separate wispy, stratus and cumulus and build your clouds, not limited to one total clouds sets without know what you will end up on some situation. You can see them quickly in the preview on the interface, SP2 Stratus, which blend all together for more realistic experience overall see the screenshots below..

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I agree about the graphic hit with AS2012. My GPU memory went from 50% to 97% when it updated from few clouds to scattered clouds. This was with DXT enabled for all cloud types and 1024 textures enabled. Terrible memory hit as well.

Eric