Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Thinking of buying the 747X

I think minimum 6 months is realistic. Unless they've got some surprises up their sleeve..

I second the first part. I'm not going to comment on the progess of the V2 just because we haven't seen pictures. However, I do think we are in for a big surprise with the 77L...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I do think we are in for a big surprise with the 77L...

Agreed! I'm betting this time next month she'll be in our sims or very close!

Read somewhere that people thought that the V2 would be out within weeks of the 777? Also compared to today's price of $54.99 which is around £34 how much would you expect the V2 to differ in price?

how much would you expect the V2 to differ in price?

With the V2, $20-25 at the max.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thinking I might just get the current version , it seems well priced and there will be plenty to keep me entertained until I find the money for either the 777 or V2.

c'mon Chris... you've got a longer wishlist than that... :P

Its much longer and it starts with a machine that will give 30FPS over KSEA with Orbx PNW and heavily overcast B)

Go ahead, buy the 744x. This way, they can use your money to finish the 777, and the 744 v2 for us... ;-)))))

Nope :lol:

Read somewhere that people thought that the V2 would be out within weeks of the 777? Also compared to today's price of $54.99 which is around £34 how much would you expect the V2 to differ in price?

Yeah that Avsim post after the conference - it also said "Soon to commence Beta Testing 777" ha.

If you have other stuff in your hangar that could fill your time until v2, I'd just be patient and wait it out.

Sounds about right. MD-11 will have to do till v2 is out.

Also consider the total cost.. If you want both the -400 and the -8i

I'm not sure of the plan though for expansions but I tend to buy them so I'm not buying v1 I'm waiting for V2.

There is still plenty of good stuff to fly in the meantime.

I'm thinking of buying the 747X as my VA has a bunch of routes that require that plane but I wonder if it makes sense to buy the current version that's over 4 years old or wait till v2 is released. Since PMDG has no release date for v2 (or the 777 for that matter), I'm of two minds.

What do you guys think?

Hi Chris,

I don't know if you already have the NGX and, if yes, if you like the lack of 2D panels.

Not that I want to start an argument but I understand that is the way future PMDG developments will be. So, buying the V1 version lets you have a more "conventional" sim, which might be a buying point for you.

As far as when V2 will be available, your only cue is that the 777 is not and that the 747 v2 will be released after it (unless I've missed something). To me, that means no V2 for at least 6 months (very optimistic) or a year (more realistic but that is only a guess).

I don't know about you budget (50 bucks is a hefty sum for some but peanuts for others) If you don't care about the very, very very latest in graphic improvements and if you are more interested in

1- Learning the 747 systems

2- Flying 747 routes now while they last (who knows how many airlines will still fly the 747 in a year or two?)

Then you may want to go for V1 (Heck, I bought the FS9 version THIS YEAR because I didn't want to spend the time to re-install FSX, and make it work :P and I only wanted to do exactly what is mentioned in my points 1 and 2 above).

Bruno

future (2014?) NGX customer

edited for typos

Hi Chris,

I don't know if you already have the NGX and, if yes, if you like the lack of 2D panels.

I have the NGX and have never been a fan of 2D panels to be honest so lack of one is fine.

As far as when V2 will be available, your only cue is that the 777 is not and that the 747 v2 will be released after it (unless I've missed something). To me, that means no V2 for at least 6 months (very optimistic) or a year (more realistic but that is only a guess).

I don't think anyone really knows what PMDG is doing about their release dates. I do remember seeing a request for volunteers from FS2Crew for voice-overs for the 777 so I'm hoping that means the product is ready or almost ready for release.

I don't know about you budget (50 bucks is a hefty sum for some but peanuts for others)

It's pretty hefty but since its my only vise, I mean hobby..........

If you don't care about the very, very very latest in graphic improvements and if you are more interested in

I do care and the NGX and, to a lesser extent, the MD11, have spoiled me there

1- Learning the 747 systems

2- Flying 747 routes now while they last (who knows how many airlines will still fly the 747 in a year or two?)

I am interested in (1) and my VA flies the 747 which is why I was thinking about it

Then you may want to go for V1 (Heck, I bought the FS9 version THIS YEAR because I didn't want to spend the time to re-install FSX, and make it work :P and I only wanted to do exactly what is mentioned in my points 1 and 2 above).

I'll wait till the end of the year. Maybe PMDG will give us all a nice Christmas present :biggrin:

In the meantime, I'll keep flying the MD-11 B)

It's your money,

I would wait. PMDG will be making the 747 along side the 777 so there shouldn't be a large difference in time of release. Be patient, the 747 v1 is a good aircraft [i have most of my hours there 3000+] but it does show its age [8years? ]

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

My two issues with the 747X are FPS in the VC and occasional bobbing issues at cruise that I've never been able to adequately resolve. The reason they're making V2 is because the 747X is a FS9 port - a very good one, but a port nonetheless. Something about the VC is terribly inefficient in terms of framerates. It is the lowest FPS VC in my entire virtual hangar - the NGX is far more advanced on every level and still runs far more efficiently than the 747X VC. The 2D panel is quite advanced, however. Back when I flew the 747X a lot, I wasn't into VCs much yet. It's weird to go back to 2D panels once you're used to VCs but the 747X 2D panels certainly get the job done.

The other issue is the bobbing at cruise. I've never really understood what the cause is, or what specifically triggers it, but it happens enough to be a source of irritation. You'll get up to cruise altitude - which can take quite a while when this thing is loaded up - and the nose will start pitching up and down slightly and it can get pretty severe.

Make no mistake - it's an excellent sim. The 747X was my first PMDG purchase and I flew the bejeebers out of it. But, those two reasons are why I use mostly the MD-11 for my long haul flights now.

but it does show its age [8years? ]

Alex

And that right there is the biggest reason I haven't purchased it

I use mostly the MD-11 for my long haul flights now.

Same here. Its strange a lot of people don't like the MD-11. I only got it because I was so impressed with the NGX. Now, pretty much all my tubeliner flights are done with the MD-11. Its much more interesting to fly, as is my QW 146.

Thing is that due to PMDG toiling with us that people don't have a clue when the V2 will be arriving, means I'm stuck between thinking it could be round the corner to a year away. The bigger issue is how people think differently on the release schedule as some say it will be months after the T7 with others saying it will be almost straight away. I'm gagging to fly a complex 747 but I also don't want to buy the 747X and then a dew days later look like a fool when PMDG release the V2.