Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Most boring Long Haul in FSX?

One thing I find sometimes inaccurate is fuel burn regardless of the aircraft. I tried replicating a real,flight I did with a friend in a Cessna Skylane Turbo for 4 hours straight (shoulder to shoulder and cramped!) but when I tried it in a Carenado version the fuel ran out long before even with correct engine settings and similar weather/ winds

I also did a 15 hr B777 flight in real life that used a lot more fuel in the FSX version and also ran short.

I would be interested if others have experience similar fuel experiences (understanding diffferences in wind, etc).

Have you ensured that the cruising altitude winds are similar? Especially on long-haul flights, differences in winds can alter fuel consumption significantly. Also ensure that you are adjusting fuel pumps appropriately and considering aircraft weights.

I have found that using the fuel calculation techniques described in the PMDG B747 manual results in sufficient fuel loads for all of my short-haul flights.

Holy crappers some of you folks do long flights,gees. I make my flight plans for 20 to 40 minutes between landings, thats long enough for this chair flyer.

Exactly

Holy crappers some of you folks do long flights,gees. I make my flight plans for 20 to 40 minutes between landings, thats long enough for this chair flyer.

While us long haul flyers would say that short amount of time is nothing but a waste of time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Back in the day, When I was working from a home office, I could get up early, prep a flight, and get airborne before "going to work" I was flying for Singapore V A in those fun days, and would fly long routes, WSSS to KLAX, EGLL, EDDF, PANC, FAJS, FACP. Sometimes passengers and sometimes cargo using the PSS 777 and PMDG 744. I could work on one PC while flying on another.... watching the weather, responding to ATC, managing the flight, balancing fuel. It was a total blast, at least I thought at the time!!!!! Usually by the end of my work day, I'd be in a descent and prepping an approach. Those were the days!!!! Best to everyone Paul Benoit (Kbos)

Once last year, I did a 3 hr flight in FSX (PMDG 737) and was cruising along at 38,000. I had become mezmorized or maybe just sleepy when very suddenly an Airbus crossed my path at maybe 100' above and about 45 degree angle. I'm pretty certian I lifted right of the seat. Startled the **** out of me!

So, maybe sometimes these long flights can get exciting ..... sometimes.

Ron W

Get a Cessna, piper, cub, bonanza fly small airports with gravel landing strips like in MSEv2 or Orbx goodies flying at 30,000 is job to me and no way would I sit at computer screen just flying for 8 hours a day.

Back in the day, When I was working from a home office, I could get up early, prep a flight, and get airborne before "going to work" I was flying for Singapore V A in those fun days, and would fly long routes, WSSS to KLAX, EGLL, EDDF, PANC, FAJS, FACP. Sometimes passengers and sometimes cargo using the PSS 777 and PMDG 744. I could work on one PC while flying on another.... watching the weather, responding to ATC, managing the flight, balancing fuel. It was a total blast, at least I thought at the time!!!!! Usually by the end of my work day, I'd be in a descent and prepping an approach. Those were the days!!!! Best to everyone Paul Benoit (Kbos)

Lol seems like its catching! I tried this today it gives you little breaks when you have to go and check that everything in the flight is going smoothly

But because I was ehem 'working' I didn't bother to do a proper pre-flight and check the weather at the destination or bother to note the ILS frequencies. After all I was going from cold damp England to the Canary Islands. AND I had work to do. 4 odd hour flight so should be landing in time for lunch.

Had turbulence along the route so had to switch the seat belt signs on a couple of times to keep my FS Passengers happy, and about 30min from landing off I went to make a sandwich. Bliss.

Upon my return and whilst refuelling my belly I did all the bits that were required for descent but couldn't see anything out the window! Had something crashed? No It was thick fog. This turned out to extend right down to minimums. At about 200 feet I caught a tiny glimpse of the runway and then proceeded to crash. After exuding many expletives I switched off the FSX PC and got on with work.

I know, I know, ;)

Bri

Edit. I'm now looking over my shoulder for the corporate manslaughter police lol. Oh, you meant about it might just be a sim but one should do everything correctly and be prepared!!!

I flew from Stansted to St Maarten in the MD-11 not long ago and realised I was flying over a cyclone off the east coast.

I flew from Stansted to St Maarten in the MD-11 not long ago and realised I was flying over a cyclone off the east coast.

That seems like the opposite of the thread title :lol:

Daniel Miller

I think a flight from Los Angeles to Sidney must be even worse. Nothing but water and very little traffic passing by.......

Menno

I'm flying that one right now with the pmdg 747

ron6468 wrote:-

"I once knew a bunch of model train enthusiasts that refused to play with their trains while the local railroad was on strike".

Now that's just hilarious. :rolleyes:

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg