Sign in to follow this  
Propeller

iFly 737 or QW BAE 146

I'm thinking about going back to flight sim again more seriously after not flying so much at all during the last years. I used to fly the Maddog MD-80 which is absolutely a fantastic aircraft, but I would like to start with a new plane.

I'm thinking about getting either the iFly 737 or the QualtiWings BAE 146.

The BAE 146 seems to be a very good aircraft, that I'm very interested in learning to fly, but I'm a bit concerned about it being quite a limited aircraft type regarding range and number of operators, for example.

A B737 on the other hand is more allround, but perhaps more boring compared to the BAE 146.

Which one would you píck, and why?

Thanks

Guest 6FingerSays

They are VERY different, but the IFly 737 would get my buy.

The BAE 146 is so unusual, and I have never flown on it... so I wouldn't really do anything for me.

I would go the 146, you can do short or medium hops, and even get into some very challenging airports like London city, etc. great workhorse which is still being flown today.

I would go the 146, you can do short or medium hops, and even get into some very challenging airports like London city, etc. great workhorse which is still being flown today.

You can do short hops with the 737 as well. Check out some of those Southwest routes out there (ex. KMDW to KIND).

My vote would be to get both as they are equally classics in our sim world.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I love both of them and you would be happy no matter which one you got. But the 737 gets my vote if you have to choose one

You can do short hops with the 737 as well. Check out some of those Southwest routes out there (ex. KMDW to KIND).

My vote would be to get both as they are equally classics in our sim world.

I agree - go with both! These are FS9 classics and superb by any standard. They also both have the advantage that you can just hop in and fly if you wish or you can follow all the real world procedures depending on what takes your fancy. And it's nearly Christmas - treat yourself!!

Bill

EGLC has a runway length of 4,948 feet and BAE 146 or rj85 variant is a regular visitor.

I am not the B737NG series can take off in that short a distance normally loaded. KMDW's runways are much longer. In some environmental conditions Southwest Airlines put load limits on 737's going in there according to articles regarding this.

B738s are used from the US west coast to some of the Hawaiian islands so they can be used for quite a range, from ksjc to phnl for one.

Here's a link to B737NG variants performance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B737-800#Specifications

and the BAe 146-200:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_146#Specifications_.28BAe_146-200.29

As you can see the BAe range is much shorter than the 737NGs but they can get out of EGLC (as scheduled). The shortest take-off role of the 738 variants is 5,200 feet - close but no cigar.

When Delta (as Northwest Airlines) had the Avro RJ-85 Bae variant used as a regional airliner and then retired it, they had no problem selling those to European markets in some cases replacing Saab 340B turbo prop routes. The RJ is a favorite in noise sensitive areas because its four engines for this model class certification are operated well derated and satisfy tight noise requirements. (The RJ-85 routes are now operated with CRJ-200s or similar.

So see if you need the shorter runway landing performance or the longer range of your desired fleet.

While there is some glass in the RJ panel, more than the BAe 146-200, it is nothing like the large glass facilities in the B738NG series. Also compare take-off weights and passenger capacity.

You're not going to like what I have to say Propeller ...

The Maddog remains the perfect fit. It lies somewhere between the iFly and Avro in size, capacity, range etc.

And it is still being flown. As a sim aircraft it doesn't take second place to either.

Whilst I enjoy the iFly (excellent support BTW) and the Avro, the Maddog, to my mind, represents the top echelon in FS9. Once you have mastered it, and I certainly haven't (yet) you know you are indeed a Captain.The experience is further enhanced by FS2Crew ... if you haven't got it ... get it . :P

Lots of good advice tendered in the above posts and if you REALLY want a change then the iFly, with free optional Dreamliner Max livery, will take you to the bleeding edge.

Best of luck.

PS. And then, of course, there is the Airsimmer ... but thats another story.

EGLC has a runway length of 4,948 feet and BAE 146 or rj85 variant is a regular visitor.

I am not the B737NG series can take off in that short a distance normally loaded. KMDW's runways are much longer. In some environmental conditions Southwest Airlines put load limits on 737's going in there according to articles regarding this.

Boeing has a Short Field Performance package for the NG. GOL ordered it for their 738 in 2006. That allows airlines to fly in and out of airports with runways less than 5,000 ft long.

Take Santos Dumont for instance. Runway length 4331ft and 4134ft. Not bad. And, as far as I know, the iFly NG simulates this option as well.

Thank you all for sharing some advice and thoughts regarding this. It's still a difficult desicion but I think I will go for one of them to start with and maybe get the other one later on.

The 737 is in the lead right now, but not by much, I still have some time to think about it as I will wait until the christmas holidays from university. It's not a god idea to buy a new aircraft right now when the exams are approaching.

I go to Wikipedia.com and look up airports of interest. They show what airlines and destinations are served. I then check out the airline fleet and schedule.

I use the PMDG B737 and B 738 models, not too much the B736 or B739.

Something to fill up some entertainment time.

I see the OP is in Sweden and the turbo-prop Saab240B and Saab 2000 is used quite bit there besides jetliners, another interesting option.

Ifly by far, it really pushes FS9. Just make sure you register to get the Feature Packs.

Hejsan!

As several has said, both defintely are worth getting. If I'd had to choose I would probably go for the iFly too because I think it has more ambience - on the other hand the AVRO is operated quite a lot in Sweden. The problem for me with the magnificent Maddog is that I always fly real flights on VATSIM with the correct equipment and it's hard to find MD82 flights in Europe! At least with the iFly there is no such problem! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------