Sign in to follow this  
Guest BruceU

Carenado Aircraft Sale

Hi John,

Just to be clear - from your other posting it seems as though the instructor blamed your focus on the gauges as a sim thing. That's what I was reacting to, as most early students have been prone to do that since long before PC sims were available. My personal feeling is that the sim CAN be a very effective training tool if properly used. It can also teach bad habits of course, but the focus on the instruments one seems to be there for most people either way.

Good luck, BTW, with your training!

Scott

Just to be clear - from your other posting it seems as though the instructor blamed your focus on the gauges as a sim thing. That's what I was reacting to, as most early students have been prone to do that since long before PC sims were available. My personal feeling is that the sim CAN be a very effective training tool if properly used. It can also teach bad habits of course, but the focus on the instruments one seems to be there for most people either way.

IMO, I think that new pilots (me included) tend to look at the instruments because they are looking for something to figure out in terms of doing it right. The outside looks to *mushy*...there's nothing that *seems* official enough to tell if you're doing it right. In here...in the cockpit....look at all this official looking stuff...woohoo. Instructor says "ahhh...no. Learn 'the picture'. Look out for other planes." The things that I learned to do well because of the sim are...

• Cross wind final and landing
  • Power on stalls (I had a RW airplane that would flip upside-down if you did it wrong....not conducive to learning when you're scared).
  • Navigation. Have learned faaaaar more in the sim.
  • Instrument procedures...approaches...holding...missed approaches, etc. (I never finished my instruments but the instructor was fairly impressed with how well I was doing. I told him I practiced in my sim.)

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

He was an MSFS enthusiast himself, and trusted my sim experience so much (based on our pre-flight discussion) that on my first lesson he let me take off by myself, fly to the practice area by myself, and fly back towards the airport by myself. He only took over on final and handled comms.

This was exactly the way my instructor did it too with me back in 1978. Before MSFS. Might just be the way some instructors teach and has nothing to do with how good you play a game.

My biggest problem is I already have more than enough Carenado GA, fine models all.

But how can you pass up one of these for 10 bucks?

Mmm I don't have a Piper, which one I wonder?

This One!

Absolutely beautiful, and a real pleasure to have in the sim.

Piper2.jpg

Carenado is to be commended for continuing to support the FS9 platform.

This One!

Absolutely beautiful, and a real pleasure to have in the sim.

Carenado is to be commended for continuing to support the FS9 platform.

100 pct. agree! The Archer II is great and a fun aircraft to fly all the way around.

John

Mmmmm - was more than excited to see this sale as I've been kinda shifting back to FS9 recently and missing a few of my fav standbys. Picked up the C337 and the F33 for FS9. I actually meant to go back and spend a bit more money there, but with Christmas and whatnot I kinda forgot.

Someone mentioned that they sees the framerates kinda jumping around - I get great stable framerates (60+) as long as my mouse isn't active / visible over the cockpit. Then my frames jump downwards sort of randomly. I see this behavior in FSX as well. Not all planes I have do this, but some do. Might just be my system.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Someone mentioned that they sees the framerates kinda jumping around - I get great stable framerates (60+) as long as my mouse isn't active / visible over the cockpit. Then my frames jump downwards sort of randomly. I see this behavior in FSX as well. Not all planes I have do this, but some do. Might just be my system.

Maybe it was me. Yesterday Carenado requested me to do some tests with the eyepoint in the Caravan, which were inconclusive (sometimes I could get no FPS reduction). Maybe because of this? Tonight I'll be trying again, so that I can give an answer to Carenado.

I see you also have multiple monitors. Do you run on windowed mode or fullscreen?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I see you also have multiple monitors. Do you run on windowed mode or fullscreen?

Generally windowed mode with FS9 - for whatever reason, and perhaps this is a FS9 'thing', when I bring up the right mouse menu while in full screen mode the screen flashes once to black, very annoying. I also don't have a visible menu bar in full screen while in FS9, while in windowed mode I do. It might sound funny pointing out the obvious, but I was used to having it in FSX!

If I know I'm setup for a longer flight, then I'll alt enter to full screen. I've also been sitting in windowed mode more often in FS9 due to flying some more complex planes, which my inexperience usually requires a manual open on one of the other monitors. :)

However, I have yet to fly in FS9 with the display full screen across all three monitors.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I've also been sitting in windowed mode more often in FS9 due to flying some more complex planes, which my inexperience usually requires a manual open on one of the other monitors. :)

Just like I do: one monitor for FS9, the other one for PDFs (charts, manuals, etc). And yes, I'm also getting this issue with the mouse, no mather if the GNS430 is installed or not (I commented it out and won some FPS). Would other DX9 games present this problem?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Would other DX9 games present this problem?

If they do, I've never seen it. Then again, in most other games, one doesn't watch the fps counter (or even bother having a fps counter) as much. My system might be just comfortable with FS9 and have an uneasy relationship with FSX, but since pretty much all modern games actually utilize a gpu properly, it works better than fine for everything else.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.