Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

Accufeel V2 - anyone got the turbulence working?

People have paid for an upgrade and would expect that upgrade they have paid good money for to work <_< And if it's not working people would like to know why it doesn't work and try to troubleshoot to find out where the problem lies, so others may benefit for getting it fixed.

Maybe you are satisfied with paying for something and it's not working, but I'm not :angry: (It works for me now, but didn't 2 days ago)

That isn't what I said at all.

That isn't what I said at all.

My bad, Im sorry. I really misunderstood what you said :( and got carried away in my frustration with Accu-feel V2.. :sorry:

My bad, Im sorry. I really misunderstood what you said :( and got carried away in my frustration with Accu-feel V2..

No problem: we all want things to work without hassle.

Hi all

I just tested this.

Default aircraft, moderate turbulence in a custom wind layer. The aircraft bounces around, the same with Accufeel on or off. The only thing different with Accufeel ON is that I can here a wind effect (just, it´s very subtle) when the aircraft moves around. That all. I need to turn the engine volume right down to hear this effect. I put in severe turbulence, not much difference between Accu On and Off? Just this slight sound effect. I turned all turbulence sliders and volume up and it makes no difference.

I us Opus but disable the camera effects. I can´t for the life of me work out how to use the camera effect setup!

-Iain Watson-

A2A has announced on their forums that they're working on a patch. For example, the clear air turbulence slider doesn't work right, it causes errors.

Don't fight over it, let's just figure out what works and what doesn't so we can report it if necessary.

I just did a test flight in the mostly default DC-3. Custom weather with 10 knot headwinds. Up to 2500 feet turbulence was set at mild. At 4000 it was set at moderate. At 6000 heavy, and at 8000 severe. No gusts.

I set Accu-Feel at defaults but with cabin integrity turned down to 10 or 20. Took off.

While I experienced the various turbulence levels mostly as expected, both with and without Accu-Feel turned on, at both default levels and high levels, I noticed a few things.

The turbulence wasn't always exactly what I expected to get. Sometimes it was milder, sometimes more severe, but it didn't stay the same continuously for very long no matter what settings and even with AF disabled. Turbulence effects between AF off, on at defaults and on at high levels did make a difference in effect, but the difference was often subtle. Switching between the various options didn't seem to take effect instantly, but maybe over the next minute, and that was even when disabling AF... could be an effect of the changing turbulence in FSX. Sounds, as far as I know, seemed to work as expected, but I was still getting wind noises with AF disabled. So at least part of what I got with AF was being generated by FSX.

If you pause FSX then bring up the Accu-Feel menu, the game is silent. If you bring up the AF menu without pausing, you get the AF-generated wind noises, but the game is actually paused.

Now... AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, the turbulence effects are working as designed, but the effect might be a bit too subtle to notice. Even if you set heavy turbulence in FSX, don't expect a major immediate change between AF with high settings on and AF disabled. There will be some wind noise, especially with cabin integrity set low and volumes set high. I was getting lots of rattling with severe intensity, but not as much as taxiing across grass.

I definitely wasn't getting molleh's shake rattle and roll in the DC-3. But you'll never want to fly with settings that severe... or at least not for long. The DC-3 didn't have enough aileron authority to keep the wings level at severe, and it was difficult enough at heavy. I did a lot of flying with the wheel against the stops on one side or the other. This was with AF disabled, or AF on with high settings, but high settings did make me work harder.

If you see obvious problems, report them on the A2A forums as I posted above. With subtle differences in AF, and continuous changes in the FSX turbulence, it's gonna be hard to determine if AF is working properly or not.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just did a little test and turned off Accu-feel, I still got turbulence but not the same turbulence and the rattling sounds whas gone(weird, because with Opus I haven't had turbulence before installing Accu-feelv2, had to use DHM to get effects from turbulence).

I have to say that the turbulence effects are more than subtle for me I can clearly feel the difference between default turbulence and the new Accu-feel turbulence and I only have the sliders at 50.

So It works just as it should now for me, and all I did whas installing a registered version of FSUIPC, upgraded Opus from version 2.70 to 2.80 and also installed FEX(whas using default clouds before i did that). Maybe one of these things made it work as it should?

A2A has announced on their forums that they're working on a patch. For example, the clear air turbulence slider doesn't work right, it causes errors.

Don't fight over it, let's just figure out what works and what doesn't so we can report it if necessary.

I just did a test flight in the mostly default DC-3. Custom weather with 10 knot headwinds. Up to 2500 feet turbulence was set at mild. At 4000 it was set at moderate. At 6000 heavy, and at 8000 severe. No gusts.

I set Accu-Feel at defaults but with cabin integrity turned down to 10 or 20. Took off.

While I experienced the various turbulence levels mostly as expected, both with and without Accu-Feel turned on, at both default levels and high levels, I noticed a few things.

The turbulence wasn't always exactly what I expected to get. Sometimes it was milder, sometimes more severe, but it didn't stay the same continuously for very long no matter what settings and even with AF disabled. Turbulence effects between AF off, on at defaults and on at high levels did make a difference in effect, but the difference was often subtle. Switching between the various options didn't seem to take effect instantly, but maybe over the next minute, and that was even when disabling AF... could be an effect of the changing turbulence in FSX. Sounds, as far as I know, seemed to work as expected, but I was still getting wind noises with AF disabled. So at least part of what I got with AF was being generated by FSX.

If you pause FSX then bring up the Accu-Feel menu, the game is silent. If you bring up the AF menu without pausing, you get the AF-generated wind noises, but the game is actually paused.

Now... AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, the turbulence effects are working as designed, but the effect might be a bit too subtle to notice. Even if you set heavy turbulence in FSX, don't expect a major immediate change between AF with high settings on and AF disabled. There will be some wind noise, especially with cabin integrity set low and volumes set high. I was getting lots of rattling with severe intensity, but not as much as taxiing across grass.

I definitely wasn't getting molleh's shake rattle and roll in the DC-3. But you'll never want to fly with settings that severe... or at least not for long. The DC-3 didn't have enough aileron authority to keep the wings level at severe, and it was difficult enough at heavy. I did a lot of flying with the wheel against the stops on one side or the other. This was with AF disabled, or AF on with high settings, but high settings did make me work harder.

If you see obvious problems, report them on the A2A forums as I posted above. With subtle differences in AF, and continuous changes in the FSX turbulence, it's gonna be hard to determine if AF is working properly or not.

Hook

Hi Larry, your experience is more or less identical to my own. However, last night I decided to do some more tests. The initial problem that I posted about was with flying the Realair Lancair, where the plane became unflyable. Last night I decided to try the SibWings Bird dog, with this plane I found that things appeared to be more as I would have expected. But there still appears to be some strange anomolies, which you have already mentioned. It also occurred to me that the Realair Lancair has certain coding which initiates some airframe vibration, eg, when starting up or when the gear is operated, maybe this has some bearing on things. At the moment AF appears to be completely inconsistent and because of this it is difficult for me to determine when or if it is working. I will do some more tests today, but as you suggested I'll post on the A2A forum.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm beginning to wonder if the normal turbulence enhancement in AF is less than the normal variation in turbulence from FSX. Also, it looks like their estimate on the amount of turbulence to add may be off for some aircraft. This number is reported to be calculated for each aircraft, and what would be considered normal is the 50% mark. I suspect they'll increase the range of the effect on those sliders.

It looks like there is going to be some major variation in the amount of turbulence you'll get depending on the aircraft you fly. This is the reason I suggest testing with the default C172, as I'm guessing they've optimized the effect for that aircraft, while others may have less optimization.

Yeah, I haven't flown the default 172 myself, but that's going to be my next test.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Guys, when It works you'll notice right away, I have never had turbulence that acted this way in FSX. When I turn AF off and only get the normal FSX turbulence It is just wobbling the plane abit, but this turbulence really "kicks" and I would never go back to default FSX turbulence, hard to explain but when it works you will feel it. And with sliders at 50% I get way more turbulence and different than the default FSX turbulence with all my planes.

I forgot to mention earlier. When I first took off and leveled off at 2000 feet, the mild turbulence there was kicking me around more then the moderate turbulence when I climbed to 4000 feet later. This was with AF set to half. After climbing to 8000 feet for the severe turbulence, I experimented with various AF settings, then turned AF off and descended back to 2000 feet. Then I set AF to high and climbed back to 6000 and heavy turbulence. This time both descending and ascending, mild was lighter than moderate. First time was a fluke?

I'd estimate the turbulence enhancement was maybe 15-20% max, and probably closer to half that. Subtle. That was for this specific aircraft, and with no gusts. Other aircraft are obviously getting a greater enhancement.

That's ok, I didn't notice much difference with V 1.0 on the ground at first. I only really noticed the difference after getting used to it and turning it off.

The turbulence is probably the kind of thing that you have problems seeing in some aircraft in a short test, but if you turn it on and forget it for several hours of flying, you'll definitely see a difference if you turn it off.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I ran another test this morning:-

(no add-on weather)

set up default flight with a cessna 172

click on 'weather'

click on 'user defined weather' button

click 'customize'

click 'advanced weather'

click on 'wind tab'

set wind layer say 0-10,000 ft

set wind speed 24 knts

set gust 24knots

set wind direction -'runway heading'

click on ' turbulace' set severe.

after take of got slight turbulent with slight rattles and shudders to very severe and uncontrollable after ten mins. had to switch back to 'light setting to continue flight.

global setting in accufeel v2 was 95%.

using FS realWX lite i had to click on each cloud and wind lay to increase turbulance, with opencloud these settings were grayed out.

bob

I have noticed that the turbulence effects are VERY subtle on some aircraft, just like LHookins said. For example, I tested it with the NGX (which I have just recently purchased and haven't had a chance to learn yet, lol) and with the sliders cranked in Accu-feel I honestly couldn't tell a different between Accu-feel on/off, aside from the great sounds it adds. It *is* working, it's just too subtle to be noticeable. I think Accu-feel tries to automatically detect how "heavy" an aircraft is and reduces the effects the heavier they are, but they decrease too much for the heavies (this might actually be realistic, but nevertheless the sliders should give us more to work with.)

I'm sure A2A will have it fixed up in no time, they are a great group of people.