Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FAA grounding 787 fleet

As much as I am against any form of Federal regulation in the US, I have to agree with the FAA in this particular case: the 787 is not airworthy at this point in time. a battery fire in the middle of the Pacific will lead to a VERY bad day...

Latest reports are saying the focus is shifting from the Batteries to the system that monitors the batteries. I said in an earlier post that I thought it was a software issue and not the batteries itself. Interesting where this is leading

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/28/japan-boeing-dreamliner-probe.html

Matthew Kane

I said in an earlier post that I thought it was a software issue

Always run the 787 software as administrator, Matthew. Told ya! :angry: :P

:LMAO:

Matthew Kane

It's probably that. Shame really. I had two (real life) flights on one of LOTs 2 787s over the Xmas period and I must say the FPS were outstanding.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Having followed from the beginning the 787 concept and design changes, development and redevelopment, false starts and reversals, I must say that it has been quite a roller coaster ride. I can only imagine the consternation being felt by those responsible for the decisions that led to these events.

It is incredible that something so fundamental as the base electrical design is so flawed that two potentially catastrophic events in a two week period has led to the decertification and grounding worldwide of the entire 787 fleet. This is the first time in decades that such a regulatory action has been taken, and the first of its kind for a major airliner launch.

As of this date it does not look like there will be known reasons and remedies anytime soon. What this means for the Boeing Corporation and its manufacturing and design partners is yet to be determined, but none of it is good. It's just a question of how bad can it get.

As far as the public is concerned, as the DC-10 stigma proved, the dreamliner may become a nightmare in their minds. On the other hand it seems that all concerned are most fortunate and lucky that there was not a loss of plane, passengers and crew over the pacific somewhere.

There was just a small fire confined mostly within a box, with only a bit of smoke and a picture of melted electrical components to see. It is kind of hard for even the television media to work up the masses with these kind of dull optics. Public attention and memory is short, so maybe this will not influence meaningful market opinion on a grand scale. We shall see.

In any case, it is a sad saga within the aviation industry to this point, given the tremendous shortfall between hopeful expectations and disappointing fulfillment. I have little (but some) doubt that this particular problem will be solved in time to redeem the model before a crippling major blowback from airlines and underwriters is triggered. I imagine some of the more nervous gunslingers are already taking aim.

Every day that goes by that the 787 does not fly with the absence of positive progress being made, the cost goes ever steeper. However, like they say in Jamaica when things fall far behind, "Never mind mon, soon come." Hope so!

Kind regards,

Every day that goes by that the 787 does not fly with the absence of positive progress being made, the cost goes ever steeper. However, like they say in Jamaica when things fall far behind, "Never mind mon, soon come." Hope so!

Kind regards,

Let's hope the 787 problem gets fixed soon and turns into the 737 success story. Boeing is now building 38 737's per month. Truly amazing and they hope for 42 aircraft per month by 2014.

RJ

Stephen names it. Such a thin line between a tremendous success and a (media defined) disaster. I'll take the silence from the investigators as a good sign, they are deeply involved in digging right to the point where the aha moment lies. Obviously not an easy to catch issue or a simple task.

and I must say the FPS were outstanding.

:lol:

Glad I've clicked the link, RJ. I thought it was the repeated story from 2006 again. But it's not, so that's good information. :smile:

Well, it's still puzzling. The replacement didn't happen because something was burning or close to, but because it wasn't working anymore. Still odd of course and those batteries won't be cheap. Now, at least one of the later 'burning' batteries was working just fine when it comes to the status of being properly charged.

Boeing has idea to fix 787 battery problem. This can't be for real? Watch the video. :lol:

RJ

It is one o the possibilities but most likely will not be used.

Looks like the FAA allowed Boeing to ferry one 787 back from Texas to Everett. Boeing Flight BOE382.

Wonder which lucky pilot volunteered to fly her? Hope they get these planes back in the air soon.

Nice to see the 787 on flightaware again. :rolleyes:

RJ