Sign in to follow this  

FAA grounding 787 fleet

If you look closely at the pic's of the batteries, it is simple to see the problem...I can not believe you all missed it. All they need is to paint a little energizer bunny on each battery and it will go and go and go....... :p0502:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

One of the few cases where WD40 doesn't help. :Black Eye:

One of the few cases where WD40 doesn't help. :Black Eye:

Or Duct Tape :ph34r:

Matthew Kane

Or Duct Tape :ph34r:

How do you know? Have they actually tried this? Until the FAA reports the attempted repair with duct tape, wd40 and a multi-purpose impact device (aka hammer) - i would still expect this fix to be sucessful.

Duct tape will also help for the delaminating composite in flight problem that 787s reportedly have experienced.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I've intercepted a secret email from the FAA. They can only be minutes away from fixing it.

duct.jpg

It might be old tech....but its good tech.

Tell that to the person who has to pay for the fuel (i.e. you, every time you buy a ticket). Also the accident rates don't agree with you: http://www.boeing.com/news/techissues/pdf/statsum.pdf (page 19), though to be fair that may also have something to do with how and where the older planes are operated.

All this still doesnt explain why this wouldnt show up in the many many test flights they did. If there was a fault, or an overload , overcharge, all these things being monitored during test flights, it wouldve, shoudlve shown up.

The flight test programme involved 6 aircraft, flying a total of 4,828 hours [per wikipedia]. There are now something like 50 planes in service, which combined have flown 50,000 hours. In addition building a prototype is not the same as building at full production rate. So, no, it's not a given every last problem should have shown up in testing.

I've intercepted a secret email from the FAA. They can only be minutes away from fixing it.

duct.jpg

:LMAO: No Kidding!!

The flight test programme involved 6 aircraft, flying a total of 4,828 hours [per wikipedia]. There are now something like 50 planes in service, which combined have flown 50,000 hours. In addition building a prototype is not the same as building at full production rate. So, no, it's not a given every last problem should have shown up in testing.

I agree for the most part, but were talking about the battery and electrical system here. A major part of the aircraft and not just to one aircraft. This is a problem across multiple aircraft. In all their test flights, this sort of problem should have shown up. Unless they made some changes to the battery system at the end of all those test flights but figured they didnt need to test that in the air across multiple flights.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

:LMAO: No Kidding!!

I agree for the most part, but were talking about the battery and electrical system here. A major part of the aircraft and not just to one aircraft. This is a problem across multiple aircraft. In all their test flights, this sort of problem should have shown up. Unless they made some changes to the battery system at the end of all those test flights but figured they didnt need to test that in the air across multiple flights.

When people have several months to build a system they don't make the same mistakes they do when they have to build 3.5 a month or whatever the current Dreamliner production rate is. A lot of the stuff for the prototypes probably wasn't even built using the same equipment they use for the line production. Additionally, let's say there's some kind of error in the battery system that only comes up once every 10,000 hours. That means there's a 50% chance it wouldn't have shown up during any of the test flights, but it will on average have occurred 5 times by now during operational usage (given the 50,000 flight hour figure cited in my previous post).

A lot of the stuff for the prototypes probably wasn't even built using the same equipment they use for the line production.

Not sure if that makes sense. I dont know anything about production lines and manufacturing, but using different equipment and maybe different manufactures seems to negate the whole flight testing process. If your testing an aircraft that is different in some ways as to production equipment and parts, then what is the point of flight testing. All the data is then unreliable or inconsistent.

Anyhow, seems that it is not an overcharging problem, and that there was a sudden big drop in V, so that may indicate other issues like a voltage protection circuit kicking in prematurely perhaps at the same time demand being very high. Hopefully a software issue as that can be fixed more easily than a redesign.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Not sure if that makes sense. I dont know anything about production lines and manufacturing, but using different equipment and maybe different manufactures seems to negate the whole flight testing process. If your testing an aircraft that is different in some ways as to production equipment and parts, then what is the point of flight testing. All the data is then unreliable or inconsistent.

I recently visited Sonaca (a Belgian component manufacturer) and they said they preferred to make prototypes on more generic equipment and only to invest in up-scaling the production when the plane actually enters production, that way you can postpone your investment for a year or two, in which time your expensive machines wouldn't be doing much due to the low rate of production. Maybe I'm biased by being a structures guy, but for the structures at at-least flight testing is about checking whether the loads your were predicting for your structure are actually correct, not about whether your structural components are working.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like 'if you've read one, you've read them all'. No offence to you guys posting and showing interest. But I think the press is in the same black hole as the investigators. Referring to the NTSB press briefing where my tenor would be 'please wait, we're on it.'

As for the press, the same old pictures, the same summaries and the same stuff from back in the years when the 787 was a plane on the drawing board. Seems like they have to report something, if you know what I mean.

Well, lets hope there's more on the root causes soon. :unsure: Me wants to see her flying. Such cool wings!

Kudos to everyone for contributing, a lot of those articles I had not found because I don't normally read those sources.

Very interesting, specially seeing the NTSB is officially stating the grounding could go on for longer than expected.

For what I understand, one incident occurred to the battery in the APU compartment, the other in the forward compartment.

One led to a fire, the other did not.

One was "possibly" overcharged at some point, the other definitely not.

Boeing states their safeguards for this type of event kicked in and prevented anything serious, the NTSB says they did nothing.

Boy!