Sign in to follow this  
rellifeflyer

How Realistic are You?

SInce when did a 737 trip to Malaga take 16 hours (which is the example in my post)?

And my post was regarding realism, as per the name of the topic, not the duration of the flights I make, which I believe is the title of another topic currently on the forum.....And who exactly is Kyle? perhaps we had better stop here, as this is getting weirder by the minute.. :lol:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

To be honest, personally I don't see the sense in doing 10+ hrs flights in the sim, cruising for ages.

As long as the AP is on you're only managing and observing the systems - a well trained monkey could do your job LOL

At the point where the AP goes off that's where you become a pilot again and that's where you need to fly the aircraft, adapt to various situations and scenarios based on your experience.

Pushing buttons and looking at them for hours makes you no different than those guys at nuclear plants...

And my post was regarding realism, as per the name of the topic, not the duration of the flights I make, which I believe is the title of another topic currently on the forum.....And who exactly is Kyle? perhaps we had better stop here, as this is getting weirder by the minute.. :lol:

The topic was all about long haul flights and how realistic people want to be on long haul flights. No-one mentioned Malaga or Kyle (whatever that means) except you. Oh well - guess I'm out of here for another 6 months (it seems there's no "banging my head against a brick wall" emoticon here - shame)

Paul Hand

I cant remember where I got this from, maybe an email, but here are some things to do to make your flights more realistic. :lol:

• Show up one hour prior to take-off for a :30 minute flight.

• Empty all your pockets of metal as you go through the door to your PC. For extra credit, have your teenage offspring search your flightcase, shoes, wallet.

• Take the one-page flightplan you generated for your flight, get all 8.5 x 11 inch papers from your waste-basket, mix them up and spend ten minutes looking for the critical page, then spill coffee on it.

• Put seatbelt/shoulder harness on your office chair. For that extra GOOD MORNING feeling sit on the buckle.

• If you’re flying out of Grand Forks, ND in January, turn your house air conditioning full till it is about 10 degrees F. Then, when (if) you get the APU running turn the heat on.

• Once you get ready to fly, get up, go outside and do a complete walk-around of your house, rain, snow or shine, in a $300 suit.

• Wear a white shirt with a fresh coffee stain. A tie is a must (no clip-on)

• Eat a half-cooked TV dinner while flying.

• Try explaining the concept of “sterile cockpit” to your SO (significant other).

• If your pet comes to visit, explain the instruments to it. Ask it if it likes ‘Gladiator’ Movies

• Never accelerate the sim clock no matter how boring the ocean or Nebraska is.

• When flying at night, turn off the lights. If flying into a dawn or sunset, shine a 120 watt bulb into your face.

• If your SO complains, do informational picketing, then “walk” if that doesn’t work.

• If you fly with a co-pilot, determine who’s senior and dump the radios, walk-around and second meal choice on the junior crewmember.

• If your co-pilot leaves the flightdeck and you’re above FL350, place a mask over your nose/mouth till they return.

• If your flying a new Boeing, throw a blanket with fuzzy surface on your chair. This should leave lint on your clothes like real Boeing flight deck seatcovers do.

• If you fly a “Glass cockpit” a/c, type at least 40 wpm. (old steam gauge pilot’s joke).

• Find the lumpiest bed in your house, pretend it is a hotel and sleep for EXACTLY 8 hours before the alarm.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I cant remember where I got this from, maybe an email, but here are some things to do to make your flights more realistic. :lol:

LOL, very good, I shall have to try these sometime!

Hi,

To me realism means doing flights as close to reality as the sim allows it to be done. So I fly real time with real weather (using active sky 2012) on IVAO on real schedules with flight plans as accurate as I can draw. Off course, the cruising part of the flight is not the most interesting thing, but when you want to reproduce a real flight you have to take it anyway. I fly also for two VAs, so when the T7 is out, I will start with Air France flights whatever the duration is.

Flying with realistic addons in these conditions is part of the child's dream of being real pilot. I don't mean that I would like to be pilot now but it was one of my child's dreams and I chose the other dream on purpose for my occupation.

I know some just want to start flight sim and fly, but I like all the aspects of the flight from the preparation of the flight plan to the shut down, including the long cruise periods (I had never read so much books or watch so much movies before starting the long haul flights... :P ).

Never mind if I spend 3h to prepare a decent flight plans with fuel calculation and step climb, or if I spend 10h on cruise... The satisfaction of having completed such a flight is priceless.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

• If your pet comes to visit, explain the instruments to it. Ask it if it has ever seen a grown man naked

Fixed it for you lol

Actually - as Kyle said - this is not at all realistic, a 16 hour flight would have 4 pilots to allow adequate rest. It's actually more realistic that the PF would do take-off and landing whilst getting a good rest during the "boring bit". Maybe BAV should be updating Phoenix to allow FS2C to update the flight logger during cruise?! B)

Agreed, it isn't about realism. The hourly position report is about ensuring people are monitoring their flight, rather than just leaving it alone till TOD. You can't say you've really earned those hours if you were away from the sim, or maybe asleep, for the whole cruise. With 10 hour plus flights it would be all to easy to start a flight late evening, go to bed once in cruise, then finish the flight after a full 8 hour sleep.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Interesting point, what is the official BA RW view on that? What does the captain get in terms of logged hours for a 14 hour flight even when he has rest periods during it? Genuine question - I don't know the answer....

Cheers

Paul

Paul Hand

Interesting point, what is the official BA RW view on that? What does the captain get in terms of logged hours for a 14 hour flight even when he has rest periods during it? Genuine question - I don't know the answer....

Cheers

Paul

You'll have to find a real world BA pilot to answer that. But I doubt BA are any different to other airlines over logging hours. The BAV posrep system is not replicating real world operation. It's a BAV operational policy.

ki9cAAb.jpg

When i fly Long Haul, I fly the most time in the cockpit shell which i build me. At my last flight from EDDV OMDB Hannover to Dubai i sit 5 hours without leaving in my cockpit. But sometimes i do any little task like help my parents in house or make dinner. When my uncle is hear, i go outside to Exterior Inspection with his dog. :lol:

I'm about as realistic as it gets. I always start my aircraft from a Cold and Dark Panel State. I build all my flight plans from scratch. I follow as much of the real world procedures as possible. Currently have 8,962 Flight Hours on the VATSIM Network. 85 percent of the time I am in the cockpit. I love doing long hauls most. 12-14 hours and my longest was 18.5 hrs.

I'm about as realistic as it gets. I always start my aircraft from a Cold and Dark Panel State.

Unless you are flying regional jets (due to GPU cold weather issues at ORD its not uncommon to go cold and dark during long turns) you will rarely find cold and dark planes as a pilot unless its the first flight of the day but many times the planes remain powered through the night, and if its bitterly cold AA is known to leave APU's running through the night once in awhile.

EDIT: My prediction was correct—Alex beat me to saying it!

I'm about as realistic as it gets. I always start my aircraft from a Cold and Dark Panel State.

Sooner or later, someone will probably mention that always starting from a cold-and-dark cockpit state is not always realistic, unless all of your flights originate after the aircraft has been parked at the gate overnight.

I love doing long hauls most. 12-14 hours and my longest was 18.5 hrs.

What aircraft do you currently use for long-haul flights?

Unless you are flying regional jets (due to GPU issues at ORD its not uncommon to go cold and dark during long turns) you will rarely find cold and dark planes as a pilot unless its the first flight of the day but many times the planes remain powered through the night, and if its bitterly cold AA is known to leave APU's running through the night once in awhile.

What I meant to say was I like to setup the aircraft and go through the checklists rather than starting at the gate with the engines running. And although you rarely find a cold and dark plane in the real world we don't have anyone to setup our aircraft for us. Better to go through the check lists and do it all from scratch that way you know your aircraft is setup correctly. I have a couple buddies that are lazy and always start at the gate with the engines running. Sometimes they forget to set something up correctly and find out mid-flight they are screwed! :>)

What aircraft do you currently use for long-haul flights?

PMDG 747-400 and MD-11