Sign in to follow this  
skiboj

Xplane 10 on Five 60" TV's

Give me Xplane's rendering engine with FSX's terrain accuracy and that's all I need out of a flight sim.

What do you mean by "terrain accuracy"? X-Plane's high resolution terrain mesh blows FSX out of the water. Now if you're talking about land class data, well, neither sim is perfect in that regard, which is understandable since they're only trying to model the entire earth!

agreed, thats one reason i like x-plane 10 better. The terrain texture/mesh are amazingly detailed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

WOW!. Firstly if I had that in my basement then I wouldn't get out much and secondly my wife would divorce me.

Seriously, with the amount of money that would cost, I'd just go out and get myself a real plane :-)

I've wondered about using a LED TV vs large screen display monitor. Could we get the specs on the displays? I see they are 60 inch but what about:

Resolution

Pixel pitch

Contrast ratio

Are they set at 60hz or the higher 120 / 240

Which connection DVI, HDMI

Scott uses Samsung LEDs. Connected via DVI to HDMI. I don't have his model number, he did pop into Best Buy to get them.

I use Panasonic plasma's, P60U50 model, as I like the black levels better on plasma's. that model is the 2012 so out of stock most places, however they were $810 each delivered. Fry's recently had them at $699 though.

Seriously, with the amount of money that would cost, I'd just go out and get myself a real plane :-)

Good luck buying your own 737. :lol:

But more seriously, a real plane comes with associated ongoing costs, so a home built simulator, even an expensive one, will be cheaper in the long run.

WOW!. Firstly if I had that in my basement then I wouldn't get out much and secondly my wife would divorce me.

I have access to a mooney or Cardinal for $95 hr wet, owning at this point, flying 100 Or so hours a year would be crazy. Paying hangar lease, annual, insurance, engine reserves and fuel just doesn't add up to owning at this point.

When I have a need to fly twice that, or need unrestricted access to the plane then I'll consider buying.

Actually, that's what friends are for! Find one that owns an aircraft and needs the right seat filled.

Works for boats too.

What do you mean by "terrain accuracy"? X-Plane's high resolution terrain mesh blows FSX out of the water. Now if you're talking about land class data, well, neither sim is perfect in that regard, which is understandable since they're only trying to model the entire earth!

misread comment . sorry!

Wow...that's brilliant...I guess I should be looking out for a TV then eh...even one would be great, I have tried XP10 on a 52" and it did look rather brilliant, but without a good cockpit setup, projecting panel on it would suck...Luv the setup here though.

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

I can't get over 1080p resolution at that close of a range though, it would ruin the immersion for me. I'll wait for 4k or 8k sets to drop down to affordable prices before doing something like this myself.

I can't get over 1080p resolution at that close of a range though, it would ruin the immersion for me. I'll wait for 4k or 8k sets to drop down to affordable prices before doing something like this myself.

Yea, and what type of PC are you going to build to run 4K or even 8K resolutions? Then build 5 of those PCs... :rolleyes: The guy has an awesome system and not pointing you out, but why do people always feel the need to point out what they think are the weaknesses or the cons of building such a setup. If the guy has the willingness to invest s much in his hobby, more power to him! I wish I could do the same setup but frankly I can't because I couldn't afford it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna start knitpicking or dissecting it apart just to try and justify in my head why I am not building it. It's seems like it's always the same trend. Someone posts something and instead of just praising the guy for his hard work put into the system, we always try to knitpick it.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Yea, and what type of PC are you going to build to run 4K or even 8K resolutions? Then build 5 of those PCs... :rolleyes:

It's not like you couldn't do it today, but I'm not talking about doing it today anyway due to the cost.