Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

She's out!

Have you had to reject a takeoff in the 330? My friend sounds like he's had a tough time in the 330. They've had a RTO one flight and a complete flameout a few weeks ago just as they reached cruise. He's been there for about a year in a half.

I've had my fair share of low speed RTOs, highest speed in real life was in a 737 about V1 -5 knots when we hit birds. I tell you what, the end or the runway sure comes up scarily fast.

Highest speed RTO in an Airbus was in an A330 at about 95 knots which is still considered low speed, 100 being the cut-off point (or 80 knots if at a high weight).

Our engines are pretty reliable, but we're ETOPS-180 certified, so they have to be.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I've had my fair share of low speed RTOs, highest speed in real life was in a 737 about V1 -5 knots when we hit birds. I tell you what, the end or the runway sure comes up scarily fast.

Highest speed RTO in an Airbus was in an A330 at about 95 knots which is still considered low speed, 100 being the cut-off point (or 80 knots if at a high weight).

Our engines are pretty reliable, but we're ETOPS-180 certified, so they have to be.

Regards,

Ró.

Yeah, the A330 is a nice aircraft! I was reading the A350 is going to be going for even longer ETOPS ratings to connect some city pairs like the 787.

Yes, from what I hear the A350 will be 350 minute ETOPS rated, and the 787 just behind it at 330 minutes. Though that just seems excessive to me...  :rolleyes:  B)

That's 11 hours and 40 mins like for the A350, that's longer than any-route we even do now, never mind just the ETOPS segment...  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :wacko:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I'm pretty sure there will indeed be a live feed.

Hi Ró

Do you have a link to the live feed or know where it will be hosted? I'd really love to watch it and I think I can make it home just in time for the off!

Awesome, going to wake up in time to see the first flight of this beautiful bird. :) 

Thanks for the link, Ró!

7am UTC, that would be 9am in Central Europe, right?

7UTC, 8am Irish Summer Time, so that's 9am for most of Europe...

Thanks again, Sir!

Too bad I got to be in a lecture at that time :(, but I guess there'll be some videos out afterwards, so at least I can watch it later tomorrow.

Thanks again, Sir!

Too bad I got to be in a lecture at that time :(, but I guess there'll be some videos out afterwards, so at least I can watch it later tomorrow.

I feel your pain, I also have a lecture to attend (well, an MSc thesis defence, but it's roughly the same). What kind of aerospace engineer schedules his defence during such an historic moment I ask you? :s

Thanks Ró for posting the link.

Is it the new Airbus glider? It isn't going anywhere without engines. Maybe the 787 can pull it, then quickly release it before the batteries explode. ; b

Is it the new Airbus glider? It isn't going anywhere without engines. Maybe the 787 can pull it, then quickly release it before the batteries explode. ; b

Maybe you should have a read of page 2-5 of the thread as well rather than just posting a reply straight after reading the first post ;)

Maybe you should have a read of page 2-5 of the thread as well rather than just posting a reply straight after reading the first post ;)

Lighten up, Francis.  I'm very well aware the thread is about the A350 and her soon-to-be maiden flight.  I also am aware the pic posted by Ronan on the top of page 1 is the said 'bus fresh out of the factory, before engines were attached. I am further aware that some brought up the 787 to create some playful verbal sparring over whose brand was better. My post, made in jest, was to simply to have a little fun with both sides. B)

It's a lovely machine, I might even be tempted out of my 777 shell for this one when we get it. Depending on the routes.

Mind you, the idea of ETOPS 350, irrespective of the engine manufacture and the reliability, still gives me collywobbles!!!!!

I do miss the table (not so much the 1980's Atari joystick though!).