Sign in to follow this  
flyerguy7773

Best App for Charts/Moving Map/Proceedures/RW Flying/FSX (Also to help with flying the proceedures when flying the PMDG 737)

I'm using Simplates X for Android on my Galaxy S3. It features pretty much all charts with SIDs, STARs, approach plates, airport diagrams, from airport of all over the world.

For moving maps you can use Aivlasoft EFB. I downloaded the demo but I never liked it. 

I used to support Navigraph, but I stopped doing so since they doubled their prices and completely changed their payment system from credits to direct payment.

I wanted to use Navigraph for providing "Airtrack App" with an updated FMC database.

Turned out that Navigraphs new payment system only allows for a lease of the database for two months. Thereafter the database is erased and you have to buy it again!

I cant support that either so I am not using Navigraph anymore either.

As for charts, I now use charts in PDF format on my Ipad.

Most addon airports have all Sid/Stars/appeoaches included in PDF format.

For other airports I am sure you could find some PDF as well.

The App Goodreader is a greath PDF reader that also lets you rename files/create folders/move files/highlight things in you PDF files etc.

Rob Robson

For me FSKneeboard is perfect and I like it better and better all the time! The dropbox connections adds so much flexbility to the app. I use it to load TOPCAT reports, flightcards that I created in Vroute or FSBUILD and charts for countries outside the US. I also downloaded all the enroute charts from aircharts.org and then load them to different tabs on the "Alternate". That way I can follow my fllight the whole way on these enroute charts. I always check the weather for airports all over the world from the weather function. On the notepad you can also load templates to use when receiving ATC instructions or as a speedcard.

Flying IRL I use Air Navigation Pro which is perfect for me and rather limited needs.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Cool! I am still learning fskneeboard but I love the Dropbox feature of it. Il have to check out that website. <br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

I use ForeFlight coupled with a small $5 file called FSXFlight. FSXFlight sends GPS signals over your WiFi to your iPad/ForeFlight. Since I use ForeFlight in real world aviation, I subscribe to the charts and have them up-to-date. This set up shows you on all the charts, both IFR and VFR. The best thing about this set up is that it allows me to maintain proficiency using the program, which carries over into my real world flying.

Simplates looks great and a lot more charts then navigraph for the price!

One last question, anybody know a good flight logging app?

Keep in mind if you're just starting your flight training your instructor will need to sign your log book, and that log book will need to be presented to your local FSDO for your check ride.

I would probably stick with the paper solution until you're certified.

-Ray

As far as real world apps are concerned I would need to know more about your device?

I have Apple Ipod (3rd gen), Windows slate with Windows 8, and I have Android device.

I started with the Ipod and Foreflight, Foreflight is a great app(and the best that I have seen and used). Apple however, limits what Bluetooth GPS's you can connect to. The on board A-GPS is not sufficient in flight, especially a mental airplane. The one vendor that Apple allows GPS Bluetooth is good, but very expensive. I have the Dual GPS300 for the Ipod.

Then I moved onto Windows 7/8 and installed Flight Prep and Seattle Avionics Voyager. Both apps are good, but Voyager is better, if your hardware can keep up. This solution worked for awhile I have an external waas GPS device that Windows 8 can see and use, and has great battery life, 10 hours. However, my hardware manufacture, HP does not make a car charger for the tablet. So, battery life is gone within 2-3 hours. Plus, the screen is not bright enough in daylight.

Then I moved onto the Android device. As they say three times a charm. The size is perfect 7", weight is perfect. USB device allows car charger to connect and charge device. Same waas GPS device can connect via Bluetooth. Now just need the software. I evaluated all three moving maps for the Android device (real world) Navitor, AviationMaps and Garmin Pilot. I went with Garmin Pilot. It's not perfect, but it's getting closer.

With any software you use for real world not only is weather important but you'll need to know airmet/sigment and notams. make sure your solution provides these to you in a easy to read format.

Hope this helps,

Ray

p.s. BTW solutions 2 and 3 allow me to use these devices while flying FSX...so I get to practice with my software/device before I go flying. I would recommend any solution you practice before you go real world flying. I mean really practice...if you have a kneeboard put the device on your knee and make sure you can use it and it stays put while flying. Move you leg to simulate turbulence and make sure your device stays put.

During my solo cross country my Ipod slide off my kneeboard and fell off my leg and under my seat, just before take off. I felt really dumb and for a minute couldn't figure out what to do. Cannot see behind, so I just shut the plane down got out and found it. Glad nobody was behind me.

Thanks for all this info. I have an iPad 3, and I getting the iPad mini too. A family friend owns a plane and I go up with him alot - he has foreflight and loves it. I also have been looking at the AOPA FlyQ apps which are similar to foreflight. Does anybody have those?<br /><br />In terms of a logbook I agree with the fact that I should stick to paper for now.<br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

No problem...

Since I have a subscription to Seattle Avionics I get the Ipod version of it which is called FreeFlight...a.k.a AOPA FlyQ

Unless they did something different FreeFlight only give me flight planning tools. It does not provide a moving map or IP (instrument procedures).

Correct me if I'm wrong...if so I'll renew my AOPA membership today :-)

-Ray

p.s. I would opt for the mini much smaller and easier to place on a kneeboard or mount.

Since you have Apple I would go with Foreflight and AOPA FlyQ if you have a current subscription. I was also told that Foreflight works with x-plane, but since I do not have x-plane I cannot confirm this. At the time it did not work with FSX and that was one of my deciding factors. I needed something I could practice with daily.

Having both allow you to flight plan (AOPA FlyQ e.g. KBWI to KJFK; using low altitude airways), then put the plan in Foreflight to get an overview of the route, radar, clouds, airmet/sigmets, notams, time en-route, and fuel needed. Then file and go flying :-) Doesn't get any better then this!!

I am pretty sure AOPA flyQ has Moving map and the artificial horizon like the G1000 with the terrain though I might be wrong as I dont use it because I dont have a subscription to the maps and data. 

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

Do you have the regular iPad or iPad Mini?

I have the iPad 3 - it's the first Retina one I believe. I bought it originally for real world flying - turns out it's great for both. If the Mini had a Retina display I'd say get it, the clarity the retina brings to the table is second to none. 

I have the iPad 3 - it's the first Retina one I believe. I bought it originally for real world flying - turns out it's great for both. If the Mini had a Retina display I'd say get it, the clarity the retina brings to the table is second to none. 

I see. I might get the Mini 2 if it will come with a Retina display. I think $330 for an iPad is a great deal.

Same like Luke here: Ipad 3, Dropbox, Navigraph charts, checklists, QRF, etc, live is beautiful...

If you ask me, go for the size: Ipad 3. You'll see better ;)

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931