Sign in to follow this  
crimtye

JustFlight L1011 TriStar Released

"somewhere between CLS and Qualitywings I would say."

+1, and closer to the CLS end of the spectrum.  Not worth anything near the asking price.   

Hans Soule

How good and accurate is thing?

As a comparison standard, I would like to set the Simcheck Airbus A300 B4-200, as it is an excellent and accurate simulation.

Had you read the earlier posts in this thread, you would know.

Although not officially announced or confirmed yet, myself and another colleague who have been working on the (fully functional) Canberra PR9 are hoping to begin work on an 'advanced upgrade' for the TriStar soon - similar in concept to the 'Extended' expansion for Airbus X.

Like I say, not confirmed yet but a potential exclusive for AVSIM :P

• Upvote 1

Martyn - Just Flight

As a comparison standard, I would like to set the Simcheck Airbus A300 B4-200, as it is an excellent and accurate simulation.

Hah. While others have commented on where exactly JF TriStar lies on the accuracy continuum (and can we stop equating accuracy or depth of simulation with good quality? QW's work on 757, with its simplified systems, is of great quality), here's one thing that JF TriStar has that SimCheck A-bus doesn't: a more in-depth INS implementation.  SimCheck's version of INS doesn't implement drift or DME updating. As pointed out in some reviews, TriStar, while a 'lite' systems simulation, has a pretty decent INS implementation and can serve as a great INS procedural trainer.  One of the reasons I bought it.

Although not officially announced or confirmed yet, myself and another colleague who have been working on the (fully functional) Canberra PR9 are hoping to begin work on an 'advanced upgrade' for the TriStar soon - similar in concept to the 'Extended' expansion for Airbus X.

Like I say, not confirmed yet but a potential exclusive for AVSIM

Yay! Looking forward to it! I like the plane very much even as a 'lite' simulation but would love more depth in the systems implementation.  We now do have some choice with regards to medium- and high-level first generation narrow bodies (CS 707, JF DC-8), but there are only 3 first-generation widebodies on the market: CLS DC-10 and B742, and JF L-1011.  They're all lite sims (even with the realistic INS in TriStar) and the first 2 are a bit dated (any news on the CLS 742 1.5 upgrade?  Unfortunately it doesn't involve an update to the bit dated cockpit graphics...). So to have at least one with more in-depth systems and more up to date with regards to modeling (as JF TriStar is) would be great.

Indeed, the pro details sound interesting. The only complain I would have when looking at the screenshots is that 'flat' INS/FMC area in the VC.

Looking forward to a review of the pro though. :smile:

Indeed, the pro details sound interesting. The only complain I would have when looking at the screenshots is that 'flat' INS/FMC area in the VC.

The INS is modelled in 3D but the new FMC does not currently have 3D buttons. The viewing angle/distance from the unit doesn't make it particularly obvious, however we will look at including 3D buttons in an update.

Martyn - Just Flight

Martyn - Just Flight

I wish the tweaked and tuned autopilot ./. FDE interaction would have been released as a free servicepack for the old version.

The upgrade offer (less than half of the undiscounted price for owners of the previous version) is appreciated, though.

CS Tristar cheaper and better(?). At least you don't have to pay for livery packs with the CS version. Also, I think it might get the 24 hour "everything for 9.99€£$" treatment sometime this month. maybe someone has both and can give a fair comparison of the two?

Thanks for your answer, Martyn.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of the new pro version and the CS. Especially on the systems aspect.

Indeed, the pro details sound interesting. The only complain I would have when looking at the screenshots is that 'flat' INS/FMC:

Thats exactly what I thoght looking at the pics. Honestly I wont bother until 3D buttons and frame. I never use 2D panels anymore, if I input data in FMS I use EZDOK or OPUS view systems. (Given all major systems are good in this plane, of course).

I though the same when I saw that screen shot of the FMS.

I'd be interested in a comprehensive review between the pro model and the CS version. Although I don't think the CS version has an FMC version which is what I would be interested in.

Also didn't know the JF version you had to pay for repaints. Is there no user uploaded paints for the JF version we can download?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I though the same when I saw that screen shot of the FMS.

I'd be interested in a comprehensive review between the pro model and the CS version. Although I don't think the CS version has an FMC version which is what I would be interested in.

Also didn't know the JF version you had to pay for repaints. Is there no user uploaded paints for the JF version we can download?

Hi Jim,

I believe there are several user repaints for the Tristar. You can use any repaints created for our original Tristar (L-1011 Tristar Jetliner) on the new Professional version.

L-1011 Tristar Professional includes 25 liveries (more than the CS base pack, I think?) and you can purchase a bundle pack containing over 30 additional liveries for £9.99 (or £6.49 if you purchase the main product and then use your reward points against the bundle pack). I reckon that's pretty good value for money?

I think ours is the only Tristar -500 on the market, the only Tristar fitted with an FMC and the only product to include the RAF K1/KC1 variants. I'm sure the CS version excels in other areas though, it looks like a great product.

With regards to the FMC, as stated above we will likely update the product to include 3D buttons but until then the FMC is fully functioning in the VC.

Thanks

Martyn - Tristar dev

Martyn - Just Flight