Sign in to follow this  
FlyMan86

Computer has run out of memory

Hello fine people of this community!!!

Recently I have started to get this "Your computer has run out of available memory, please adjust FSX settings" or something like that. Now, I don't know if it has something to do that I had installed Adobe Photoshop or what. I was wanting to learn to paint aircraft and figured my current PC can handle it. I guess I was wrong. So, after I un-installed it, I started to get out of memory messages after flying for 2 or more hours. I rarely do long hauls. My graphics would start messing up and I would start hearing a warning sound in the background knowing I would get a OOM soon. Example: I was flying Friday night from KSEA-MMPR and about an hour before landing graphics were messing up. 

Here are my computer specs: 

Installed Memory: 8.00GB (7.17GB Usable)

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.40-3.70GHz

System Type: 64 Bit

Manufacturer: Cyberpower Inc. 

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

What I use when using FSX: 

ActiveSky 2012 SP2

FSReal Time via WideFS

So, I really don't run that much when using FSX as you can see. I don't have alot of payware scenery installed. I use PMDG for most of my flying. 

So, anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!!! I haven't been flying lately because I am afraid I would get a OOM message and I would have flown for nothing. 

John R. Miller III

Virtual Pilot

Air Source

Vector Airlines 

It's VAS on Windows ensure that the you have the "Highmemfix=1" setting in your fsx.cfg.  After that if you are still getting OOM's i can only suggest that you move the LOD slider to the left.

FSX is only 32bit it can only address 4Gb of memory, after that you'll get a OOM

On the plus side, it's nothing to do with Photoshop!  ^_^

Ian R Tyldesley

FSX was running fine for at least 5 months before this started happening. I will try and lower the LOD slider to the left and see if that helps. I already have the memory fix in place. And, what is VAS? 

Is there away so FSX can use more than 2GB? 

Is there away so FSX can use more than 2GB?

You have a 64 bit OS so FSX should be able to use up to 4GB.  The rest will be used for system functions.  High fsx settings, especially the LOD_Radius and the Texture_Max_Load settings, will cause problems.  Maybe not right away but eventually your FSX will crash depending on what's loaded (aircraft, scenery, weather, and length of flight.  Long flights with high settings seem to be incompatible with FSX).  It would be nice if we could push all the sliders to the right and go fly and not worry about crashes, stuttering, the blurries, or other anomalies.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What is the recommend texture setting? I guess this was bound to happen to me sometime.

If FSX should use up to 4GB, then why would I get out of memory when it hits 3GB? There has to be a memory leak somewhere???

Others would need to confirm, but would an increased VAS help?

How would I increase the VAS?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

How would I increase the VAS?

You have a 64-bit system so if you have FSX SP2 or Acceleration you cannot increase VAS.

Switch to DX10.  It is well documented that DX10 has a lower memory footprint than DX9 because DX10 doesn't include your VRAM in the VAS.  

Just out of intrest Gerry why is that?

Just out of intrest Gerry why is that?

Because application VAS on 64 bit Windows isn't limited by the OS as it was is on 32 bit Windows, where 4G of total space had to be shared between the OS and all apps, and the setting you're referencing has no affect in the 64 bit environment.  If an application is large address aware (as current FSX is) it will get 4G of VAS, the full space that a 32 bit app is capable of addressing.  No need for any changes.

Scott

Ah ok, so I should use DX10 then?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2