Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

Boeing 744 crashes in Afghanistan

For anyone that is interested in departures and arrivals out of Bagram have a read of this. (2004 document)

http://mot.gov.af/Content/files/bagram_collision.pdf

It goes without saying that SOPs are still going to vary greatly between operators. Strange thing is I spoke to a few people and they say NADP1 is used out of Bagram. Anyway, I see absolutely nothing normal about the initial climb in that video, doesn't matter if they where flying a tactical departure or NADP, if it was a load shift problem it very likely happened as soon as the aircraft began to rotate.

Without a doubt they tried valiantly to save the aircraft but sadly they were all passengers.

Rob Prest

There is no such thing as a standard departure (NADP) at any airport in Afghanistan or previously Iraq. The decisions made for the aircraft in question, whatever it may be, are not determined by ATC or the PFL. How a aircraft departs a combat zone like Bagram, Kandahar, and the like, are made by the RCC or Regional Command Center (ex. RC-South), CSTC-A, and the JCTOC. The type of takeoffs change on a hourly basis depending upon threat catagory in the AOR.

And yes, it is used for 747 take-offs. It is infact utilized for a great deal of takeoffs by non-military avaition assets in combat zones. I departed Iraq in 2010 on a 777 (World Airways) from Al Asad Airbase, in which the aircraft conducted a combat-takeoff. Just FYI.

That may be different on fully loaded 747 Cargo. I said this only about 747 Cargo and this accident. And i said this after I talked with some B744 pilots.

They said there is no "tactical departure" for the B744, maybe for military aircrafts. This was also discussed on many forums, and many B744 Cargo pilots have confirmed - no tactical departure for B744, only Decision Height may be different on some airports. i tend to belive them :)

They use NADP 1 at Bagram

how do you know  that he didn't  do his  job,  ever heard of some unfortunate that something  gave  way or something similar  which was out of  his  control.  Think you need to wait  for  the actual facts  before you start blaming the load master

+1

It seems that this departure was the second leg of the trip, the aircraft had stopped at Bagram for refuelling and already had the MRAPS onboard.

News Details

Statement from National Air Cargo

Date: 5/1/2013

National

Air Cargo will not speculate as to the cause of the accident involving National

Flight NCR102. With our full cooperation, an investigation by appropriate

authorities is under way, and we encourage everyone to join us in respecting

that process and allowing it to take its appropriate course.

Here are some facts regarding the aircraft and its movements prior to the

accident:

· National Flight NCR102 was en route to Dubai from Camp

Bastian and had stopped to refuel at Bagram Air Base.

· The cargo contained within the aircraft was properly loaded

and secured, and had passed all necessary inspections prior to departing Camp

Bastian.

· The aircraft landed safely and uneventfully in

Bagram.

· No additional cargo or personnel was added during the stop

in Bagram, and the aircraft’s cargo was again inspected prior to departure.

Please

visit www.nationalaircargo.com for updates regarding this tragic accident.

Media inquiries can be directed to publicrelations@nationalairlines.aero.

Rob Prest

It seems that this departure was the second leg of the trip, the aircraft had stopped at Bagram for refuelling and already had the MRAPS onboard.

News Details

Statement from National Air Cargo

Date: 5/1/2013

National

Air Cargo will not speculate as to the cause of the accident involving National

Flight NCR102. With our full cooperation, an investigation by appropriate

authorities is under way, and we encourage everyone to join us in respecting

that process and allowing it to take its appropriate course.

Here are some facts regarding the aircraft and its movements prior to the

accident:

· National Flight NCR102 was en route to Dubai from Camp

Bastian and had stopped to refuel at Bagram Air Base.

· The cargo contained within the aircraft was properly loaded

and secured, and had passed all necessary inspections prior to departing Camp

Bastian.

· The aircraft landed safely and uneventfully in

Bagram.

· No additional cargo or personnel was added during the stop

in Bagram, and the aircraft’s cargo was again inspected prior to departure.

Please

visit www.nationalaircargo.com for updates regarding this tragic accident.

Media inquiries can be directed to publicrelations@nationalairlines.aero.

This makes things a little complicated...  If the cargo was loaded at another base and the flight from there to Bagram was uneventful something else is at play here...  The cargo wasn't removed or added to at the basic fuel stop in Bagram so that could rule out a shift especially if it was reinspected prior to takeoff.  I smell a rat...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I wouldn't go that far, the cargo was inspected again in Bagram, This seems to point towards one of the mechanisms to hold the MRAPS down failed rather then a case of incorrect loading. The crew managed to make a call to ATC stating cargo had shifted, you could imagine the noise of those MRAPS coming loose would be very clear to those onboard.

Rob Prest

scott967, on 30 Apr 2013 - 3:10 PM, said:

While on the subject we lost a local airman over there the other day. Capt. Reid K. Nishizuka USAF was killed when his MC-12 (Beech Super King Air) went down in Kandahar. His brother is just a year younger also a USAF Capt (B-2 pilot). Requiem in Pacem.

scott s.

I use to fly MC-12's, I am perplexed as to what happened, I'm still flying as a contractor, i can safely rule out weather.

Bringing this back for an update.

Investigation is out.  Aircraft crashed due to stall while attempting a climbing left turn at 20,000 ft.  Investigation found that pilots used in the MC-12 are generally brought in as temp assignments from other aircraft types and don't have a lot of hours or currency in the MC-12.

scott s..