Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighTowers

Boeing 744 crashes in Afghanistan

This is terrible. 8 apparently lost thier lives. This on the 744 25th anniversary. Quite the safety record.

Load shift is whats thought. Someone didnt put the lock up for the pallets. 

Another article says the Taliban claim responsibility. 

Thoughts go out to the families and the support they will need. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-american-747-cargo-jet-171026949.html

Yeah, I think once the investigation has run it's course the Taliban will have had nothing to do with this, it is just their way of spreading terror in the heart of people.   Very sad news indeed!

Kind regards

A good friend of mine personally witnessed this crash.  It's been a bad week for aviation out here.  Prayers to the families.

Todd

My gosh. That is insane. Happened so fast. Clearly that was a stall and not taliban thing. Load shift or severely out of trim. 

Those poor people. Thoughts and prayers indeed. 

What a sad accident, I just saw the video. It just looks so surreal how this big bird falls like a rock, very unbelievable and sad sight. 

I never thought I would watch something like this... Man... RIP for the men inside that plane

What sad,sad news no matter where the theatre of operations. Deepest Condolences to families of all involved at National Air Cargo.

R.I.P.

RIP :( I have read crash reports in the past that mention an aircraft having almost zero forward velocity after an aggressive pitch up and stall, so surreal to actually see it happen.

Fortunately these kind of cargo shifts are extremely rare.

Indeed, very sad.

It's hard to watch, but there's video on Live Leak showing the crash.

Warning: Not easy to watch knowing people died.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518

That video, wow... Hard to watch, next to no forward velocity at the end... Must have been awful for the crew sitting up front to know there was no way out of this... 

I remember seeing that exact aircraft at work for a while a few years back when it was being painted, hard to believe it's the same one in that video. My Condolences to the families...

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

Apparently the crew reported a load shift just prior to the crash. Five or so 20,000 pound military vehicles onboard, maybe some broken tie straps and cleats are the culprit. Very sad to see, and it's unnerving to see an aircraft we know to be so safe in such an attitude. Condolences to the families for an accident that shouldn't have happened.

Just caught this. Amazing major news organizations aren't reporting this. The plane looked like it just melted into the ground. Very sad and hard to watch.

Amazing major news organizations aren't reporting this

Yeah, I've not heard a dickie on BBC News about this. Only for reading it here, I'd have been none the wiser. Wonder why. Is there a news blackout?

Yeah, I've not heard a dickie on BBC News about this. Only for reading it here, I'd have been none the wiser. Wonder why. Is there a news blackout?

Cargo crashes normally don't get much attention from the media, since this video has come out expect to see it picked up very quickly.

That might be the worst crash video I've ever seen... god. You know that the crew knew exactly what was happening and how powerless they were to stop it the whole time. Ugh.

Having looked at that video a number of times yet I don't think it's sunk in yet.

To watch such a large machine, just fail you like that, I can't imagine what the crew must have been going through. When you fly the heavy metal you almost start to feel like they can do anything, like if there's ever a problem, you can sort it out, it might not be a nice solution, but if you're good enough you can make it back to the ground alive.

To have such an aircraft go out of control like that and fail you as a pilot must have been one of the worst possible feelings. Regardless of what you do, what you try, how long you've been flying, how skilled you are, you are going to crash, and you are going to die. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Regards,

Ró.

As has been said, that's hard to watch.  No way out for them.

RIP.

hardly any sound makes it eerie. Nothing the crew could have possibly done about it, RIP

As has been said, that's hard to watch.  No way out for them.

RIP.

Yes. Very hard to watch, even after several times of watching it!

That is insane. I saw video from a different angle from the rear yesterday. Seeing it from this angle is scary. Not much that you can do in this case and it looks like they did a pretty good job keeping it up right. 

The date stamp on the video is 1st of February? Did the crash occur in February and footage is only released now?

The date stamp on the video is 1st of February? Did the crash occur in February and footage is only released now?

I'd guess the date in the camera was set incorrectly...