Sign in to follow this  
cslawrence

Simply Curious

Ryan (or anyone from PMDG),

If the NGX was any indication, no doubt you'll have some nice 777 video previews lined up for us at some point down the line. The thing I remember vividly after seeing the first NGX video was the sound. I feel like the sounds are some of the most underappreciated aspects of your work by fans of your stuff. Would you guys be willing to go over how you develop the sound packages you ship in as much detail as you do the model and the VC? I'm especially curious with the sound package in the 777, as some of the sounds it makes, to me at least, would seem incredibly difficult to replicate (though, I'm positive you'll have faithfully recreated them in the end). Not asking for trade secrets, I just want to get a sense for the amount of work that goes into creating a realistic representation of something as complex as an aircraft soundset in a product where, let's face it, you and your customers demand so much in terms of realism.

I'm going to sit there for half hour starting those beauties up then shutting them down again.. *drools*

I have to agree the sound is an integral part of the package, the NGX is the front runner sound wise for me, So definitely looking forward to the GE90.

Always wondered how they replicate the sounds.

Ryan (or anyone from PMDG),

If the NGX was any indication, no doubt you'll have some nice 777 video previews lined up for us at some point down the line. The thing I remember vividly after seeing the first NGX video was the sound. I feel like the sounds are some of the most underappreciated aspects of your work by fans of your stuff. Would you guys be willing to go over how you develop the sound packages you ship in as much detail as you do the model and the VC? I'm especially curious with the sound package in the 777, as some of the sounds it makes, to me at least, would seem incredibly difficult to replicate (though, I'm positive you'll have faithfully recreated them in the end). Not asking for trade secrets, I just want to get a sense for the amount of work that goes into creating a realistic representation of something as complex as an aircraft soundset in a product where, let's face it, you and your customers demand so much in terms of realism.

+1

I have always found the sound one of the components I look for in payware, really what is the point of having this brilliant aircraft with all the systems and every detail modeled and ultra realistic when the engines sound like a 35 year old lawn mower. The third most important reason I buy PMDG, behind the virtual cockpit/systems and the aircraft model respectively, is the amazing sound I have found in them, and I am sure on the beauty it will be no different, maybe even another step higher on the sound quality scale if that is even possible.

I wasn't on any forums when the NGX came out (2 years ago??).  Is that typical PMDG lead up to release style, outside-inside shots then a video?

Chris Sunseri

I wasn't on any forums when the NGX came out (2 years ago??).  Is that typical PMDG lead up to release style, outside-inside shots then a video?

The video, as I recall, came out after all the picture previews, similar to what we're getting now. The video showed, from the VC, the NGX from holding short of the runway to a take-off run and initial climb. There was a subsequent video demonstrating the HUD. I was of course amazed at the detail, but what really stood out to me was that it SOUNDED like I was in a 737 in addition to looking like one.

GE90-115B Gas Turbine Jet Engine Testing & Evaluation

search in yotube :3

I feel like the sound is the most under appreciated aspect of their simulations because so many people here have no clue what it's supposed to sound like up front...

Of course, instead of sitting back and thinking "you know, they might know what they're talking about," they run off to YouTube and try to emulate some crappy sound setup, or what they experience as a passenger.

Kyle Rodgers

I feel like the sound is the most under appreciated aspect of their simulations because so many people here have no clue what it's supposed to sound like up front...

Of course, instead of sitting back and thinking "you know, they might know what they're talking about," they run off to YouTube and try to emulate some crappy sound setup, or what they experience as a passenger.

I would have to agree with you there Kyle.

For me apart from the systems, the sound is the most vital part of any PMDG aircraft.

For sounds, I will be listening for a little sqeak sound that comes from the throttles as they are manually reduced to idle at some point of their travel, I've heard this is many many 777 videos, given their passion for detail I would be surprised if they didn't include this.