Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

If you have a 1920x1080 monitor, just take a screenshot of your panel.

Put the bmp file on a USB drive and take it your TV...

As long as you have a modern TV, the image is just as sharp as it is on your monitor,

adjusted for distance.

I have a 42" 720p plasma with only a VGA and HDMI input. I could take a USB stick to a local retailer. Good idea, thanks.

Web Maximus,

Thanks for the description. I agree that a large display would give you a much greater feel of realism and involvement. I wouldn't want to risk buying a screen before trialling everything beforehand though.

My current set-up is a 24" TFT with a full forward view only. Project Magenta runs on a WideFS PC and provides Boeing-style instrumentation (minus overhead) on 2 18" TFTs either side of the 24".

Any large display would probably have to be wall-mounted but hopefully the distance of about 4 feet would be sufficient to give me a sharp image.

I need to find someone around Manchester / Cheshire who has such a set-up.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The image is sharp at any distance, it doesnt get 'fuzzy' as such but the pixels are larger.   

Keeping your 18" screens would be ideal to put some instrumentation on.   You can also take video to the shop.   When I got my 3 42" screens I took some video of the sims I fly and race and put them on the screens in the shop and placed myself at the distances I thought I would be.

For flying I end up at around 700mm from the screens as my cockpit doesnt let me get close, for racing I was closer.

There is more talk about 'quality'.   It's very subjective as where someone may talk only about the quality of the image others will take the quality of the entire experience and most people who fly on my rig - mostly simmers themselves would go big tv if they had the space.

Thanks for that Jason. 700mm does seem very close but obviously you're happy with that so I shouldn't discount that distance.

It's a pity that there aren't any monitors of that size with the resolution limited to 1920*1080. If you want a display higher than 27" you have to buy a TV but I will never use it as a TV.

There is a gap in the market for panels rather than TVs. I watch TV and DVDs on a 42" plasma display - no sound or TV capability - and it's a pity there is no market for LED/LCD equivalents. They would be considerably cheaper.

I took a couple of screen shots of the PMDG737 cockpit yesterday. I will drop them to a USB and visit a TV store.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So  to update the post I went ahead and bought z 40 inch Samsung 1080p HD TV.  I definitely don't regret it.  At 3ft away it's absolutely humungous but not in any way TOO big.  I was using an old 20 inch monitor before, so what a difference.  The picture is still pretty clear, although it does bring up some small anti-aliasing issues that you wouldn't have to deal with on a small screen.  All in all though it was well worth the purchase and would recommend that anyone considering going big should do it without hesitation. 

Glad to hear you like your new TV :smile:

I remember feeling exactly the same when I switched from using a monitor, how the TV seemed HUGE but in a good way and now a couple of years later it feels perfectly normal running at 40".

Richard Åsberg

Vizio 42in 3d tv buy another one in a few years. Qaulity not 4k, but 24 fps 1080 3d flying is the fun part of it landing especially.

Well I can get away with 720p 3d without any hit to fps, but 1080 is a killer in ORBX land with all the add ons I'm running.  It is pretty cool but the anti-aliasing is pretty bad. 

Vizio 42in 3d tv buy another one in a few years. Qaulity not 4k, but 24 fps 1080 3d flying is the fun part of it landing especially.

What type of 3D technique does your TV use, does it convert FSX from 2D to 3D in real time or are you using some kind of 3D drivers for your video card?

My Samsung TV can convert 2D->3D in real-time meaning there is no FPS hit at all since the conversion is done by the TV but the 3D effect is no where near what you see on the latest version 3D TVs from LG for example when watching real 3D content.

Thought it was very cool when I first got the TV but since the effect isn't that good plus I need to wear those shutter glasses I seldom use it anymore.

Would be great though if you could get really good 3D in FSX without a significant FPS hit!

Richard Åsberg

I'm using the NVIDIA 3DTV software for my Samsung 3DTV, which transforms games into to true 3D the same as NVIDIA 3D VISION.  It's really awesome but at 1080p comes at a FPS price.  The 2D to 3D effect isn't nearly the same!

What type of 3D technique does your TV use, does it convert FSX from 2D to 3D in real time or are you using some kind of 3D drivers for your video card?

My Samsung TV can convert 2D->3D in real-time meaning there is no FPS hit at all since the conversion is done by the TV but the 3D effect is no where near what you see on the latest version 3D TVs from LG for example when watching real 3D content.

Thought it was very cool when I first got the TV but since the effect isn't that good plus I need to wear those shutter glasses I seldom use it anymore.

Would be great though if you could get really good 3D in FSX without a significant FPS hit!

The big downside the landing lights and night flying cant do it in 3d. FPS not terrible at 1080p could be better at 30fps plus. During the day take photoscenery and use 3dtv in 1080p with nividia 3dplay software. Love for the cockpits and landing and sense of being in the sky. Just hope next generation flight simulator provide improvements with 3d tech.

Use passive 3d interlaced mode, not need for active shutters that reqiuire expensive batteries.

Like the setup, but fly both 3d and non 3d based the plane and area complexity. Just installed 760gtx so far not bad

I have had one for some time now, and cannot imagine not using this...................could have been better with a monitor grade, but this is perfectly fine........use with the 680 card and a 4.6 system..............secery is terrific!! B42L8

I had a 42" LCD 1920x1080p res :

Although I liked it, i did not like the noticeable lack of fine definition of fonts and other small things.

I now have an eyefinity setup of 3 DELLS of 1920x1200 each (all in portrait)

The native res of 3240x1920 was lowered to 3150x1680 in order to increase fps a bit. It flys at 16 to 45++ fps depending on situation. Lots of addons TBM850, FTX, OpusFsx

Naturally you would need an OC to 4.7G and a high end 3G+ videocard.

But in the end its size is like a 42".

There is rthe matter of bezel correction , which works well, but takes some getting used to.

This week I plan on removing the plastic casings of all three DELLS which should reduse bezels to 8mm from 28mm

I mounted a 52" plasma screen monitor on my Volair Sim cockpit.  Now my only problem is that I can't get away from it.  

It's so comfortable that I'll also watch movies on it.

Maybe it's time to check out some 3D alternatives again, I'll check out that Nvidia 3DTV.

Richard Åsberg

Actually the NDVIDIA 3DTV program works great!  The software works in place of the 3D vision kit, so as long as you have a 3DTV you're in business.  You can also download a 14 day trial of it for free.  Just that for fsx/p3d you get some jaggies and there is some degradation to the image, at least what I mean is that it is not as clear as there is some quasi shimmery stuff going on and compared to other games it is definitely not a good one in 3D.  However you do get a taste of how good the potential is when we get some newer software.  The outdated and IMO awful textures of the FSX/P3D engine (ORBX included) don't magically get better in 3D.  However the virtual cabins and flying through clouds really stand out in 3D.  But now that I have the hardware, I have enjoyed some other games that look absolutely FANTASTIC in true 3D!  Such as Trine 2 (if you have 3D capability and haven't explored it for gaming you've gotta check out the visuals on this one!), and my personal sports favorite, NBA2K13 also looks real nice in 3D.....