Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

I think you should get a projector and do something like this

:) 1 projector + first surface mirror (akin to iDome, Paul Bourke work)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Just measured. I sit exactly 3 feet from my 50" led.

Thinking about going to a 60".

Not Kidding.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I think you should get a projector and do something like this

:) 1 projector + first surface mirror (akin to iDome, Paul Bourke work)

Not to say that is not nice, as a matter of fact I'm still drooling after I viewed the video, but how much is the thing? $10k? Their website has no price info.

You know OR only costs $300, very affordable...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

It is expensive, but I am planning to build my own - if you read up on p bourke idome he gives some practical advice.

This gives about a 120-150 degree view which should be good for desktop use, gaming, flight sim, movies, etc. 

Next question.... :unsure:

I have 3 x 23 inch running of a matrox triple head with Track IR and using  Nvidia 680

The samsung screens are slowly packing up.

What would it be like changing to one 42 inch LED TV   ???

Cheaper to buy one than buy 3 new smaller ones.

Thanks for any input.

Trevor Golding

Next question.... :unsure:

I have 3 x 23 inch running of a matrox triple head with Track IR and using  Nvidia 680

The samsung screens are slowly packing up.

What would it be like changing to one 42 inch LED TV   ???

Cheaper to buy one than buy 3 new smaller ones.

Thanks for any input.

I use 1 40+ " samsung LED TV. I sit abou 0.5 m away from the screen. Its great, but you'll lack the peripheral views, so you need to use trackIR. 

I use 1 40+ " samsung LED TV. I sit abou 0.5 m away from the screen. Its great, but you'll lack the peripheral views, so you need to use trackIR. 

Hey, how does that work? 20" from a 42" monitor? When I've sat even 4ft away all I can see are pixels...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm using a 1080p LED TV hooked up to my Nvidia 660TI, works like a treat.

Make sure you are using native resolution. 

Works great for me too in combination with TrackIR so I guess what's of importance is what kind of TV you have, what resolution you're running at and possibly how you connect it to your PC like the previous poster said.

I have a 40" Samsung LED TV running at 1920x1080 connected via HDMI.

Richard Åsberg

Hey, how does that work? 20" from a 42" monitor? When I've sat even 4ft away all I can see are pixels...

That sounds like it would give you a headache. The size of a pixel on a 42" 1920*1080 display is far larger than on a 24" monitor. I am attracted by having a larger display but surely the viewing distance would have to be 4ft or more?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sure, it's all about viewing distances. With respect, I think it's often a case of size rather than quality. But I guess everyone to their own...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

That sounds like it would give you a headache. The size of a pixel on a 42" 1920*1080 display is far larger than on a 24" monitor. I am attracted by having a larger display but surely the viewing distance would have to be 4ft or more?

lol. I'm' used to seeing everything 'big' now. Everything is tiny on my 20" LCD. 

BTW, I just watched man of steel at my local IMAX....my TV looks minuscule in comparison :( Hoping to upgrade to 100" projector soon. 

Not to say that is not nice, as a matter of fact I'm still drooling after I viewed the video, but how much is the thing? $10k? Their website has no price info.

You know OR only costs $300, very affordable...

I had an oculus rift, one of the first to hack it and get it working with fsx. 

Right now with its current resolution its not going to cut it out in the cockpit. 

I sold mine on ebay for a tidy profit :)

Sure, it's all about viewing distances. With respect, I think it's often a case of size rather than quality. But I guess everyone to their own...

Indeed. It all depends on what type of view you have. With a full-forward view I imagine the relative lack of resolution would not be a problem but if you fly an aircraft with a detailed panel (PMDG) then the relatively 'fuzzy' image may be an issue.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone flying the PMDG 737 who has one of these massive displays and how they get on with the FMC and finding their way around the overhead. Do you run with 2D or 3D panels too?

lol. I'm' used to seeing everything 'big' now. Everything is tiny on my 20" LCD.

BTW, I just watched man of steel at my local IMAX....my TV looks minuscule in comparison :( Hoping to upgrade to 100" projector soon.

Some of us oldies remember flying with a 14" CRT. on FS5.  :wink:  When I first switched to a 24" 1920*1200 display back in Jan 2007 it was as large as you could get, projectors excepted.

It's not the scenery I'm concerned about but the resolution on panels. is all the lettering on buttons easily readable?

Once you've had that 100" projector a few years you'll hanker after a 150". :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you have a 1920x1080 monitor, just take a screenshot of your panel.

Put the bmp file on a USB drive and take it to your TV...

As long as you have a modern TV, the image is just as sharp as it is on your monitor,

adjusted for distance.

Bert

I'd be interested to hear from anyone flying the PMDG 737 who has one of these massive displays and how they get on with the FMC and finding their way around the overhead. Do you run with 2D or 3D panels too?

I fly the NGX exclusively on my 40" Samsung LED TV using TrackIR 5 and I have no problems what so ever. Should add though I've been running FSX on TVs for so long now that I don't even remember what it looks like on a small computer monitor :wink:

As for the feeling looking around the overhead panel etc I personally think it feels so much more real having the overhead panel (and all other things within the cockpit for that matter) in this size since having all of it on a small monitor will make it really feel like you're only watching a picture on a monitor. Running on a rather big TV and sitting rather close to it gives you IMHO much more of the feeling that you're actually sitting in the cockpit and the knobs etc are pretty much in their actual size.

That's how I feel about it but then again, I guess this can vary a lot from person to person what you like and what you don't like.

Richard Åsberg