Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

Sounds interesting, will definitely have a look at that software and give the trial version a go!

One thing though, the way I understood it I'm supposed to use the original glasses that came with my 3D TV which in my case means the shutter kind of glasses and part of the reason I stopped using them (other than I didn't find the effect that good) was I got very tired in my eyes by the shimmering caused by them.

Are you also using the same type of battery driven shutter glasses?

My Samsung 3D TV is a couple of years old now so not in any way the latest version...

Richard Åsberg

I got the Samsung series 6 TV, which probably isn't the newest there is, but I live in Mexico and everything here is older and more expensive.  And yes, mine has the active glasses with a small cheap lithium battery.  You will have to use those glasses.  Once you download the software, install and click enable... all you have to do is start the program with the correct resolution and frequency.  IN the case of FSX/P3D, first change your frequency to 24 HZ, then you can try 1080p, and lastly change to full screen.  Your TV should change to 3D at the point.  If the 1080p crushes your fps (I'm running at 4.8gz with a 680 4GB, and there's a big hit), then switch your resolution back to 60 HZ and change the resolution in the sim to 1280-720.  For whatever reason it looked exactly the same to me in either resolution, probably because the ground textures are pretty low res to begin with. 

Previously I've played around with red/blue 3D glasses, which is fun for a minute but everything looks red and blue obviously, which gets old real fast. 

Checked my Samsung TV and the exact model code is UE40C8700. I tried finding any information if this model would be compatible with Nvidia 3DTV but couldn't really find the info I was looking for. Anyone else knows if this model works with Nvidia 3DTV?

Then another question, looking at the last post made by do_denver2, did I understand it correctly that to run Nvidia 3DTV I need to run FSX in fullscreen mode?

Richard Åsberg

I mounted a 52" plasma screen monitor on my Volair Sim cockpit.  Now my only problem is that I can't get away from it.  

It's so comfortable that I'll also watch movies on it.

How far back are you from it? 

I find big screens very bright, and rather slow in response time when connected to computers... 

WM, there's a list somewhere on the NVIDIA website with compatible TVs, which most are.  You could go ahead and download the free trial and see if it works, and yes you have to be in full screen mode.  All 3D games seem to have to run in full screen.

I'm 3 feet away from the TV, and there is no noticeable lag.  I have the TV set in gaming mode.

WM, there's a list somewhere on the NVIDIA website with compatible TVs, which most are.  You could go ahead and download the free trial and see if it works, and yes you have to be in full screen mode.  All 3D games seem to have to run in full screen.

I'm 3 feet away from the TV, and there is no noticeable lag.  I have the TV set in gaming mode.

Yeah, I even read on their site click here to see a list of supported 3D TVs but when I clicked that link I still couldn't find the list.

Doesn't really matter though now that I know you need to run FSX in full screen mode to be able to use Nividia's 3D because that is not an option in my case since I do all my flying online and I experienced major problems in the past trying to run in full screen mode.

Thanks anyway!

Richard Åsberg

No problem... you're not missing more than just experimenting around. Maybe in P3D v2 or Xplane 3D will get on track...

However the virtual cabins and flying through clouds really stand out in 3D. 

Carendo new 206h model in 3d ahhh, its looks so real felt i stole the plane

42" is too large for the distance I'll be sitting from a replacement screen and I need to consider panel clarity as I will be flying PMDG aircraft and FSLabs ConcordeX and need each switch to be clear.

Given resolution is fixed at 1920 *1080 I want a more inclusive feel than my current Dell 24" 1920*1200 display gives me. I think a 32" would be a good compromise. I'm seriously considering this Sony 32" LCD.

If you look at this chart the benefits of 1920*1200 for a 32" display are optimal at 4ft. That would be very close to my viewing distance.

The comparative size of each screen can be seen here.

Anyone have a 32" LCD they would care to share their thoughts about?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That chart is primarily used for tv/s viewing distance where resolution is beneficial.

its just saying at distance X, for watching movies, will a higher resolution be beneficial?   

For example, since 1920 HD has been around on projectors people have been watching on 110, 120" screens with movie like quality at close distances.   Now, would 4k be beneficial?  Yes.   Is 1920 at that distance still perfectly acceptable?  yes!

Understand that chart for what it is and what it isn't.   It isn't telling you that 1920 at a distance will not be good.   In fact its usually pretty fine.

That chart is primarily used for tv/s viewing distance where resolution is beneficial.

its just saying at distance X, for watching movies, will a higher resolution be beneficial?   

For example, since 1920 HD has been around on projectors people have been watching on 110, 120" screens with movie like quality at close distances.   Now, would 4k be beneficial?  Yes.   Is 1920 at that distance still perfectly acceptable?  yes!

Understand that chart for what it is and what it isn't.   It isn't telling you that 1920 at a distance will not be good.   In fact its usually pretty fine.

Jason,

Yes, I understand the rules. It wasn't a particularly good thing to include in my post. Also, a projected image has different rules to a TV one as you probably know.

I intend to take a few screenshot bitmaps on a USB stick to a TV retailer and see how they look. That should help me decide if a 32" is okay. 42" is too large (and expensive) for consideration and there are very few 37" displays so 32 it has to be.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Given resolution is fixed at 1920 *1080 I want a more inclusive feel than my current Dell 24" 1920*1200 display gives me. I think a 32" would be a good compromise. I'm seriously considering this Sony 32" LCD.

Anyone have a 32" LCD they would care to share their thoughts about?

I've got a 27" Samsung LED/LCD monitor at 1920x1080 and love it.

I sit at 55 cm distance (I can reach out and touch the screen)..

Only (important) piece of advice:  the LED screens can be very bright... use the

Nvidia control panel to reduce Gamma to 0.8.  That fixes it.

That Sony TV looks very nice, but also expensive...

I paid $300 for my Samsung monitor.. but I can see that 32" would be tempting..

Bert

I thought that 42 inches would be too big as I sit 3 ft away.  Many people said it wasn't, and I went ahead and got the 40 inch screen.  I don't regret it.  It's huge but in no way too big.  I can also sit right in front and watch HD movies, some in 3d and it looks fantastic. 

In FSX/P3D all of the high res stuff like the REal Air and NGX VC look fantastic on the big screen.  Of course all the crappy ground textures still don't look good.  And then there's the temptation of 3D, which isn't really a good option right now, but who knows, maybe with P3D v2.  I took the NGX out for a spin last night in 3D with the new Global 3D night lights... pretty fun.  However I have to lower res from 1080 to 720, and the AA is still pretty bad, so it's not crisp enough to be a keeper.  At 1080 you're limited to a max 24 FPS and performance takes a massive hit.

Thanks for the advice Bert. If I end up with that TV I'll make the adjustment. Prices in the UK are always more expensive but it will be cheaper from my preferred retailer.

do_denver, there's no way I could watch a movie on a 40" from 3 feet. if nothing else this very useful thread shows how how varied we all are when it comes to viewing an image. What works for one wouldn't for another. It would help me understand your system if you could post details in your profile.

The display still has to function as a display for normal computer tasks so that has to be borne in mind in my choice.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

At 1080 you're limited to a max 24 FPS and performance takes a massive hit.

You mean at 1080 you are limited to 24fps in the 3D mode your tv offers?

If you generally cant get more than 24fps in any mode then you have the wrong resolution/refresh rate combination selected.

Any tv should allow you a 59-60hz refresh rate when used as a monitor.