Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Disgusted with ORBX Forum

Dear hcomea,  I'm wondering why Avsim had to open The Unofficial ORBX Forum here.....(and no, I;m not expecting you to answer me but you are welcome to if you feel like it), see nobody (as far as I know) has trashed Orbx products,,,"au contraire" as far as I know nothing but good things have been said here about their products.

England may have got the bad end of the stick here (regarding comments made about it) as been the worse sceneries released by Orbx so far, but comments that were made about it where (again, as far as I know) only constructive comments made by buyers to tell Orbx that the scenery in question was not up to Orbx's usual standard, still why do you think they (Avsim) had to open a special unofficial forum just for Orbx sceneries, (ask the Orbx's ceo if he was happy about it, naaa don't ask, you already know the answer) where else and for which other company did this happened in the past, for the same reasons...and the reasons are that Orbx' ceo won't (on their own forums) take any criticism about their products what so ever or about the way their members are threated, simple as that, so yes the "usual" contributors who were in the past a part of Orbx's forums members are now contributing here, Avsim's forums Avsim's rules.

I can see all the usual suspects are back after lying low for a while. I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Since we are into linking now this is the other side of things - I discovered this thread while googling for reviews of NRM and CRM

- ORBX Northern Rocky Mountains negative review -

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?51404-ORBX-Northern-Rocky-Mountains-negative-review-can-anyone-confirm-Or-deny

As the poster above me would say - 'this makes for a read'.

I think it says a lot that a number of people responded to the thread that contrary to the original post - Orbx support is good accompanied by the usual naysayers. As much as it makes me feel a little weird defending a commercial company whose moderating I don't like, it gets grating after a while when a couple of people for their own reasons have decided to discourage people from using a good decently priced product with good support. It's not honest.

Having enjoyed ORBX products quite a bit, I found the linked article with a "discouraging word" to be very interesting. 

First things first: ORBX does make you jump through some hoops to get joined up, but once you have the "secret handshake" I have found them to be really great at support. Responsive, respectful, and thoughtful when provided new information that they perhaps did not have before.

Now, on to the linked article. The final arbiter of what is "correct" is Google Maps, and this is where I have pointed out issues to the ORBX crew and they listened and took notes for future updates. When the link author Dain Arnes compared UTX (which I also have and admired) with ORBX, however, he only used Google Maps once, for a sloping mountain shot where we all know FSX has problems with vertical gradients. 

However, when you compare the Florence MT view he presented to that of Google Maps, where the straight road going North is the old US 93 and the new interstate curves around on the right side, Google Maps indicates that, yes, that is mostly open land and ORBX is almost spot-on. Same for the Missoula view north of KMSO: that "view" can only be found at one place, and again, ORBX nails it much better than UTX. There is a small industrial park that both miss, but other than that, the ORBX view is accurate: lots and lots of nothing.

I have to go back to work right now, but will take a look at the other ones later today.

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

It's great to see the predictable quality advice from the 'usual' contributors on this thread. When you have satisfied yourself here, please feel free to bump your existing support topic in the official support topic and we can get back to the process of constructively trying to solve it.

Over and out.

Ian,

Do you have to always be so snarky and bitter, especially to those who are your customers? Talk about biting off the hand that feeds you, all the way to the elbow!

If you were a Doberman they'd have to feed you with a slingshot. ;)

Come on man, lighten up!

Kind regards,

Dear hcomea, I'm wondering why Avsim had to open The Unofficial ORBX Forum here.....(and no, I;m not expecting you to answer me but you are welcome to ....

Alain, for the sake of preventing misunderstandings, and since you brought it up, let's clarify a few things.

You requested closure of your account at ORBX in protest, after it was decided that a hardware sub forum was closed. Nothing to do with products / support.

A number of other members protested with conduct unbecoming, and non-constructive, and had their accounts restricted.

As a result of their direct requests, Tom Allensworth opened the forum here, and the result speaks for itself. Self selected interest group, you might say.

The fact that you "can't let go" and feel the need to offer the same rhetoric on threads that appear here from time to time makes me feel a little sad.

I had no idea that the closure of the forum in question had damaged you so severely, and so for that I am sorry.

As for the reason why Mr Allensworth wanted to start the forum, you would have to look at the content and decide whether that was an inspired decision, or otherwise.

Let go, Alain, and get on with your life. Take a step outside and breathe the fresh air. There is a whole world out there.

Based on past experience, I have little doubt that a flame-war of sorts will ensue as a result of this, with each member pushing their specific agenda.

So be it, but I shall exercise some inner Zen, and resist feeding trolls, more than I may have already.

Have a nice day, and we'll see Jetsmell over at the support forum when he is ready.

Edit: sorry Stephen, missed your post while I was typing my essay. Not snarky or bitter, but on reflection you would have to question the constructiveness of most posts / threads here. I know how I find them. I'll leave it to others to form their own opinions.

and another thing....I just hit my 1000 post, yah to me!

Congratulations OmniAtlas!

Do you plan to stay at 1,000 or break the magic number?

Edit: sorry Stephen, missed your post while I was typing my essay. Not snarky or bitter, but on reflection you would have to question the constructiveness of most posts / threads here. I know how I find them. I'll leave it to others to form their own opinions.

Ian,

Thank you for your kind answer.

As people with strong opinions we all make more than our fair share of mistakes and mishandled others. No matter, at some point new bridges should be built where old ones were burnt, unless we want to end our days in bitter old times instead of better new ones.

If its every eye for an eye and every tooth for a tooth, world without end, each of us will die blind and toothless. We might not be able to roll back the wars and the reasons for it, and the endless retelling of old tales that still hurt, but we don't have to start new ones either.

Kind regards,

Congratulations OmniAtlas!

Do you plan to stay at 1,000 or break the magic number?

Is 3475 the magic number? :)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

The interesting thing about this whole thread is that BOTH site administrators would have locked this down at the first smell of discontent. Dont tell me you would not, because history has proven otherwise. Lesson - VESTED INTERESTS does not serve the interests of your reach market

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AND you ate both as bad as each other in your chosen glory holes. (Kiwi interpretation - ability to please customer in the quickest and cheapest way possible, until it goes wrong). And I must stress that this is not the americana interptretation.

(...)
First things first: ORBX does make you jump through some hoops to get joined up, but once you have the "secret handshake" I have found them to be really great at support. Responsive, respectful, and thoughtful when provided new information that they perhaps did not have before.
(...)

JKH

Nicely put. I'd like to add 'methodical' and 'involving' when describing their way to support.

AND you ate both as bad as each other in your chosen glory holes. (Kiwi interpretation - ability to please customer in the quickest and cheapest way possible, until it goes wrong). And I must stress that this is not the americana interptretation.

Would you mind re-statng this, I have no idea what you are saying.

What exactly has changed when trying to register anyway? I just know you had to register normally (like every other account on the internet in this world) then they changed it to having to post in some thread.

What exactly has changed when trying to register anyway? I just know you had to register normally (like every other account on the internet in this world) then they changed it to having to post in some thread.

... with adding at least the order no. of the ORBX product you're seeking support for, to your signature in between those steps.

Rest is spot-on.

I think the problem with the written word is that it's all too easy to be misinterpreted. Forums are a typical example of how a perfectly innocent remark can be misconstrued and seen as a snipe or a sarcastic remark. I agree Stephen, very wise of you to advocate the 'burning of bridges' this is something as we get older becomes more important, life is far too short to hold grudges. As for the misinterpretation of words, try this little example and see how many different ways of saying one sentence can influence it's meaning. Just emphasis the underlined word....

I didn't say the man stole the money

:wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776