Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Windows 8.1 - The Start Button Returns

Okay, to many it may be useful, but having it fullscreen... how is that useful? What if you quickly want to open a program while doing something else? (Many people can type without looking at the keyboard. Myself included, and probably you and many other people). Also, I'm assuming you're on Windows 8. Did you install a program to watch DVD movies?

Opening a program while doing something else is possible, just as it always has been. Even on the old start menu, you had to stop what you were doing and be taken away from the program you were using. This concept has not changed. I'm not quite sure what exactly you are referring to regarding typing without looking. You can still press the Windows key on your keyboard and begin typing, which will search for whatever you type on your computer, whether it be a file, program, and so on. I don't watch DVDs on my PC, so I never made an effort to find something to do so, however, I obtained the Windows Media Center a while back (which they were giving away for free for a certain time or something) and that can play DVDs. Granted, it's not the best for that, but it works. I may be wrong, but I believe VLC Media Player can play DVDs.

Brandon Filer

Opening a program while doing something else is possible, just as it always has been. Even on the old start menu, you had to stop what you were doing and be taken away from the program you were using. This concept has not changed. I'm not quite sure what exactly you are referring to regarding typing without looking. You can still press the Windows key on your keyboard and begin typing, which will search for whatever you type on your computer, whether it be a file, program, and so on. I don't watch DVDs on my PC, so I never made an effort to find something to do so, however, I obtained the Windows Media Center a while back (which they were giving away for free for a certain time or something) and that can play DVDs. Granted, it's not the best for that, but it works. I may be wrong, but I believe VLC Media Player can play DVDs.

On the old start menu, you didn't have to stop doing something (whether it is Skyping someone, watching a movie, YouTube, reading an article, etc.) and focus on the menu because it only took up a small portion of your screen, while the start screen takes up the entire screen. 

Since it's apparent that MS wanted to make Windows 8 smaller (as in, Windows size), they should have at least made WMC a free addition/program/"app" on the Windows shop. It is ridiculous that the end-user is forced to install a separate program just to watch DVD movies. Also, I can't see schools and large businesses wasting time and resources and "people power" on installing a separate video player for their systems.

On the old start menu, you didn't have to stop doing something (whether it is Skyping someone, watching a movie, YouTube, reading an article, etc.) and focus on the menu because it only took up a small portion of your screen, while the start screen takes up the entire screen. 

Since it's apparent that MS wanted to make Windows 8 smaller (as in, Windows size), they should have at least made WMC a free addition/program/"app" on the Windows shop. It is ridiculous that the end-user is forced to install a separate program just to watch DVD movies. Also, I can't see schools and large businesses wasting time and resources and "people power" on installing a separate video player for their systems.

You must have quite some skill to be able to watch a video/perform another task while still clicking on and navigating the start menu. :P If you're looking at the start menu, you're already not looking at the video/interacting with the other program. At most, you are in the menu for around 5-10 seconds. Have you ever actually used Windows 8? I never liked the new start screen before I used it for myself. Once you get used to it, it really isn't as in-your-face as it seems. Just a few clicks and you're out.

As for the DVD playing, myself, I have never had an issue with it. But I do agree that it is a necessary feature that should have been included by default.

Brandon Filer

You must have quite some skill to be able to watch a video/perform another task while still clicking on and navigating the start menu. :P If you're looking at the start menu, you're already not looking at the video/interacting with the other program. At most, you are in the menu for around 5-10 seconds. Have you ever actually used Windows 8? I never liked the new start screen before I used it for myself. Once you get used to it, it really isn't as in-your-face as it seems. Just a few clicks and you're out.

As for the DVD playing, myself, I have never had an issue with it. But I do agree that it is a necessary feature that should have been included by default.

Lol, but I do that all the time. I use the Windows key on my keyboard then I quickly time, for example, snipping tool or whatever I want to open without stopping what I'm doing. Yes, I downloaded the Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation copy (final build) from MSDN, and I dual-booted it into my computer. I like the extended task bar, and the new Metro-inspired UI for the windows. Aero was nice, but not that necessary. I could never get used to the start screen.

I thought that only worked on the Developer Previews and not the final version...?

I want to buy 8 and later upgrade to 8.1. Hence how should I do that? I definitely don't want to bother with those tiles.- Without easy solution like on dev prev I might buy win 7 from ebay as my Vista is ######ing crap....I've several apps that never worked ok alike Visual Studio etc., which was my reason for quadruple booting also 8 Dev Prev. But this OS again got unusable.-

I want to buy 8 and later upgrade to 8.1. Hence how should I do that? I definitely don't want to bother with those tiles.- Without easy solution like on dev prev I might buy win 7 from ebay as my Vista is ######ing crap....I've several apps that never worked ok alike Visual Studio etc., which was my reason for quadruple booting also 8 Dev Prev. But this OS again got unusable.-

So just get Windows 7? Or if you're desperate for 8.1 buy this: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It's $5 and puts the start menu back in.

downloaded the release preview last night - utter crap and a waste of downloading space!

The start menu just opens the Start Screen - same as pressing the Windows key.

What planet are they on?

Don't they listen to people anymore?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The only real problem I've faced with 8.1 is that FSX won't run. Out of curiousity, does yours run? And does Prepar3d 1.x run?. Soon I'll be reverting back to RTM 8 since I need FSX for development uses at the moment, but when the final 8.1 release comes around, I'm not going to keep from using the latest operating system because my 7 year old software won't work. Hopefully by 8.1 release, P3D V2 is out and is actually a worthwhile update. It would be really nice to be able to run the latest versions of both Windows and "Flight Simulator."

Regarding 8.1 itself, overall, they have actually made a lot of improvements to the start screen. The seamless transition from the desktop to the start screen is pretty cool (not as in your face as before). Tiles are more customizable (resizable). It's easier to get to the list of all programs on your computer. Lots of new options are available under PC Settings that were only under Control Panel before. Metro apps interactions are better now (I never used any before, but they've made some improvements to interactions with them which makes using them not as much of a pain). It's really not that bad. By now, users that have stuck to using 8 should be used to the new start screen. The old style menu is a thing of the past. It's called change. If you really want the old menu, there's unofficial classic style menus. I imagine if the Metro style screen had been here for years and they switched to the classic menu, people would complain, too. It's all about getting used to something new. It takes time, yes. All worth it in the end with the loads of extended functionality. At least the tiles are big enough that you can't mis-click. :P

Brandon Filer

Didn't try FSX on it, I'm sticking to Windows 7 for the moment.I just installed it as a vmware

on my laptop (also running windows 8).

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

downloaded the release preview last night - utter crap and a waste of downloading space!

The start menu just opens the Start Screen - same as pressing the Windows key.

What planet are they on?

Don't they listen to people anymore?

Another balanced view, thank you.

I wonder why you would download another version of something you clearly don't like?

It might be that they have listened to people who may have made slightly more

constructive criticisms than yours?

Regards,

Nick

I was balanced enough to download it and see for myself,thank you.

Jude Bradley

HughesMDflyer4, on 28 Jun 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

The only real problem I've faced with 8.1 is that FSX won't run. Out of curiousity, does yours run? And does Prepar3d 1.x run?. Soon I'll be reverting back to RTM 8 since I need FSX for development uses at the moment, but when the final 8.1 release comes around, I'm not going to keep from using the latest operating system because my 7 year old software won't work. Hopefully by 8.1 release, P3D V2 is out and is actually a worthwhile update. It would be really nice to be able to run the latest versions of both Windows and "Flight Simulator."

Regarding 8.1 itself, overall, they have actually made a lot of improvements to the start screen. The seamless transition from the desktop to the start screen is pretty cool (not as in your face as before). Tiles are more customizable (resizable). It's easier to get to the list of all programs on your computer. Lots of new options are available under PC Settings that were only under Control Panel before. Metro apps interactions are better now (I never used any before, but they've made some improvements to interactions with them which makes using them not as much of a pain). It's really not that bad. By now, users that have stuck to using 8 should be used to the new start screen. The old style menu is a thing of the past. It's called change. If you really want the old menu, there's unofficial classic style menus. I imagine if the Metro style screen had been here for years and they switched to the classic menu, people would complain, too. It's all about getting used to something new. It takes time, yes. All worth it in the end with the loads of extended functionality. At least the tiles are big enough that you can't mis-click. :P

So your so intent on using 8.1 you'll give it a pass even though it can't run FSX (if I remember correctly you were a big Flight supporter as well)? If it can't run your software what use is it??? That is truly some serious love for Microsoft.

I knew the party would be over at some point and maybe 8.1 is it (FSX end of life with the latest OS's from Microsoft). Long live Windows 7, the new XP (which for FS purposes will have a longer shelf life than XP).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm not giving up software because of Microsoft, I'm giving up software because I want the latest version of my operating system. And according to another post, Prepar3D works just fine. If I can use the latest flight sim with the latest OS, why not do it?

But back to the actual issue with FSX and Flight, I have a feeling that they are both failing to start upon loading their UIs, it is an issue with Windows itself, and these are not the only games/programs having this issue. With this essentially being a beta, surely it will be fixed. I also don't know what me being a Flight supporter has anything to do with Windows 8.1.

Brandon Filer

The only real problem I've faced with 8.1 is that FSX won't run. Out of curiousity, does yours run? And does Prepar3d 1.x run?. 

They both run perfectly fine for me, except for the joystick loss issue, which is fixed by using FSUIPC. But Win 8 is Win7 SP2 with a terrible touch screen UI, which is easily ignored. It takes some research to completely disable UAC. You have to create a second boot option for safe boot, because the F8 key on boot is gone for 95% of the installed PC base. But all in all it's just Win 7 in an ill-fitting suit.

HughesMDflyer4, on 28 Jun 2013 - 9:59 PM, said:

I also don't know what me being a Flight supporter has anything to do with Windows 8.1.

It's just that people have legitimate problems with the direction Microsoft is going for various reasons. The concern is universal yet some people have a somewhat blind support for this company no matter what they do. It's hard to get an objective viewpoint from them. What got me is most here use FSX and when Microsoft releases an OS that can't run the basic life blood of their hobby and this community and someone says that's O.k. I'll switch sims just to have the latest version of Windows is shocking... You would think anyone would say I'll stick with W7 to run the main thing I've invested in for years with countless add-ons. For many of us to throw away years of work just to have Windows 8.1 is unthinkable. Just like Flight was unthinkable to most if it didn't allow us to build on it.

For the sake of this hobby and giving FSX (let alone FS9) a few more years with the latest version of Windows I hope this is just a beta problem and will be fixed for the official release.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2