Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

120 F heat does not stop airlines

US Airways spokesman Todd Lehmacher said the airline now knows that its Boeings can fly at up to 126 degrees, and its Airbus fleet can operate at up to 127.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013/06/29/phoenix-las-vegas-bake-in-scorching-heat/?test=latestnews#ixzz2XdDNtQis

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

It hasn't always been that way.  The modern high bypass turbo fan jet engine has helped that. I recall the old JT8D's would start to have concerns around 110 degrees.

Out here in the sandpit during the summer the temps reach 50 - 60c (140F) easily. Only major change to procedure on the bus is to leave the flaps in config 1 to avoid bleed air faults.

Rob Prest

Alice Springs Airport in Australia can get up to 113 degrees in the summer. They have a bone yard there now too

Matthew Kane

Wait for it, there will be photos soon of aircraft landing gear sinking into hot tarmacs.  Remember last year, with a US Airways CRJ in this situation at KDCA?

In AZ when it gets extremely hot we run the risk of aircraft sinking into the tarmac, as someone stated before.

But its only a dry heat. ;)

Could be worse, I'm guessing no planes flew to Port Martin this day:

Fastest daily average winds: 174 km/h (108 mph); Port Martin (Adélie Land), Antarctica, 24-hour period from 21 March 1951 to 22 March 1951

They did actually stop CRJ ops at KPHX last Saturday - it was 118 and the performance data only went up to like 117.5.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Really? I knew it was a hot one down there, luckily I am on vacation in Colorado and saw snow, something I never see in PHX!!!