Sign in to follow this  
starflight

"WED Contest - Amazing Prize"

This is a brilliant idea, however, a slight word of caution when it comes to the prize. Awhile back, Austin offered a similar prize for the best screenshot taken from XPX. Come the end of the competition, he announced that he won, and his prize would be to make XPX even more awesome!

Only Austin could do something that daft! Lol

When did that happen? Assuming it wasn't an April Fool's prank.

As bad as that sounds, a screenshot is relatively straightforward. Building three good custom airports takes a lot more time. If he did something similar for this, I think there would be a significant backlash and negative PR... the very last thing we need as we try to get more people flying on and developing for X-Plane.

Wish there would be master list, where u check out an airport you want to design to avoid duplicates and to give the more challenging airports to more experienced Wed users.

+1

Great idea!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

When did that happen? Assuming it wasn't an April Fool's prank.

As bad as that sounds, a screenshot is relatively straightforward. Building three good custom airports takes a lot more time. If he did something similar for this, I think there would be a significant backlash and negative PR... the very last thing we need as we try to get more people flying on and developing for X-Plane.

I'll be damned if I can remember and I can't find any mention of it online, but I remember seeing it posted and laughing. Having met Austin briefly, it seemed perfectly in character. This competition is a fantastic idea though.

Despite claims of it being easy to use and some really nice tutorials it looks like I'm going to need a YouTube tutorial in order to grasp it. As much as I'd like to learn (not because of the contest) I'm going to need a walk through on the basics.  I searched briefly but if anyone knows a link please post it.  I think I'd actually enjoy this aspect of the program it I ever got started.

RE Thomason Jr.

I've just discovered that Google's cache link point to a much more informative discussion on WED than the one posted in the OP's quote.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tDym0b1xZ1AJ:www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/wed/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Strange.... :unsure:

There's definitely a problem with their website, the manual ends with the line:

WorldEditor creates its own file, called earth.wed.xml, in the folder that represents your scenery pack. All of your work i

looks like Laminar's content management system has eaten the biggest part of the manual. Perfect timing ! :rolleyes: