Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Who uses the taxing On option ?

I only fly on Vatsim so if there is a controller online I just write down the taxi instructions (AK-B-D-Cross 33R, hold short 06L for example) and then consult the chart of off we go.  Do I make mistakes...yes...but generally it goes ok.  If there no controller online when I am ready to taxi I still consult the chart but just make up my own route to the runway.

I try to taxi real slow when am not familar with the airport. Like JFK for example have you taxi to takeoff in JFK?. Because is very confusing for me specially FSDT JFK V2.

Just as I always try to do a manual landing, to practice flying skills through what is one of the most difficult phases of flight, I also like to manually taxi (if I can find out where FSX has parked my aircraft on the airport taxi diagram :) ). While landing may be the most crucial phase of flight, taxying with a clearance can be real daunting, especially if you are at an unfamilar airport or even at a familar one but with construction that changes the usual taxi clearances.

I have sped up my FSX ATC to make it harder to read and and take down (and removed the ATC text from my monitor), as this is like the real world- certainly on the east coast of the US and I suspect many other busy parts of the world. If I know where I am starting from I use a runway diagram- and before the clearance is received I usually look at the diagram and work out what might be the most direct way to reach the expected take-off runway. Like I would do in RL.

If you get a third party airport with good scenery, markings and lighting, taxying either out to the runway or into the gate (this requires that you make a unique gate for your aircraft sometimes) can be a great experience.

of course, at uncontrolled airports, you just get to the active runway the best way that you can....

Good thread, thanks, Bruce.

Wawo that is true real life experience  you are having with your sim . When you get use to it does it become a lot easyer ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I try to taxi real slow when am not familar with the airport. Like JFK for example have you taxi to takeoff in JFK?. Because is very confusing for me specially FSDT JFK V2.

Wawo that is true real life experience  you are having with your sim . When you get use to it does it become a lot easyer ?

Yes- just like using FS2Crew while flying for correct procedures and checklists, it makes the simming so much more real. Maybe if I didn't know what "real" was it wouldn't matter, but since I do it seems like "cheating" if I don't get at least some of the realism... :)

And yes, like anything unintuitive like flying, the first time you try this stuff you think you will never get it right- but it's a sim and no-one will chew you out... so it's a great way to practice if you want to learn.

My biggest problem is time- with a 6 day a week job and so much other stuff to do when I'm not working.. sometimes all I have time for is to be positioned on the runway with the engines running, takeoff and do a VFR pattern and come land again... but retirement's only a few years away now... :)

Thanks, Bruce.

Yes- just like using FS2Crew while flying for correct procedures and checklists, it makes the simming so much more real. Maybe if I didn't know what "real" was it wouldn't matter, but since I do it seems like "cheating" if I don't get at least some of the realism... :)

And yes, like anything unintuitive like flying, the first time you try this stuff you think you will never get it right- but it's a sim and no-one will chew you out... so it's a great way to practice if you want to learn.

My biggest problem is time- with a 6 day a week job and so much other stuff to do when I'm not working.. sometimes all I have time for is to be positioned on the runway with the engines running, takeoff and do a VFR pattern and come land again... but retirement's only a few years away now... :)

Thanks, Bruce.

I also work an when i don't come home to tired i create a one hour flight an that is it . I will try the taxing first with out the progressive option. I will fallow you guys foot step an aim for the best realism experience for this sim . For routs i still am trying figure out how manage to get routs an even charts from flightaware.com , the only problem is i don't remember how i did it in the past.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Don't be fooled!  Life gets even busier.  I wonder how I ever found time for work. ^_^

Supporter.png

John

Before you call for taxi make sure that you know where you are located on the airport. Study the map. Try to estimate which taxi route you are most likely to get before you call up. Then once you have received your clearance you look at your chart again. Count how many intersections you need to pass before you need to turn to another taxiway / runway. Once you got a good mental picture of where you need to taxi you can start your actual taxi to the runway. It's important that you maintain situational awareness, it's easy to miss your turnoff point. But with practice this becomes easier and easier and after a while you'll ask yourself why you didn't do this from the start :)

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Don't be fooled! Life gets even busier. I wonder how I ever found time for work. ^_^

Oh no...... :)

Before you call for taxi make sure that you know where you are located on the airport. Study the map. Try to estimate which taxi route you are most likely to get before you call up. Then once you have received your clearance you look at your chart again. Count how many intersections you need to pass before you need to turn to another taxiway / runway. Once you got a good mental picture of where you need to taxi you can start your actual taxi to the runway. It's important that you maintain situational awareness, it's easy to miss your turnoff point. But with practice this becomes easier and easier and after a while you'll ask yourself why you didn't do this from the start :)

I will try that an take my time only if my FS Captain setting lets me . I get complains from the cabin crew an passengers when i arrive late to my destination lol .  Now that you put it that way imagine if we had extremely thick fog on the runway when taxing that would make taxing a lot harder an interesting for fsx.

Mr Leny

I never touch default ATC. Try vatsim, IVAO, or Pilot Edge.

(I don't use progressive taxi - I always have charts).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don;t think an airport would be open for business if the fog is that thick that airplanes cannot see eachother on the taxi and runways.

Oh yeah they're open. Big airports use ASDE-X, basically a radar that uses acft transponders to map where the planes are. This assists controllers in poor visibility and nighttime.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They operate at down to 75m visibility, they can't really afford to shut down airports. Notice how incredibly thick the fog is

vatsim s3

1133704.png

They operate at down to 75m visibility, they can't really afford to shut down airports

Depends on what airport your  talking  about  here,  few weeks ago they closed yssy  airport  due  to fog  and had  to divert  aircraft  to ybbn  or  ymml

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Oh yeah they're open. Big airports use ASDE-X, basically a radar that uses acft transponders to map where the planes are. This assists controllers in poor visibility and nighttime.

Is it  a big challenge for pilots to taxi an takeoff in thick fog weather condition ?  I guest taxing for takeoff goes pretty slow when thick fog is hitting the runway. If i was a pilot i think i would call in sick that day LOL .

Mr Leny

Why not just spawn to the active rwy :P

Because that would be unrealistic :rofl:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png