Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

Split-Scimitar Winglet Modeling on the NGX?

I bet it costs a chunk a change to repair a whacked SSW.. I know it's not cheap getting

them installed to begin with. Everything for airplanes is high $$$..  :o

It seems a load of SWA 738's have them now, and I guess increasing all the time if they

haven't done them all yet.

Hi there,

Since last month a big Boeing fleet company in Brazil, started using a NG (PR-GUG) with split scimitar winglets. Well, I hope PMDG was thinking in make a "update" on their model.

20627632498_5bdd6e1296_b.jpg

Regards,

Hi Saul,

could you help PMDG to update their model by sending to the developpers all the aerodynamics data (equations) necessary to make a realistic simulation of the new 737 with "scimitar" winglets? (just an "eye-candy" external update is a nonsense according to me)...

Ciao

Andrea B.

sending to the developpers all the aerodynamics data (equations) necessary to make a realistic simulation

You nailed it.

Would look better with crossguard winglets that unleashed a powerful blade and made a cool WOOSH WOOSH sound.  :lol:  :LMAO:

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Out of curiosity, does the P-8 use different data, or is it just a visual update? I never fly it so I have no idea.

Interesting, I thought this was clearly answered. The P-8 is the PMDG B738 with a different exterior model. Use different data? Uh, you mean different weights, speed, etc.? No, it is the same as the PMDG B738 with a different exterior model.  Different navdata? No.

Dan Downs KCRP

Interesting, I thought this was clearly answered. The P-8 is the PMDG B738 with a different exterior model. Use different data? Uh, you mean different weights, speed, etc.? No, it is the same as the PMDG B738 with a different exterior model.  Different navdata? No.

Ok, thank you. I feel that if they could release the P-8 exterior model for free, they could do so with the Split-Scimitar winglets. IMO it would be a waste for them to add the associated aerodynamic data, as the fuel savings are something you would barely notice on a normal flight. 

Ok, thank you. I feel that if they could release the P-8 exterior model for free, they could do so with the Split-Scimitar winglets. IMO it would be a waste for them to add the associated aerodynamic data, as the fuel savings are something you would barely notice on a normal flight. 

Also my opinion. It would be great just to have the visual. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Personally I find them ugly as sin but that's just me.

Just to clarify, I am not attempting to stoke the coals. Just legitimately curious. When the question of SSW's was previously mentioned, the response from PMDG was that in order for them to implement it, they would have to modify the numbers to match the real SSW equipped aircraft. This I can understand, and let it go at that.

But, if the P-8 is in fact just a visual modification, with no other changes to the aircraft's systems or performance numbers, does this not set the precedent that PMDG is in fact willing to do just a visual update? Again, just to clarify, I am not in any way attempting to be snarky. Personally, I would love to have the SSW's as an option. Perhaps even as a paid add on pack. I would bet there would be lots of customers willing to pay a fair fee for this "upgrade", even if it is just a visual model update.

My 2 cents worth on the topic.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

But, if the P-8 is in fact just a visual modification, with no other changes to the aircraft's systems or performance numbers, does this not set the precedent that PMDG is in fact willing to do just a visual update? Again, just to clarify, I am not in any way attempting to be snarky. Personally, I would love to have the SSW's as an option. Perhaps even as a paid add on pack. I would bet there would be lots of customers willing to pay a fair fee for this "upgrade", even if it is just a visual model update.

The P8 was a one-off freebee that they had developed for the Navy, and decided to make available to us. They may very well have modelled the full performance but are not going to release that sort of info to the public, if they had. Getting the visual model was just a nice gift from them.

People need to understand this was NOT developed for us, the public.

As far as SSW go, I could see perhaps a 3rd addon/expansion at some point, perhaps adding the -900ER, SSW, BBJ. Or, more radically, the MAX. I would expect this sort of addon to be paid rather than a free service pack.

I think at this point all efforts are on the 747v2 and DC6 etc, and so developing a free SSW visual model is probably low on the agenda.