Sign in to follow this  
gnomegemini

Fly-By-Wire of the 777 and it's simulation

PMDG's silence on this matter is deafening. It would be nice to get an official statement on their thoughts about this.

In their defence....there are quite a few a other more important problems they are working on.

Even if the FBW is not perfectly modelled, we can still fly.

But just put in a support ticket also.

I will do the same.

The more of those they get, the more likely I think it is they will take a look at it.

Rob Robson

What I noticed was with a mere two degrees flare, I floated and touched down so gentle there was zero sound from the gear, the ultimate greaser, which as you know isn't good landing technique. I'm surprised the speed brakes deployed it was so gentle.

I totally understand where you are coming with this Martin. There is an easy tendency to float long with the flare.

On another note, I also feel that there has to be a better "feedback" in terms of knowing when your main gears touchdown, especially on those "greasers". Maybe a shake of the view, or the sound of some rattle in the flight deck...something :)

Cheers,

Dinshaw Parakh. 

I totally understand where you are coming with this Martin. There is an easy tendency to float long with the flare.

On another note, I also feel that there has to be a better "feedback" in terms of knowing when your main gears touchdown, especially on those "greasers". Maybe a shake of the view, or the sound of some rattle in the flight deck...something :)

Cheers,

Dinshaw Parakh.

Maybe you should get the Buttkicker :-)

(that realy is the name of the device....Google it!)

Rob Robson

Maybe you should get the Buttkicker :-)

(that realy is the name of the device....Google it!)

Hahahaha, Thanks Rob, but I have a chair with wheels. Damn thing might roll away with the vibration and I would not be able to reach my toe brakes  :P

Cheers and happy landings in the real world

Dinshaw Parakh

Hahahaha, Thanks Rob, but I have a chair with wheels. Damn thing might roll away with the vibration and I would not be able to reach my toe brakes  :P

Cheers and happy landings in the real world

Dinshaw Parakh

Yes same here....should have parking brake these office chairs :-)

Holliday at the moment which is why I have a lot of time at the moment to try stuff and write here.

thx though :-)

Rob Robson

As I mentioned in a simulated thread here (I tested both normal and secondary mode)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419407-hand-flying-tips/page-3#entry2792246

I have no more or better/clearer info on the subject, so thats it for me.

I will put in a support ticket as well.

One more thread about this topic:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418721-question-about-trim-on-final-777/page-4#entry2793263

Rob Robson

Cheers,

Dinshaw Parakh. 

Landing was great with auto thrust off, it seems to be with auto thrust on there's a tendency to float.

I'm just about to do some more tests.

From what I understand, landings in the 777 are done with auto thrust on. I believe many company SOP's demand it.

Rob... are there any airlines out there that permit 777 landings with auto thrust off?

Landing was great with auto thrust off, it seems to be with auto thrust on there's a tendency to float.

I'm just about to do some more tests.

From what I understand, landings in the 777 are done with auto thrust on. I believe many company SOP's demand it.

Rob... are there any airlines out there that permit 777 landings with auto thrust off?

I was told by LH Captains (they are getting freighter) that their SOP states manual flying should be done with AP and AT disconnected.

We have as recommendation AT engaged, but we can disconnect it if we want.

So yes, absolutely ok.

It is also something you have to demonstrate in the sim every now and then.

And you know what....with all the manual flying I did not even do a landing with AT engaged, lol.

Rob Robson

I also feel "more control" with AT off, tried AT on landing and it tends to float, maybe AT commands idle thrust a little bit later than I manually do.

I also feel "more control" with AT off, tried AT on landing and it tends to float, maybe AT commands idle thrust a little bit later than I manually do.

I've just finished testing the landing with A/T on.

It was fine, quite good actually. With no flare I hit the ground at about -500FPM. With a 2 degree flare the landing was perfect. Not too light, not too hard.

The trick is a couple of degrees flare only, just a touch. As Rob recommended. I've seen other real world resources that say the same.

PMDG seems to have done a good job in this respect. Must have been my error last time.

maybe AT commands idle thrust a little bit later than I manually do.

Yep, you are probably at idle sooner, and flaring more. I've seen Youtube videos where there's virtually no flare, and others where there's quite considerable. Probably related to whether auto thrust was on or off, and numerous other factors.

I was told by LH Captains (they are getting freighter) that their SOP states manual flying should be done with AP and AT disconnected.

We have as recommendation AT engaged, but we can disconnect it if we want.

So yes, absolutely ok.

It is also something you have to demonstrate in the sim every now and then.

And you know what....with all the manual flying I did not even do a landing with AT engaged, lol.

Thanks Rob.

I put it down a little hard yesterday, and the banging from the aircraft hitting the tarmac was definitely louder than I usually hear, so it seems they definitely considered hard vs. soft landings in the audio.

Best regards,

Robin.

Definitely Robin, I've had them so soft you can't hear the gear impact the tarmac, and a pretty loud bang.