How on earth do you figure that? Apart from making it run hotter, more prone to failure, and increasing the risk of data corruption, there is no discernible benefit.

Best regards,

Robin.

Robin really what rubbish you speak. If you were up to speed you would be aware that overclocking is relatively easy these days. Motherboards are designed for it and MB manufacturers actively promote it.

As for a CPU being more prone to failure, I have NEVER had a CPU fail due to overclocking. In addition, Intel will provide you with the Performance Tuning Plan, your CPU would be insured against any overclocking failure. Destroy your CPU with overclocking and Intel will send you a new one. And the insurance I speak of costs a mere £18. [That's for my 3770K]

As for heat, with a high end air cooler, like my NH-D14, FSX runs at 55 degrees, that's at 4.5 GHz. I believe you will find that's as cool as the stock Intel cooler. No heat issues at all, and a handy boost in performance, free of charge. That's 30% performance increase for free.

It's only with extreme overclocking that heat becomes an issue. Requiring de-lidding, due to the stupid decision by Intel to use TIM under the IHS.

You really should get up to speed before commenting.

Overclocking is risky and if you have time and money fool around with it fsx loves overclocking as fps reflects this. AMD would not recommend it for fsx if you have money to spend on intel CPU. I5 4670k at stock speed 3.4 is equal and 8350 overclocked 5.0. If you play other games amd is better deal easier to upgrade thier cpu.

It all depends what settings are ran fsx I personally do not overclock. I do not have 1000s dollars laying around to fix things if overclock goes haywire. It's not just upping multipler on the intel CPU with k and call it good. Need to understand voltages and ram timings and stress tests mircomaging to me. Also with overclocking gotta monitor fan speeds, CPU temps . All Take 25% off in fps and upgrade the CPU and take more conservative upgrade approach and

after 3 yeairs it translates into 20% increase in cpu performance.

Overclocking is great but be prepared for problems that can arise need to understand phow computer hardware works.

I've been OC'ing chips since those heady Athlon days to boost FSX performance and have yet to burn up a CPU or suffer a premature failure. Of course I'm not running a given chip for 10 years either. I've run both AMD and Intel FSX dedicated rigs. My AMD 965 Phenom BE OC'd at around 4 Ghz comes nowhere close to my 3770K even running at its native clock frequency. I would love it if FSX was optimized to fully take advantage of today's monster GPU's, hyperthreading etc. I'm not into the "how fast can you run it" mentality either. A moderate overclock with lots of thermal head room and decent cooling is what I  aim for. FSX is fickle enough on its own without also having to deal with an unstable overclock. I love AMD. In fact, I'd probably still be running them where it not for FSX. I agree that they're a better value overall. Regards

Overclocking is risky

Only if you have no idea what you are doing.

spacer.png

Only if you have no idea what you are doing.

Precisely, well said!

Moderate overclocking is relatively safe these days, and easy, but that doesn't mean it's wise to dive in head first without a scrap of research. Research, and common sense are required.

But when someone like Robin comes along and claims overclocking offers no benefit, and will most definitely render our CPU' a blob of molten metal, then quite frankly that belief is so far away from reality it's almost bizarre.

A moderate overclock with lots of thermal head room and decent cooling is what I  aim for.

Yep, me too. Pushing the extra few MHz, for the sake of one two frames is not worth it to me. My 3770K at 4.5 GHz, and 55 degrees in FSX, like you say, offers loads of thermal headroom.

There is nothing wrong with AMD and FSX. Have 6300 @4.59 Gig and its fine. Yes intel is better, but AMD is ok too

Overclocking is risky and if you have time and money fool around with it fsx loves overclocking as fps reflects this.

I'm afraid this is overly simplistic. Overvolting & operating temps over spec involve risk, but not 'overclocking' per se, since it is possible to significantly overclock many processors w/o exceeding, as Intel states it, the 'functional operating limits' of chip. I'm able to run my SB-E chip at 4.4Ghz w/ VID of 1.27v, core temps below 56C, so risk here is basically...none. Unfortunately amping up clock speed beyond a certain point, chip specific, begins to demand more volts & better cooling, and the curve that describes this goes up steeply & quickly to the point of diminishing returns, poorer and poorer efficiency, and heightened risk for premature failure. I destroyed an expensive chip once doing this, running the chip at the 'absolute maximum' vCore of 1.45v. Since learning more about this my risk tolerance has diminished, and I'm very happy w/ the 4.4Ghz my SB-E chip runs at now. Since, IB-E *should* be compatible w/ my socket 2011 motherboard once this is confirmed w/ a BIOS update, if it indeed is, I may decide to aim for 5Ghz overclock as I'll have a nice replacement, maybe, for my SB-E chip. I would do this to take advantage of PCIe 3.0 which may matter eventually for some simulator yet to come. All this would hinge on IB-E using fluxless solder, or some other property that conveys the fabulous overclockability the SB-E chip has. Even so, this would, from a practical standpoint, be somewhat silly since clock-for-clock performance for IB over SB is only ~5%, and this is always nearly irrelevant in every domain, FSX notwithstanding, excepting synthetic benchmarking per se. I think the main value for IB-E going into my 2011 socket is really more about being able to use the platform longer since at some point SB-E replacement chips will become progressively less available.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X