Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

You have 52K of thrust? I have 220,000 pounds...

Regarding PFPX: I don't think the subscription is a bad idea at all. I mean, we pay to keep our AIRACs current correct? This is just another good investment in my opinion. I bought Aerosofts NavData the other day and it's been way better than the other company in my opinion - properly named fixes on SID/STAR/Approaches is the biggest thing. Just under 30 quid to keep PMDG & PFPX current for next year - HIGHLY recommend. 

These two shots I think I never got round to uploading. One is when two guys met me in Arlanda and other is Craig from the forums who met me at Heathrow..

One is when two guys met me in Arlanda and other is Craig from the forums who met me at Heathrow..

haha NICE!  I was looking for that one.  Too bad we couldn't figure out how to show me as the ngx.  It would have been like a family portrait.  

YES! Preview number 3 I'm in! We followed Luke on final off each wing too  :P

Awesome Luke!

Sorry to be off topic guys but Luke where and how do you get the best routes for the FMC? Not just for the 777 but for any PMDG FMC... Any help would be awesome and sorry for the noob question.  :ph34r:

Awesome Luke!

Sorry to be off topic guys but Luke where and how do you get the best routes for the FMC? Not just for the 777 but for any PMDG FMC... Any help would be awesome and sorry for the noob question.  :ph34r:

He mentioned for his Emirates flights he had access to the real OFP's... So he was using the route that the real flight he was simulating was using.

For flights in the US and other areas which are covered, I suggest FlightAware.

There are also numerous websites which upload real AFTN messages which include flightplan information (edi-gla for example).

If you feel like a bit of a challenge, have a gander at Kyle's excellent flight-planning tutorial(s); Basic and Advanced

Otherwise wait 6 days for PFPX to be release and used the automated route-builder which is included B)

It will be 14.90 Euros for the PFPX subscription fee if anyone is wondering, which isn't that bad.

Moses Velasquez

In case you have missed it: Aerosoft just released the manual for PFPX. See here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/68662-preview-pfpx-professional-flight-planner-x/page-6

Very interesting surprise on page 8, though: after 1 year, you can buy a "server subscription" in order to continue getting the flightplan-relevant data, that is: METAR, TAF, Accurate Upper Wind Forecast Model, NOTAMs, NATs, PACOTs and AUSOTs. The users at the TOPCATSIM forum don't seem to be too happy about that

People are surprised about this? The data is freely available, but people can't live on free. It's also a growing trend with all programs - they charge monthly/yearly subscriptions to use them so they can offer software at rock bottom prices, but still make enough money (or in most cases, more).

My biggest concern is what happens if the server disappears, or the data formats change? Will they really go to the trouble of re-writing the application to keep it compatible? What if the data stops being available? You end up paying a lot of money for something that could evaporate rapidly.

Generally speaking, if it requires an internet connection to work, I'm not buying it.

Best regards,

Robin.

Generally speaking, if it requires an internet connection to work, I'm not buying it.

Best regards,

Robin.

For me, it's not that it requires the internet connection. That you already need for the current weather, NATs etc. What might be kind of a deal-breaker for me is the recurrent fee. I was very much looking forward to this program because it was described as "one-stop shop". Now I find out that I probably have to get (freely available) information from different places all over the internet after one year if I am not willing to pay € 15 a year (after paying some € 50 for the program itself).

I understand that there is server-traffic involved. I don't understand why other companies (REX, AES etc.) do not charge for that "service" and, most of all, why they build PFPX in a way that collects the relevant data on their own server before transferring it to the user's client. There might be reasons for it, but I somehow have the impression that it is kind of a business model. Why download the data from various resources on the internet directly to the client and do the required calculations there if you could do it on your own server and charge the customers afterwards.

Kind regards,

Markus

I really dont understand the issue. If your going to use it lots than 15Euros a year is really very little. People pay $100 a year for a GQ subscription which they only get 12 issues of, you may buy a paper once a week, you may pay $10 for iphone tethering each month etc etc etc So many different subscriptions - yet when a Flight Sim company tries that business model people start complaining that its unfair. Its your choice to buy it.

It really is not that much for the service you get and it must be getting tougher to survive in this market.

As for why companies like REX dont charge - I think the reason is because the customer base is probably much larger in the first place - they probably build in a small fee onto the purchase price to cover costs. PFPX is a much more niche product.

There are no real worries to have in case the server disappears or anything, it's been explained by the devleoper, while there is te online feature, it is not mandatory at all. That means without the servers the only thing is that you have to do things manually. You can load data for weather from Active Sky or REX and support for OpusFSX and FSRGW will be added. Then only thing left is the oceacic tracks, which you can also load manually per manual. So I've no worries about the server disappearing that would not make it unusuable.

But actually that is a problem shared by other software, like Active Sky, has its own servers too, and when they are not working, the software does not work at all. 

Active sky and OPUS get their data straight from NOAA which offers free data so hence the no need for a subscription.

well I think that would be better to discuss at Aerosoft's forum it's quite out of the subject here :) But the thing is there are many things going on on theirservers with the data before it is given to PFPX, hence the server usage. I don't know more but anyway thoe who don't like it will just have to not use the online part once the first year expires. 

Active sky and OPUS get their data straight from NOAA which offers free data so hence the no need for a subscription.

So does REX.

Hey Luke, 

Thought this would be as good place as any for this request. 

If it's not too much trouble can you take a set of screenshots with the Singapore Airlines livery? Would be much appreciated.