Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How much does an airline pilot make?

Adding to Rónán's points, at least the Lufthansa folks want 60.000 Euros back after you've finished the training. So that's what you have to pay from your first 'real' income.

If you receive a contract from a Lufthansa Group company upon completing your training, you will then contribute to your qualification costs: your individual stake is 60,000.- Euros which you will pay off at a monthly rate beginning from 300.- Euros.

Source. http://www.be-lufthansa.com/fileadmin/fm-lufthansabe/PDFs/B1_1_Pilot/LH_E_Pilot.pdf

And lets not forget what people like Mr. Sully explained. After the media called them heroes, they didn't actually get paid like that. :(

However I am now 37, is it too late for me to become one?

It's a shame that you didn't think about this when you were 27.  We squander away our youth, taking it for granted. All the while, never thinking for a moment, that it is irreplaceable. But then, many times you are not settled and ready to really choose a career until you are past 30.

We'd be similar to Lufthansa then only that we pay the cadets less for the first 2 years, they just make them pay it back, same thing really.

Of course, if a cadet leaves before the first 5 years they're liable to pay back the cost remaining divided by five and multiplied by the number of years left till you've been working 5 years. We're not going to invest €125,000 in a pilot only to have them walk out the door the moment we've finished their line training.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Yeah, just one....

Do you employ Americans?! 

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

I've been told by several AA pilots to avoid the career and that it "ain't what it used to be". Right now I'm going after the aircraft maintenance route and even though that pay isn't wonderful when you start off I'll at least be home after every shift.

Yeah, just one....

Do you employ Americans?! 

Yup, I was even paired with an American FO there a couple weeks ago. You do require unrestricted access to work within the EU though.

I've been told by several AA pilots to avoid the career and that it "ain't what it used to be". Right now I'm going after the aircraft maintenance route and even though that pay isn't wonderful when you start off I'll at least be home after every shift.

No, certainly not what it used to be, particularly at the regionals in America the T&Cs have declined to peanuts or in places like Ryanair, but there are still plenty of good jobs out there with conditions, while not as great as they were 30 years ago, are still well paying and provide a comfortable standard of living.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Direct Entry FO (DEFO): We steal FOs from other airlines or people who did their training themselves without our backing, who have fATPL, CPL, MEIR, JOC, MCC, PPL etc and 250+ hours TT.

Ive got 250 TT and a Canadian multi engine and instrument rating! Do i fit the mold? haha 

I also have a dutch passport so i guess i should probably be knocking on KLMs door if they offer this.... Beats bush flying up north in Canada. 

Duco

When I was younger I always wanted to become a pilot. However I am now 37, is it too late for me to become one? I want to fly commercial airliners such as the 777. But I think it's too late for that. :(

It's never too late to chase your dreams brother. Stay true to yourself and do what you love and you will always be successful.

You can make it happen.

Looks like I'm going to Ireland ;) I can fly those new ATRs

How many US expats do you get, Ró?

Looks like I'm going to Ireland ;) I can fly those new ATRs

How many US expats do you get, Ró?

The new ATRs fly for Aer Lingus Regional operated by Aer Arann, not Aer Lingus. Pay is alright there but not as good, and they're currently planning to strike over pay, so things don't look quite as happy there. Come work for us and we'll slap you up at the pointy end of a nice A320 and pay you better for it too...  ^_^

Of the top of my head I can think of 9 lads out of the 550 or so that are from the States, I'm probably missing one or two though.

On a side note, managed to get up front in the new 72-600s, very nice aircraft, much more modern than the -500s, which weren't bad at all...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Beats bush flying up north in Canada. 

Duco

I'm starting a new thread on this one. It's sure fun Alaska Bush flying in FS, I always thought in the real world it would be a blast not to mention the privateer earning potential...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I had a feeling that might have been the case, hence the question mark. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Regards,

Ró.

You're welcome :).

Ive got 250 TT and a Canadian multi engine and instrument rating! Do i fit the mold? haha 

I also have a dutch passport so i guess i should probably be knocking on KLMs door if they offer this.... Beats bush flying up north in Canada. 

Duco

As a Dutch citizen you can live and work anywhere in the EU, so no need to limit yourself to KLM. You would need to get your license converted I think, which can be done but does involve cutting through some red tape.

The new ATRs fly for Aer Lingus Regional operated by Aer Arann, not Aer Lingus. Pay is alright there but not as good, and they're currently planning to strike over pay, so things don't look quite as happy there. Come work for us and we'll slap you up at the pointy end of a nice A320 and pay you better for it too... ^_^

Of the top of my head I can think of 9 lads out of the 550 or so that are from the States, I'm probably missing one or two though.

On a side note, managed to get up front in the new 72-600s, very nice aircraft, much more modern than the -500s, which weren't bad at all...

Regards,

Ró.

What are the requirements to be hired there?

What are the requirements to be hired there?

fATPL, CPL, MEIR, JOC and MCC. Nothing else, the rest will be based on our own internal process of psychometric tests, short interviews, group challenges, simulator tests, panel interviews and a psychologists assesment.

A320 type rating is desirable but not required. We're just entering the final stages of DEFO selection at the minute, if I'd known you were interested I'd have gladly passed on your details for you. I'll give you  a heads up next time though if you like, I'm guessing about 12-16 months. 

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

fATPL, CPL, MEIR, JOC and MCC. Nothing else, the rest will be based on our own internal process of psychometric tests, short interviews, group challenges, simulator tests, panel interviews and a psychologists assesment.

A320 type rating is desirable but not required. We're just entering the final stages of DEFO selection at the minute, if I'd known you were interested I'd have gladly passed on your details for you. I'll give you a heads up next time though if you like, I'm guessing about 12-16 months.

Regards,

Ró.

Well I have my ATP I'm not sure of all that other stuff haha!