Sign in to follow this  
realkewl

It's not just FSX, Microsoft is getting out of the PC business

I don't know - it could be because of too much competition from Steam, Origin, GoG etc.

As I've long suspected, sales of gaming PCs are actually still very strong. Tablets and other mobile devices are primarily replacing low-end desktops and laptops, not gaming PCs.

http://www.legitreviews.com/analyst-says-pc-gaming-hardware-sales-strong-despite-pc-market-decline_15835

I think Microsoft is making a big mistake in assuming the PC desktop market is dead. With Windows 8.1, by restoring the start button and adding "boot to desktop" option, they're already acknowledging that they went too far in the direction of touch and tablets. Wouldn't surprise me if Windows 9 offers a complete desktop-only mode more similar to Windows 7 (but with a flatter look sans translucency and shiny, bulbous icons).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

what does this mean for Flight and FSX which are sold that way?

Will I be able to purchase Games for Windows Live games in other marketplaces now that Games for Windows Live titles are no longer available on Xbox.com?

Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace. For other titles, please check directly with the title’s publishers.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/pc-marketplace-closing

Check out this link:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/16/microsoft-to-stop-selling-pc-games-on-xbox-com/

Sad sad day. Seems to me they are going after the mobile, tablet market full force.

-Ray

I think desktops are moving where they should:  towards higher end science & business & ... enthusiast gaming ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't think this means much at all.

How many actually buy from Microsoft themselves anyways....I can't think of one game/sim I have gotten from them. I am almost Origin, and Steam 100%. If not, Amazon fits the bill nicely. 

PC Gaming/Simulation will not go anywhere. We are getting to places now with our hardware so quick, that there is a sure and strong market out for it. I think, until VR becomes super mainstream PC gaming will stay a niche market......a strong niche market that is.

Am I missing something...? Isn't this only about games for the PC? I don't read anything about MS getting out of the PC business...

Pc gaming is almost obsolete. Everything is mobile or console...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Am I missing something...? Isn't this only about games for the PC? I don't read anything about MS getting out of the PC business...

But does it mean Flight and FSX will no longer be available - except for existing boxed set of FSX on retailers' shelves? see post #3

Yes, it is only Microsoft selling games....not hardware, or anything else. And PC gaming isn't almost obsolete IMO....If it was, support for it would be much like FSX, and obsolete platform, with only a handful of serious developers working on it.

Have you seen mainstream games on Best Buy shelves? The 90's and early 2000's were PC gaming's hayday. You'll still find some big titles on digital download (eg BF3 COD Everquest HL based titles Sports)

Mobile is the future ( and I'm a PC fan)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

AFAIK MS has not done anything noteworthy in pc gaming for a while so who cares...?

spacer.png

I don't think it is.  PC gaming hardware already surpassed the next gen consoles (XB one, PS4).  There's more developers for PC games than there are for all consoles combined (source).  I wouldn't call it obsolete just yet.

I think the PC will always win as the best gaming platform because the better hardware will produce the better visuals, and I think I developers know that. 

Consoles are mainly popular cause they're cheaper and in the living room.  With all the restrictions, dropped backwards compatibility, subscription fees, etc... that next gen consoles are bringing I wouldn't be surprised to see a surge of people going back to the PC Platform.

There's more developers for PC games than there are for all consoles combined (source). I wouldn't call it obsolete just yet.

LOL Yes, that doesn't look obsolete at all. ^_^

OP, this article may suggest otherwise...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-14-former-steam-boss-lands-at-microsoft

Quote...

"Yes, I have joined Microsoft where I will be focusing on making Windows a great platform for gaming and interactive entertainment," he said. "I think there is a lot of opportunity for Microsoft to deliver the games and entertainment customers want and to work with developers to make that happen, so I'm excited to be here."

A tournament for the PC game DOTA 2 called "The International" was just run last week with a total prize pool of over $10 million ($1.7 million to the winners, a team from Sweden) - the final had over a million simultaneous viewers on twitch.tv. PC gaming is far from obsolete or dead.

Also, no one buys PC games at retail stores anyway - it's all through digital services like Steam, Origin, Battle.net etc now. I seriously can't remember the last time I bought a boxed game.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com